Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techniques for Texturing the Racing Line?

Quote Originally Posted by blakboks View Post
    Hey MaXyM,
    The road looks fantastic in that video, but I think we can get at least 90% of that look with just a good diffuse and specular map .
    I cannot agree with that because there are 2 main problems to reach a goal a way you are referred to:
    1. shaders provided with rF are quite simplified. There is no Fresnel effect for example. Using original shaders you may mix textures adding specular, but you cannot affect transparency of mixed textures depending on camera-object-sun angle. In our case we mix tarmac diffuse texture, skids black texture, specular main texture, specular additional texture and of course bump texture. Additionally we may control how much bumps sticks out a surface (ie simulating lines paint wearing). It's the reason why you cannot reach the same visual effect as using shaders from SRPL pack.

2. you must provide as much diffuse and specular textures as number of different looking parts of tarmac. Which is inefficient of course.
    Our (Krzysztof's) shader works similar to vanilla best line generated by rf: just uses single RGBA texture over whole track. Best line shape and intensity is read from AIW by special tool, modifying track surface objects.

Result is amazingly dynamic. The view is changing not only by changing direction of driving (around a track) but also minute by minute when sun is moving over a sky.

Somewhere day dreaming about travelling around the world
    Quote Originally Posted by blakboks View Post
    My impression is that you have to basically 'hack' one of the factory shaders in order to use the new shader, right? You're just basically inserting new code for all calls of that particular shader? Or are you actually creating a new instance and it's only being used where you've applied it?
    Nope, you can add your own GFX file, call it whatever you want and rfactor just loads all gfx files in the shared folder. Then you can add as many shaders as you like in there, just give them a unique name. Of course take the existing shaders as a base, but if you rename it appropriately, it wont overwrite any others.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sawczuk View Post
    It's easy to create new shaders, and for your textured racing line, take a look at my Jerez
    Very nice! How did you get the fog to change with the time of day? I've been somewhat disappointed with the way fog works with rFactor (as I understand it at the moment). It'd be nice if you could define different fog for the different times of the day, and whether or not the skybox(i) were rendered with/without fog. During a clear day, I'd prefer to only have the fog act as atmospheric perspective; which my skybox(i) textures already have built into them. At night, I'd like to turn the value of the fog down quite a bit. And on a cloudy day, it'd be nice to actually have some 'real' fog to limit your visibility.

What's causing the "high frequency noise" (to use a technical term) on the road surface on Jerez? Is that the spec map? diffuse map?

As far as the 'racing line' goes; it 'seems' as though it's actually inverted to how it 'should' be. You have it such that it's more visible at a distance (lower eye angle), and less visible nearby (higher eye angle). It 'seems' as though it should be the other way around. I don't know if this is actually how it is or what, it just seems a bit 'off' is all. I do appreciate what you're trying to do, and it definitely looks better than standard techniques! I just thought I'd mention it as constructive criticism, I'm not trying to downplay your achievements in any way shape or form.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Sawczuk View Post
    Nope, you can add your own GFX file, call it whatever you want and rfactor just loads all gfx files in the shared folder. Then you can add as many shaders as you like in there, just give them a unique name. Of course take the existing shaders as a base, but if you rename it appropriately, it wont overwrite any others.
    Sweet! I will definitely have to look into this more as I get into it some more. I've dabbled in programming before, I've even tried writing a particle shader for Mental Ray/XSI--unfortunately without much success--probably not the best place to start shader writing! hahah I think I had the 'shader' part of it down pat, but I struggled in sampling the particle data.

Are people releasing shaders to the mod community? I think I saw a really nice billboard tree shader that takes the sun angle into account that I could REALLY use on my current track, a much better water shader, and of course, that track surface shader you've got for Jerez.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Sounds like an awful lot of work for something normally done with a single mouse click in the AIW editor...
    How can you do it? I neeed this to complete my track details