Thread: External Docking Tutorial

External Docking Tutorial

Hi Guys,

it's me again :-)

Today i've managed the external docking tutorial for the first time. It was a very rewarding feeling :-)

I must say i've tried this tutorial dozens of times without success. Since today i know why:

The tutorial is missing an essential hint. Maybe for most of you this is obviously but not for me :-/

I had to check the "EMERG CLAMP" button on the "EA/D Ports" tab. This button then changed to "ATTEMPT DOCK".

Without pressing this button the ship won't connect to the station even when all parameter are right and fine alignment is perfect.

Another thing the tutorial should mention is that you have use the "AFT TOWING" camera when you use the "AFT DOCKING PORT" :-) (Or am I able to tock instruments only in FORWARD view?)

Edit: And why are the Left/Right translate keymappings inverted when I change to the AFT camera ? Very confusing while doing the fine alignments.

Hi Robberer,
    Whilst I haven't tried the docking tutorial specifically in a long time, it should definitely NOT be necessary to engage the emergency clamp on a powered and responding station.

If you have requested docking, and had a docking port allocated (localizer provided), you should only then need to meet the docking parameters until you touch the docking ring...the station itself will clamp you.

However,
    What has happened in the past is, as changes are made to the station power mechanics, it's possible for a station to run out of power. In that case, though, they should also not reply back on the radios, so you should know if that's what's happened.

If I get a chance tonight, I'll try the docking tutorial (with both docking ports) and see what happens.

*edit* I should note, it IS necessary to engage the emergency clamp for the "Station Rescue" mission, as , in this case the station is unpowered, and only capable of running the localizer radios on emergency power.

Quote Originally Posted by robberer View Post
    Today i've managed the external docking tutorial for the first time. It was a very rewarding feeling :-)
    Congratulations man, it is very rewarding indeed (I still remember my first successful dock), but it gets even better when you rendezvous and dock with other station on sandbox mode.

I had to check the "EMERG CLAMP" button on the "EA/D Ports" tab. This button then changed to "ATTEMPT DOCK".
    It's been a long time since I tried the external docking tutorial, but as Nemises said, the connecting process, in normal conditions, is automatic, you don't need to use the emergency clamps button.

Another thing the tutorial should mention is that you have use the "AFT TOWING" camera when you use the "AFT DOCKING PORT" :-) (Or am I able to tock instruments only in FORWARD view?)
    I think this is optional, I don't change cameras when docking, mostly because of...

And why are the Left/Right translate keymappings inverted when I change to the AFT camera ? Very confusing while doing the fine alignments.
    ...this. People are talking about that, and this may, or may not change in the future.
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Psypher View Post
    Congratulations man, it is very rewarding indeed (I still remember my first successful dock), but it gets even better when you rendezvous and dock with other station on sandbox mode.
    Yeah, if you don't mind, let's talk about that in another thread :-) because that is something i've tried also many many times. Right now it seems impossible to me :-P

It's been a long time since I tried the external docking tutorial, but as Nemises said, the connecting process, in normal conditions, is automatic, you don't need to use the emergency clamps button.
    Indeed, both of you (Nemises, Psypher) are right. I don't know what was going on in my "endless" dock procedures, but today i've managed to dock without emergency clamp. So, no bug here.

I think this is optional, I don't change cameras when docking, mostly because of...
    ...this. People are talking about that, and this may, or may not change in the future.
    And yes, this works so much better in forward view. I had to burn over the the station with forward thrust, in forward view and then I did the fine alignment in forward view with backward thrust. Worked great in my first attempt.

I had a quick blast last night in sandbox mode last night to practice my port docking techniques. I simply power up the ship, request launch. move beyond limiter range, power up the MTS Plasma, contact STC on an open channel, tell them I'm on approach, punch in the new private channel for STC, (Note that departure and approach frequencies are not the same)contact STC on private channel and check in, contact STC on private channel and request docking.

With thrusters in booster mode trying to stay outside of the 200m range I will translate around the station, docking port has been opposite side of station on both times I've tried this. stabilize my relative motion, shut down MTS plasma and switch to cold gas, switch to port view and ensure that port docking collar is set on my EA/D as docking target, orient your ship to zero your x - y -z and translate the ship in.

I actually did this relatively easily on my first try, but totally cocked it up on my second try last night. It's quite easy to get disorientated. Your rational mind might well understand that from the port view thrusting forwards is translating right, and backwards is translating left, thrusting left is now forwards, and thrusting right moves you away, but when you put this into practice, if you get disorientated even for a moment things can quite easily start to go pear shaped.

One thing I did notice, because I did get disorientated and I was misaligned at the optimal capture point, is that you can actually be too close. I was aligned but it would not auto capture. when checking my range, i realised I had a negative value and had to actually move away from the station slightly for capture

Reference your "Edit" about translation. If you think about it it's not inverted. you might switch to a rear screen, but when you thrust to the left, the ship moves left relative to it's forward position. when viewed from an aft cam it's view shifts to the right, which is as it should be. With a bit of practice you will get used to this. For me it's just part of the challenge, and makes a successful dock all the more rewarding.

Administrator
    One thing I did notice, because I did get disorientated and I was misaligned at the optimal capture point, is that you can actually be too close. I was aligned but it would not auto capture. when checking my range, i realised I had a negative value and had to actually move away from the station slightly for capture
    Yeah, this is obviously a collision bug--should not be doing that

I also did make some slight alteration to the wording in the docking tutorial, reference the newer Trace Reticle, and a brief note that you can select the nearest trace on the SENSOR page, and ATTEMPT LOCK to get a steer-to indicator. Not much, but hopefully may help in that respect a bit....

Quote Originally Posted by herne View Post
    Reference your "Edit" about translation. If you think about it it's not inverted. you might switch to a rear screen, but when you thrust to the left, the ship moves left relative to it's forward position. when viewed from an aft cam it's view shifts to the right, which is as it should be. With a bit of practice you will get used to this. For me it's just part of the challenge, and makes a successful dock all the more rewarding.
    Yeah the controls are not really inverted, but it feels like the are inverted because of the rear view. Maybe this could be integrated as an option to map the controls the specific view so we don't need to train our brain to not be confused while switching views back and forth, but not really necessary for me anymore because I do not switch to AFT camera while dock to the station. I dock with instruments only now in forward view.

And i've seen a collision bug too when to close. At some point the ship was inside the station.