Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Framerate

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    You know, that seems abnormally low considering your system specs. Did you try disabling SLI (if it is enabled)? You shouldn't NEED to, of course--just trying to figure out what's going on. And no, the log files didn't show anything unexpected. Anything else "unusual" about your system you can think of?
    No , nothing special about my rig... ~3yrs old computer, was a great computer about that time, now is almost right

X52pro, pedals, trackir (i never used it (yet) with rogue system), Jack based earphones (not usb ones), USB 3.0 powered hub, USB mouse and keyboard (Logitech & Steelseries) and thats it, no more peripherals.

Administrator
    This is an exception, for sure. I have an intel i5 with a nVidia 690 on it (not too much difference between those cards, I don't think), and I get nominal performance--a bit over 40 FPS in most cases, which is what I'd expect. Considering that, it's going to be pretty hard to debug, if I even can. I have no idea what shader might be causing the problem, and I can't reproduce the issue here to know if I've made a fix. Besides that, your card could be having an issue with something in the Leadwerks engine itself (lighting, shadows, etc specific to interior rendering), OR with the UI system rendering (which doesn't SEEM likely, since that is updated even when you're in an exterior view).

If you haven't gone over the two hour time limit for Steam refunds, you may want to take advantage of that. I'm not saying it's hopeless or that I'm giving up on your specific issue; but I'd certainly hate for you to have paid for something you might not be able to use until the schedule allows me time to dig into very isolated issues such as this. Shaders will continue to be worked on as time allows, and Leadwerks continues to be updated as well; so it would be pretty easy to check back from time to time and give it another try to see if anything has changed.

Beyond this though, if you decide to stick with it for now I will absolutely do what I can to try to help you resolve the issue. You've already tried running as admin, which has been the typical cause of abnormally low FPS, so that's out; but some other things to try:

--If on, try turning off interior flood lights (would eliminate shadow rendering as a cause)
    --Not sure if you tried other missions, but if not you might do so (and if it helps, please let me know if it was Single Mission 2, or Tutorial 2 that was causing the problem)
    --try disabling tutorials (from the single mission selection UI)
    --Is your card set for multi or super sampling (I know you said you tried various settings, but I'm not sure specifically what those were)?
    --Are you forcing anything via card settings (AA, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    This is an exception, for sure. I have an intel i5 with a nVidia 690 on it (not too much difference between those cards, I don't think), and I get nominal performance--a bit over 40 FPS in most cases, which is what I'd expect. Considering that, it's going to be pretty hard to debug, if I even can. I have no idea what shader might be causing the problem, and I can't reproduce the issue here to know if I've made a fix. Besides that, your card could be having an issue with something in the Leadwerks engine itself (lighting, shadows, etc specific to interior rendering), OR with the UI system rendering (which doesn't SEEM likely, since that is updated even when you're in an exterior view).

If you haven't gone over the two hour time limit for Steam refunds, you may want to take advantage of that. I'm not saying it's hopeless or that I'm giving up on your specific issue; but I'd certainly hate for you to have paid for something you might not be able to use until the schedule allows me time to dig into very isolated issues such as this. Shaders will continue to be worked on as time allows, and Leadwerks continues to be updated as well; so it would be pretty easy to check back from time to time and give it another try to see if anything has changed.

Beyond this though, if you decide to stick with it for now I will absolutely do what I can to try to help you resolve the issue. You've already tried running as admin, which has been the typical cause of abnormally low FPS, so that's out; but some other things to try:

--If on, try turning off interior flood lights (would eliminate shadow rendering as a cause)
    --Not sure if you tried other missions, but if not you might do so (and if it helps, please let me know if it was Single Mission 2, or Tutorial 2 that was causing the problem)
    --try disabling tutorials (from the single mission selection UI)
    --Is your card set for multi or super sampling (I know you said you tried various settings, but I'm not sure specifically what those were)?
    --Are you forcing anything via card settings (AA, etc)?

There's no chance i will refund Rogue System, i LOVE it!, I love the concept, and how its done, i will stick with it no matter what ; This is how Star Citizen should be, not the mess is now, plz Michael, focus on the space "ship" simulation, there are a gazillion of FPS

--I think i tried with interior flood lights on, but will check again, i left they off , normally.
    --No forced settings in Nvidia control panel
    --For "test fps" i used mission 2 "sandbox", tutorials off (there's no tutorial there anyway), playing the tutorial missions i have various results, from 18-20 fps inside to ~4fps (turned unplayable) in the tutorial mission where you undock from the station (fine until it ended) , but if i continue, and try to dock again, is where the fps drops to ~4.
    Will check all again, and take notes.
    --I have no idea on super and multi sampling settings, they are on default, never ever touched that settings, i even don't know where they are, but will check, and post update of my findings/

Administrator
    Thank you for sticking with it, and the kind words. Again, I will do everything I can as time allows to help you get things working...

*Update*

Iside cockpit fps ~18-22 fps no more than that, ever// (Outside cam ~40/~60 fps depends on the background)

After testing and more testing, i noted : when the framerate drops, inside the cockpit, the only way to restore them to normal, is to exit RS (to desktop), and load it again, if i restore it to the main menu, the fps are normal there (in te menu), around ~130 to ~30 fps , depends on the blackdround, but as soon i "enter" the cockpit , loading any mission, the fps drops to ~4 o 5 fps.

If i not alt-tab to windows, (ESC , then alt-tab), the problem does not appears anymore (i was thinking that), for many hours, until i tryed for 2nd time tutorial 6 (transfer).
    When i was around 1000km from the Training station (to attempt to dock there), i noted a glitch in the surface of the planet below, (until there fps where around ~18), put external view (F2) to check, as soon i enter the cockpit again (F1) , fps drops... (Screenshots attached).

Soon after that (a counple on minutes) , doing time accel, the alarm sounds, the indicator panel lights like a christmas tree, and a couple of seconds later , i loose power (forever), not even battery or Fuel cells where available. the ship becomes dead.

Will check again same mission.

I dont know if the report or the Screenshots are of any help at all....

Attachment 20322

Attachment 20323

Hey Argento,

Just wondering, did you experience these low FPS issues in the cockpit from the very second you entered the cockpit the very first time you played the game or did it only start occuring shortly into a tutorial or after swapping to exterior and then back to interior view for the first time?

It just sounds very similar to an issue I have experienced before and it seems nothing short of a complete reinstall will fix. Don't know if you want to try that? Do a complete clean reinstall by deleting the local game files from Steam, also delete the RogSys folder under C:\Users\<usr>\AppData\Local\ and any RogSys folder remaining under Steam\steamapps\common\

Once reinstalled, fire up a mission but just stay inside the cockpit view. If it's nice and fluid FPS, try switching through the various exterior views (F2-F4) and then back inside to see if the issue replicates itself.

- Hyp3rion

Quote Originally Posted by Hyp3rion View Post
    Hey Argento,

Just wondering, did you experience these low FPS issues in the cockpit from the very second you entered the cockpit the very first time you played the game or did it only start occuring shortly into a tutorial or after swapping to exterior and then back to interior view for the first time?

It just sounds very similar to an issue I have experienced before and it seems nothing short of a complete reinstall will fix. Don't know if you want to try that? Do a complete clean reinstall by deleting the local game files from Steam, also delete the RogSys folder under C:\Users\<usr>\AppData\Local\ and any RogSys folder remaining under Steam\steamapps\common\

Once reinstalled, fire up a mission but just stay inside the cockpit view. If it's nice and fluid FPS, try switching through the various exterior views (F2-F4) and then back inside to see if the issue replicates itself.

- Hyp3rion
    Hello Hyp3rion.

When i have low fps (~5), (inside cockpit, exterior views are fine), if i launch any mission from the main menu, as soon i enter the cockpit, i have low fps; does not matter if i go again to the main menu and launch another (or the same) mission, as soon i enter the cockpit again... fps drops to ~5.
    But if i quit the game , and launch it again, the fps goes back to normal.

The "trigger" to from normal low fps , i was thinking was when i was alt-Tab to windows, (Esc->Menu , then Alt-Tab) , but was wrong, i have a drop in mission 6 near destination base... i tried the same mission again, becomes near 1000km but the drop does not replicate (i cant rendevouz with the base, but that was my fault).

I reinstalled Saturday, deleted %Appdata%\Local\RogueSystem folder (there's nothing left in steamapps) , i did not find anything in the registry thou, will reinstall again tomorrow.
    I think, (and i dont know if is my impression or is true) that i have less drops in fps since i reinstalled, but maybe, i have fewer drops, because i dont alt-tab anymore to windows , for checking youtube tutorial videos

Off course i dont blame Michael , the game is on early stages, my issue will solve itself when RS evolves over time, im sure of that.
    I dont know if Michael is the only/main developer, it appears to do so... is a titanic enterprise to do by itself, or by few people... i don't code since 20 years ago, so i can't be of any help at all to the project , pitifully.

Yeah Michael Juliano is the sole developer apart from some occasional assistance / work in sound / audio dev by another Michael.

I've got to get back to MJ about my own issue later tonight so I'll chat more about yours then

- Hyp3rion

Argento, if you switch the display off, how is your FPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Tryss View Post
    Argento, if you switch the display off, how is your FPS?
    Exactly the same Tryss, they dont rise or drop a single digit, with the screens on or off , at least in my tests.