Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GTX 970 "overheating" issues?

GTX 970 "overheating" issues?

Just replaced my GTX 690 with a 970, mainly because I almost never can take advantage of SLI in rF2 (Silverstone is an exeption - buttersmooth!), and I'm also suffering from only having 2GB.

With this new 970 it worked better! But after an hour playing I had my first blackscreen. After that I have it every 10th minute of gameplay. I have the ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX DC2 OC and the cooler is really good on this one. Fans won't start before 66C. I have checked that the fans start, and the temperature does not rise above 63 once the fans have started. Still I have this black screen issue. My monitor looses the signal but rf2 runs as usual in the background - so I have to restart my PC.

I tried to set fans manually - to 60% - and temperature won't go above 50C and suddenly the problems i gone! I've had a benchmark program running for 1 hour without any issues. Wth? Does the card really "overheat" at 65C, but it runs fine at 50??

I have googled a lot the last days, and LOTS of people seem to have same issues with the 970, not only with ASUS but all manufacturers. Have you guys experienced something similar? Is this card really that crappy? Coil-whine is very, very common too

I'm on the evga gtx970 with oc by evga..dunno type exactly. Coilwhine yes. Overheating and blackscreens never. Only blackscreens i had was with crapy nvidea drivers

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    I'm on the evga gtx970 with oc by evga..dunno type exactly. Coilwhine yes. Overheating and blackscreens never. Only blackscreens i had was with crapy nvidea drivers
    I have tried the latest nvidia drivers but also older ones. Makes no difference for me. But as I said, setting the fans manually to 60% makes the problem dissappear Maybe there is some kind of bug with the "auto" fans, because temperature is okay!

Question is, if I should return it because it's quite obvious something is wrong. But I will keep fans at 60% and try to participate in the F3 fanatics tonight and see what happens!

See you there

I also have the ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX DC2 OC and I've also had black screen problems during games.

INFO
    This card has a known problem at about 74C when it throttles down to about 550MHz and needs a reboot for it to work normally again. I have set the Temperature Limit in GPU Tweak to 71C to avoid this.
    But overheating at 65C???? That seems a very low temperature to be causing problems.

BLACK SCREEN PROBLEM
    Are you using a DisplayPort cable? Another known problem with the Asus Strix is a black screen at boot, restart and occasionally in normal use, when using a DisplayPort cable.
    Asus have a firmware update:
    BIOS update for STRIX-GTX970
    Fix DP display issue with certain monitors

I used GPU Tweak to find the update, but it said I had the latest firmware.
    I found the new firmware on the Asus site:
    https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Car...Desk_Download/

It has cured my boot/restart black screen problems. I havent played PC games much recently, so I cannot guarantee that it will solve your problem, but its certainly worth a try.
    Perhaps the DisplayPort problem is affected by temperature.

***** Please double check that the firmware update is for your card.
    i7 950, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 6GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, Asus Strix GTX 970
    Dell U2713HM monitor (1440p), Windows 10, Thrustmaster TX Ferrari 458 wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Hedlund_90 View Post
    Coil-whine is very, very common too
    I also noticed some coil-whine, but now I limit the frame rate to 60FPS which has reduced whine to zero/almost zero.
    i7 950, Gigabyte X58A-UD3R, 6GB RAM, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, Asus Strix GTX 970

Quote Originally Posted by Richard729 View Post
    I also have the ASUS GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX DC2 OC and I've also had black screen problems during games.

INFO
    This card has a known problem at about 74C when it throttles down to about 550MHz and needs a reboot for it to work normally again. I have set the Temperature Limit in GPU Tweak to 71C to avoid this.
    But overheating at 65C???? That seems a very low temperature to be causing problems.

BLACK SCREEN PROBLEM
    Are you using a DisplayPort cable? Another known problem with the Asus Strix is a black screen at boot, restart and occasionally in normal use, when using a DisplayPort cable.
    Asus have a firmware update:
    BIOS update for STRIX-GTX970
    Fix DP display issue with certain monitors

I used GPU Tweak to find the update, but it said I had the latest firmware.
    I found the new firmware on the Asus site:
    https://www.asus.com/uk/Graphics-Car...Desk_Download/

It has cured my boot/restart black screen problems. I haven’t played PC games much recently, so I cannot guarantee that it will solve your problem, but it’s certainly worth a try.
    Perhaps the DisplayPort problem is affected by temperature.

***** Please double check that the firmware update is for your card.
    Thank you, but now I have pretty much already decided to return the card. I had a black screen again tonight, after setting the fans manually to avoid the card temperature to go above 50C. I thought it was stable, but apparently not. I had enough and reinstalled my old 690 that works like a charm.

I guess I could always try to update the firmwire, even though I'm not using a DP cable. But I think I return it instead, to get a new one - or maybe a different one. If problem persist, then I definitely have to go through everything in my system. But it's strange that the 690 works fine, it is a more power demanding card, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedlund_90 View Post
    But I think I return it instead, to get a new one - or maybe a different one.
    Yes - it definitely sounds like a faulty card.

Try this one with your old 690 card:

Open Nvidia inspector rFactor2 profile.

Compatibility:
    SLI comparability bits: 0x02402004

Sync and refresh:
    Maximum pre rendered frames: 1

Common:
    Power management mode: Prefer maximum performance.

UserData > player folder and open player.JASON file and edit:
    "Max Framerate":60,
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",
    "Texture Sharpening":0,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

rFactor2 video settings:
    Mode > Fullscreen
    Anti Aliasing > 3-6
    HDR> on
    Sync > video (use this only if you have micro stutters)

Thanks for the thread, atleast i know never to buy an ASUS card... ive got MSI 980 gaming running at cca 1400 Mhz and no problems, no throttling