Thread: Major FPS issue after tutorial camera change [STEAM eAccess 0.2.01.05a APS]

Question Major FPS issue after tutorial camera change [STEAM eAccess 0.2.01.05a APS]

Hey Michael,

So just freshly installed RS after converting my key to the Steam version (eAccess 0.2.01.05a APS) and jumped into the intro mission with tutorial enabled as it's been a little while since I last played and wanted a quick refresher. Everything was fine up to the point it mentions the external cameras via F2, F3 and F4. Cycled through them fine, FPS was quick and smooth, checked out all the F4 cameras and then returned inside with F1 to continue to tutorial.

It was at this point that the issue started where the FPS dropped so low that it is virtually unplayable (just tested with FRAPS, it runs between 3-5 FPS and stabalises at constant 7 FPS max after 5 seconds or so). Below are all the things I have tried so far but found no change with the game constantly running at 7 FPS max:

- Tried swapping back between cameras and going to the previous and next steps of the tutorial. Opened the menu which to activate an option requires you to hold the mouse button for half a second for the selection to register.

- Exited to main menu and went back in.

- Exited to desktop and went back in.

- Verified game files cache via Steam.

- Toggled Crossfire on (previoulsy already off for another game) to see if there was a difference in FPS, no change.

- Toggled interior bloom off, then back on when no change was noticed (all bloom options are on).

- Searched troubleshooting and bug report forums for an answer

So currently the game is unplayable, no idea what changed when swapping back to the interior view but it seems permanent until whatever it was is changed back I guess.

I'm trying to remember but I may have had a similar issue when I first started playing RS sometime last year and I think I just reinstalled it at the time to resolve.

I've attached a cut down dxdiag of my machine to provide my system and video specs (apparently the full size dxdiag txt file of about 92kb is too big to be allowed for upload for that "type of file") EDIT: Attached a compressed RAR file instead containing my full dxdiag and the RS log file of my last game session of me opening RS, loading the intro mission with tutorial and then exiting to desktop after experiencing the FPS bug.

- Hyp3rion

Attachment 20217

So I just reinstalled the game which resolved the issue, reconfigured video settings and tested again. From what I'm finding, it's not particular to a certain point in the tutorial but is more to do with the re-rendering as you switch camera views. Each time I swap from internal to external and back again it takes a good few seconds for the game to catch up which you can see with things rendering in and the frame rate climbing from under 10 to up around 25-35 (max 25 interior, 35 exterior) over the course of 2-3 seconds.

So I'm guessing that during the first re-render upon returning to internal view in the previous install that something broke and was capped at 7 FPS for some odd reason. Everything would render in fine, just really low FPS.

I've attached the recent RS log file for comparison.

- Hyp3rion

Attachment 20219

Administrator
    Could you do me a favor--just to make sure the two are unrelated... Set the Steam version of RogueSystemSim.exe to "run as admininstrator" and test again, please?

There REALLY should be no reason changing from internal to external camera would alter FPS, let alone cap it at such a low rate--internal or external, the same rendering method is used. The only difference is the interior isn't rendered. I don't THINK I've heard of anyone having an FPS issue when switching from interior to exterior, either. Not saying there's not a problem, but at the moment it seems like a local issue to your system.

All that said, i will do some tests today and see if there is any sort of drop or hitch that I can see, that just may be more pronounced on your system (for whatever reason).

Will do Michael, thanks for the reply

- Hyp3rion

So...Radeon 6950 or 6970? I have my 6950 2GB unlocked and set to mostly 6970 specs. I get about the same 20-30 fps in-game without bloom, etc. Though I'm running an AMD FX 4170 with Win 7 64 bit, and half the ram of yours (8 GB). Also your video drivers, I'm assuming you too have the last version 15.xx WHQL, or have you tried the Crimson beta yet?

Anyway, I can't say I've had your issue reproduce on my setup, but I also haven't messed with the F1..F4 keys too much. Maybe I'll try messing with that and see if it does anything....if only to confirm if it's related to our (old but gold) videocard.
    Can cantankerous cans candidly containing cancerous contaminants coexist considering conclusive conspiracies claim canning cantaloupes can cause comically concentric callouses?

Hi Sampak,

I've got two 6950s 2gb both flashed to 6970 with unlocked shaders in Crossfire (though I doubt RS currently has a Crossfire profile and enabling it certainly didn't give me any extra frames).

Running Win10 with either latest or previous latest beta video drivers. Tried running Crimson beta drivers at one stage but upon checking the AMD website it doesn't seem that the 6000 series cards are supported for Crimson.

Yet to get back to testing this issue again myself, been to busy either with the wife and bub or getting a nostalgia fix playing the new UT4 or classic UT99 :P

- Hyp3rion

Yeah my 6950 with Beta drivers gave the FPS rate a hiccup issue, it would stall/halt the fps every few seconds but that was mostly noticeable in another game I tried (Fractured Space), so I went back to 15.7 whatever.

BTW since my last post I'm running on Windows 10 (got the new Evo 850 SSD yay), no issues in RS as of yet. Seems to be 'unaffected' by anything problematic.

Another fellow UT fan! Last one I played was UT3 I think... been a while!
    Can cantankerous cans candidly containing cancerous contaminants coexist considering conclusive conspiracies claim canning cantaloupes can cause comically concentric callouses?