Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Ring Rescue: Docking Not Happening

Unhappy Target Ring Rescue: Docking Not Happening

Hello all,

first I'd like to say that I'm absolutely loving this game already, despite it only being in Alpha (I've logged 18 hours already). I've done all the tutorials and I've watched Scott Manly play this mission (convinced me to buy it), and so I figured "Heck, I'm experienced with space physics. I'll try the 'Target Ring Rescue' mission."

My first attempts were embarrassing, to say the least, but I just had my 8th or 9th attempt at the mission, and it went flawlessly, to a point. Ship startup and heading for the ring in just over 8 minutes. Get to the ring and general alignment in under 20.

Before I would have said it was user error, because this mission is EXTREMELY difficult, but I had to give up this last time. I was under half a meter away from the docking port, everything was aligned, not moving too fast in, go in for the capture and I bump into it and get knocked away. Not wanting to give up, I got realigned and tried it again. Meter away: perfectly aligned. Half a meter: still aligned.

At this point I recall Scott Manly frantically pressing on the "ERMC CLAMP"/"ATTEMPT DOCK" button and he managed to get it. Well I thought maybe you have to press the button to actually make it dock, or be in a certain one of the two modes. Try "ERMC CLAMP" while aligned and basically touching the port. Nothing. Try "ATTEMPT DOCK". Still nothing. Try moving in slowly while, like Scott Manly, repeated toggling the two...

Nope. Bumped it into a wild spinning frenzy. I'm starting to get really frustrated. If it's me doing something wrong: fine, I can deal with the fact that I am unable to dock like that right now. I would just like to know if anyone else is running into this issue or if its user error.

Thanks!

TL;DR - Docking is excessively unreliable despite being aligned repeatedly and rather consistently.

Administrator
    Well, I've tested this mission several times reliably, so I'm fairly confident the logic is good. Here's what I can tell you with regards to nominal docking conditions:

--You have to use the aft towing port, and the EMRC CLAMP must indicate "ATTEMPT DOCK" before docking. Spamming it doesn't work--set once and leave it
    --If the display indicates "MISALIGNED" when you are attempting to clamp, the dock will fail.
    --Due to some currently liberal spacing on the collision, it is possible to go to a slightly negative Z offset position(meaning that you're "inside" the other ship according to the data). In this condition, a dock will not happen. Your z-offset position MUST be within 0.0 to 0.02 meters, with a z-closure of less than 0.04 meters per second.

--When using the emergency clamp, your roll does NOT affect your ability to dock, only pitch and yaw. However, it's easiest when you match roll values with the port.

If ANY parameter is off within that last 0.02 meters, it's very likely you will go to a negative z offset and a connection won't happen. I'd be willing to bet this is what's happening, making what would be an otherwise good dock alignment not work.

By the way, the collision was loosened up to troubleshoot a different bug. Now that it is fixed, I'll be moving the collision back to where it should be. This SHOULD prevent you from moving to a negative value. Also, I could probably increase the z-offset range from -0.02 to 0.02. This would probably fix the issue on its own...

Hope this helps a bit...

Wow, thanks for responding so quickly Michael! Again, I really appreciate the work you're doing here and can't wait for further developments.

Okay, I'll try again with all that in mind and I'll be extra strict about my range tolerances; I'll let you when I get it right finally!

Thanks again!

P.S. If I may ask, why does the EMRC CLAMP setting need to be changed between the ring station docking to a normal STC station docking? Is it because the STC is willing to accept the dock whereas the Ring Station is unpowered? e.g. when docking with STC I don't have to make sure the port is set to ATTEMPT DOCK

Yes the emrc button is for manual forced docking. A "proper" that the other ship or station is aware of, does not need the clamps to be primed (so I would just turn it back to the normal state).

Also I've bumped the ring many times irrecoverably. On my last attempt I though I was all lined up ...except then the X axis was off on the pitch. So just keep watch on that as well.
    Can cantankerous cans candidly containing cancerous contaminants coexist considering conclusive conspiracies claim canning cantaloupes can cause comically concentric callouses?

My understanding is that a emergency clamping is (or will be) a destructive mechanism, so truly for emergency use or in cases where the integrity of whatever you're clamping doesn't matter to you.

We don't seem to have the cone-n-barb type of gendered docking ports that we typically use on real spacecraft, thus why a safe dock needs to be cooperative.
    Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaNBiskuts View Post
    Wow, thanks for responding so quickly Michael! Again, I really appreciate the work you're doing here and can't wait for further developments.

Okay, I'll try again with all that in mind and I'll be extra strict about my range tolerances; I'll let you when I get it right finally!

Thanks again!

P.S. If I may ask, why does the EMRC CLAMP setting need to be changed between the ring station docking to a normal STC station docking? Is it because the STC is willing to accept the dock whereas the Ring Station is unpowered? e.g. when docking with STC I don't have to make sure the port is set to ATTEMPT DOCK
    Yes--that's it in a nutshell. When you are docking with a powered ship, one of you will act as "the host". Typically, the host is the ship with STC control (or the ship that grants permission to dock). The docking port clamps on the host ship are used under normal docking sequences. When docking with an unpowered ship, then your emergency clamp must be used (and only "towing" ports have those), so you have to prime it for the capture.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by draeath View Post
    My understanding is that a emergency clamping is (or will be) a destructive mechanism, so truly for emergency use or in cases where the integrity of whatever you're clamping doesn't matter to you.

We don't seem to have the cone-n-barb type of gendered docking ports that we typically use on real spacecraft, thus why a safe dock needs to be cooperative.
    This is changing a bit. Using an emergency clamp on another towing port (such as what's on the target ring), is now non-destructive. Using an emergency clamp on a normal port will cause damage (which it currently does not).

Doing an emergency release WILL be destructive to the host port's clamping mechanism.

Well I did it! First try after your advice; I about fell out of my chair when I got the 'Mission Status' Debug menu to pop up. Glad to know it was just my own lack of patience preventing me from docking. Granted, I used a joystick for this last time which helped immensely.

Thanks again for your advice Michael. Keep doing what you're doing with RogSys, your hard work already shows.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaNBiskuts View Post
    Well I did it! First try after your advice; I about fell out of my chair when I got the 'Mission Status' Debug menu to pop up. Glad to know it was just my own lack of patience preventing me from docking. Granted, I used a joystick for this last time which helped immensely.

Thanks again for your advice Michael. Keep doing what you're doing with RogSys, your hard work already shows.
    It's a great feeling!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemises View Post
    It's a great feeling!
    Right?! Easily one of the most challenging things I've done in a video game. It was exceptionally rewarding too