Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modding a new ship : a quick walkthough

Modding a new ship : a quick walkthough

I have made a quick modding tutorial that should help you to start adding your own custom ship.

http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/wiki...e=Ship_modding

Obviously, I need testers

Awesome contribution, I might start learning how to mod for RS this summer and this tutorial will certanly help!

I have no relevant talents to actually do anything with this information but would still like to add my respect to you for posting it. Modding possibilities for RogSys could be hugely exciting so anything that helps get it off the ground has to be good for all of us. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jayarrbee36 View Post
    I have no relevant talents to actually do anything with this information but would still like to add my respect to you for posting it. Modding possibilities for RogSys could be hugely exciting so anything that helps get it off the ground has to be good for all of us. Thank you.
    Ditto.

Oh man, the last time I modded a game was Quake using "QuakeC," Worldcraft and QME, I worked on AI bots, crappy new weapon models, and my own maps to test out the stuff LOL. When Quake 2 modding came about using real C+ (?), my brain fried.
    Can cantankerous cans candidly containing cancerous contaminants coexist considering conclusive conspiracies claim canning cantaloupes can cause comically concentric callouses?

Quote Originally Posted by Tryss View Post
    Obviously, I need testers
    Testing round one:
    I have not been successful. I am not reporting any failure or bug in your tutorial or files but myself.

It's true that I've never had contact with Blender. I have gone through a couple of tutorials, and the one you link to export the UV. This part has been difficult, again not your tutorial, but creating the UV for the first time.
    I went through all steps except using GIMP to create the texture. I just left the default .png and created the .tex out of it, whatever it was.

I start the mission and it even throws the first message. Immediately after the first message, RS crashes completely. I think it must have to do with the model I created, so I will create it again in the next days.

Overall, the tutorial is clear and easy to follow. I only got one question in the process: you put in bold font the changes to make to the .ROG files. I see no bold in the mission file, so I assumed I would just substitute all text with the one you posted. It makes sense, as the structure of the file seems complete.

I grant you I will put this Monolith in my universe.

Thanks for creating the tutorial!

Oh yes ! I may have forgot to bold the changes in the missions.

About the crash : I also crashed multiple times before managing to set everything properly so don't worry, there may be something wrong in my tutorial

Quick question : when you load the game, do you see Monolith files loading (at the end)?

To test if it's your model that have a problem, copy a model from another ship, and replace "Texture = {T1 = "Monolith" }," by "Texture = {T1 = "Pink" }," in the monolith.rog

Update (not yet successful):
    I found a mistake I made in one of the files. I did several changes, that end up summarized as follows:
    I re-made all the .ROG files involved. I started from a fresh install of RS, and this time I created the .ROG files without changing the bold lines, but making them the extact text as in the wiki page, and making sure of the right encoding.
    I used the .mdl and .tex I got from Blender.

Now, when I start RS, it quickly shows the list of files it is loading, and you can read at some point how it is loading the ships. Well I can see after the Flying Fox it mentions the Monolith. At that point it stops loading and just exits, no error message, just nothing. I found that in my previous attempt, I didn't properly set the number of hulls, that's why the program loaded, but now it is correct, it finds the Monolith in the list of ships, and when it tries to load it, nothing happens.

I tried pulling a .mdl from the Flying Fox and changing the name to 'Monolith.mdl'. I set the texture = pink. Same result. Maybe something is not compatible (dimensions maybe? not sure...).

Maybe you can share the actual .mdl and .tex from your setup? If I use those, I know the model is correct and maybe I can try and find which .ROG file is causing the load to stop.

I admire the work you did. It must have been quite an effort to figure out how and actually making a model into RS!

Administrator
    If it just exits without any error, might I suggest an problem with the LUA file format (which is what the data files are--LUA tables).

I'd recommend a program called LUAedit2010: http://luaedit.sourceforge.net/index.html

I use it all the time to check LUA table syntax. If you suspect a problem LUA file:

1. open luaedit 2010
    2. create a new text file
    3. do a select-all, and then copy the text from the data file (in this case, the ship .ROG file)
    4. paste into the newly created text file in luaedit 2010
    5. click on the "debug" menu item and select "Check Syntax"

If there's an error, it will tell you where. Usually it's just a missing "," or some other format error

I've implemented a new method to check LUA files before attempting to load, but I'm not yet applying it to all the files that get loaded (included the ship files). I'm adding it as opportunity presents itself...

There is a typo due to the wiki formatting at this line :

InteriorAvailable = '0, --Is there art for an interior (0=no, 1=yes)

Yes!
    That was it. The lua editor is a nice tool.
    Ah, you should see how does my wonderful Monolith shows in space. Well... actually... you'd better not. But next time I'll go for some nice textured to put in space

Testing task complete. I checked that the wiki has already been corrected for this syntax bug. Everything works as intended.
    Hope your tutorial gets the attention it deserves and helps so many to-be Rogue Sytem moddders.

Thank you both!