Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [STEAM] Game client not loading

Quote Originally Posted by Kill3rCat View Post
    EDIT: I even tried disabling my AV during installation and launch, despite the immense improbability of the issue lying there.
    Just for the record, did you tried running the game with UAC (User Account Control) turned off?
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by Psypher View Post
    Just for the record, did you tried running the game with UAC (User Account Control) turned off?
    I did not, but I hold great scepticism that the issue lies there. Running with admin is essentially the same as running with UAC disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Kill3rCat View Post
    I did not, but I hold great scepticism that the issue lies there. Running with admin is essentially the same as running with UAC disabled.
    It seems that for one user it made a difference... yeah, I know, very strange

A more proper fix is to recursively take ownership of the GameData folder in steam. Stuff installed into Program Files gets special ownership unless something/someone goes out of their way to change it (a special built-in user called "TrustedInstaller"). Note that this should only be done for single-user computers, since that will cause issues for any other user who tries to run steam.

This is a good compromise, you retain UAC and you don't run games escalated for no real reason.
    Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!

Yes, it's very strange, in that particular case it seems that the UAC was preventing the game to create the folders/files for the first time, because after he resolved the issue, he could turn UAC back on whitout any issue for RogSys.

I searched for similar situations and I found this tip on Steam, if you think that make any sense you can test it:

1- Right-click on the steam folder, select properties and then click the Security tab.
    2- Select Users under Group or user names, click Edit and then check the Allow Full control box.
    3- Click Apply and then click Ok
    4- Log out of Windows and then log back in to the normal account (if it is not an administrator account).
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.

Well, guys, thanks for your efforts. Latest patch seemed to resolve my issues.

Oh, well would you bloody believe it? Yes, the patch fixed my issues... for the first run.

I changed some video options, restarted the game, and I'm back to the same old problem. It could be specific video options; if I remember correctly I changed the resolution to 1920x1080x32 and enabled borderless window.

Administrator
    Not making any sense--the update wouldn't have altered your previous video settings (unless you had deleted your SaveGames/TestGame GameState.ROG file, thus causing RogSys to create a new one using default settings).

You can go into the GameState.ROG and manually undo the changes you made before it ceased working again. A GameStates.BAK file SHOULD have been created, when you made changes and saved, that you can use for comparison.

It is certainly odd... The process starts fine, and it doesn't appear to be idle. However, it never creates a window for some odd reason.

Sure, I'll try fiddling with GameStates.ROG

EDIT: No luck fiddling with the "GameStates" file. I tried deleting it, but that didn't solve the problem.

EDIT2: It seemed strange that after an update, the game once again run once, and only once. After a restart of the game, no window would open. Seeing this, I decided to try a fresh install for the second time. I don't know why I tried the same again, but the results were the same as the first time - a fresh install didn't help.

Administrator
    Just to clarify--after deleting the GameStates.ROG a new one WAS created?

Edit: OR, one was created after the fresh install?

Basically, I'm just verifying the files are being written as they should be...