Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [STEAM] Game client not loading

[STEAM] Game client not loading

Hello again; haven't popped in here for a while now.

I decided to transfer my license to Steam, since I prefer to have games on said platform.

Upon loading up the game the first time, it seemed to be stuck in a cycle of 'open->close->open' (though no actual window appeared - I could only see 'running' appear and disappear periodically in the Steam Library, and the .exe in Task Manager disappearing and reappearing).

Since the .exe in Task Man. didn't stick around for long enough to be terminated (couldn't pause refresh and kill it, because the task ID was constantly being refreshed every time a new instance was opened after its predecessor was seemingly closed automatically), I decided to kill the Steam.exe instead. As predicted, the Rogue System .exe closed itself and tried to open itself again, getting no further than the Steam login window. I killed Steam once more so Rogue System didn't open as soon as I logged in, then started up Steam and logged in as normal.

After restarting my Steam client and ensuring that the Rogue System .exe was not open, I tried to launch the game a second (or two-hundredth, probably) time. This time, the process as seen in Task Manager is constant (is not closing and re-opening itself), but the game is not loading - no window appears.

I will try validating game files, then restarting my system. I will then update this post as to whether or not I've had any luck.

EDIT 1: Validating files yielded no result; all files are, according to Steam, present and accounted for.

EDIT 2: Rebooting my system also yielded no result... same issue, no change.

EDIT 3: Before you ask, yes of course everything is running as Admin.

Any files or logs or whatever the heck you need (assuming any are being generated) - I'll send it, just ask. Thanks in advance.

There is a RogSys.LOG file in the Rogue System folder. It might yield some answers.

Administrator
    Hi.

Sorry you're having trouble. Here's some things to try:

1) Make sure your AMD/nVidia driver is up-to-date
    2) Navigate to Steam\SteamApps\common\Rogue System\_CommonRedist\OpenAL\2.0.7.0 and run oalinst.exe -- some people have reported that Steam is not installing this as needed.
    3) Try setting the steam version of RogueSystemSim.exe (Steam\SteamApps\common\Rogue System) to "run as admin" -- perhaps a permission issue is not letting it create the save game files in users/"your user name"/appdata/local/RogueSystemSim
    4) Try running with Steam in "run as admin" and see if that helps

I have a feeling step two will fix it--hopeful anyway. Let me know how it goes. If none of the above helps, please post the contents of RogSys.log and RogueSystemSim.log

Nope, didn't work. Thanks for the quick reply though.

It also doesn't look like RogSys.log or RogueSystemSim.log are being generated; where am I supposed to find these files?

Administrator
    As of this morning's Steam update, both of those files would be in:

users/"your user name"/appdata/local/RogueSystemSim

If that location is not present, then something in your setup is preventing RogSys from creating them, OR RogSys is dying before getting to that point. The ONLY thing that comes before this is LEadwerks initialization. Currently, for the few people with this problem, the culprit has been OpenAL not being installed by Steam when installing RogSys (hence why I had you manually try to do it with oalinst.exe

Administrator
    Also, I might add, I heard on two occasions that Steam had to be "run as admin" before validating files. Might be worth a try?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    Also, I might add, I heard on two occasions that Steam had to be "run as admin" before validating files. Might be worth a try?
    I run everything such as Steam as admin anyway, since it causes so many bloody issues. Lol.

RogSys.log contents:
    Code:
    ***Rogue System Debug Log*** 
    ***Created on: 08-06-2016.15:08:31

Core: starting up
    Core: core data initialized
    Core: Initializing Steam
    Core: Valid Steam User ID
    RogueSystemSim.log contents:
    Code:

(Yes, it's empty.)

Any idea what might be causing this issue?

Also, do the Steam and non-Steam versions both store user data in the same place? Could that be part of the issue? Would it be easier to just delete everything and do a fresh install?

Administrator
    Both versions now save to the same place, yes. And sadly, no, I'm not yet certain why this is happening. It's rare, to be sure. Disabling UAC before installation has helped in one case, running as admin during install in another, and on two other occasions now manually installing OpenAL sorted things out.

I definitely think it would be a good idea to delete everything RogSys related and try a fresh install...

Only just got around to deleting everything and doing a fresh install; no joy, sadly.

Everything was of course running as admin, I even tried going to "steamapps\common\Rogue System" and running the .exe there as admin. I tried the manual OAL installation (again), didn't make bugger all difference.

OAL wouldn't be the issue here anyway, I don't think, since I was able to run the non-Steam version in the past without issue.

EDIT: I even tried disabling my AV during installation and launch, despite the immense improbability of the issue lying there.