Thread: constant-g burn - 'steer to' indicator spazzes around?

constant-g burn - 'steer to' indicator spazzes around?

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong here, so before I write up a report can someone proof me on this?

1. Get undocked and everything online
    2. Select a destination body
    3. Enable the MES HVVFMs, RFCS, AP AUTO THROTTLE
    4. Select DEST ATT REF, DEST I/C PRO NAS, enable ATT ALIGN
    5. Open burn calculator, set sane values, hit commit
    6. "Steer to" (small green indicator) freaks out, flashing all over the place

I'm expecting the steer too indicator to sit in a stable position. This doesn't seem to be happening for me.

Here's a video showing my startup, a brief moment of derp where I fail to actually select a MES burn, and then finally watch the green "steer to" indicator go round-n-round! (jump to about 10m15s for the actual problem - included the whole startup so you can see if I'm doing anything silly)

Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!

Administrator
    The only thing I see "wrong" in your sequence is that you shouldn't enable ATT ALIGN until after you hit "commit". However, that shouldn't cause the steer-to to jump all over unless it was unable to calculate an intercept point (but then it SHOULD default to aiming you directly at the body until it can).

Does it eventually settle down?

It doesn't seem to, but I'm thinking it's related to it trying to put my relative velocity into some sweet spot that is moving around faster than either it (or I - the yaw/pitch differential due to differing RCS offsets really throws me) can pull off?

My video is now live (though at poor quality at the moment - 720p should be available in a few minutes more) if you'd like to see what's actually going on.

EDIT: Yes, I do derp around with the burn calculator before I spot that I didn't select MES. I'd suppose that's a minor bug there, the commit button should be disabled unless a burn type is selected?

Administrator
    I see what happened--although you did set the inject peri and apoa, you never selected either Orbit Inject Pro nor Orbit Inject Retro. So, the AP had no idea what you wanted it to do. And as a note to myself, I need to remove the (NYI) from those two items. Only the Flyby modes are NYI.

I should probably do a default setting if you hit commit without setting either of those. On my todo list now...

Edit: sorry for the confusion here--most of that is my fault (although it IS explained in the tutorial ;p )

Ah, so I was being a derp, as I suspected!

Thanks for helping me figure out what I was doing wrong, heh!

I believe I reported something similar a couple weeks ago(on Steam?), the steer-to marker spazzing all around the ship, causing the Auto pilot to constantly yaw in one direction. I can't remember the sequence of events, but next time I'll note down if I activate the transfer A/P before hitting Commit or not (and IF it causes the issue).
    Can cantankerous cans candidly containing cancerous contaminants coexist considering conclusive conspiracies claim canning cantaloupes can cause comically concentric callouses?

Administrator
    Yeah, in this case it was definitely that the inject type was not selected. I'd be willing to bet your situation was similar--it's pretty easy to accidently skip that...

I've had it freak out when changing between target prograde and retrograde I believe (as in the closure rate goes from + to -ve while in TGT I/C mode), but simply had to turn off ATT Align NAS, get ship under control and set ATT align again.
    Should be moot when the I/C mode gets throttle control though, as I doubt it'd be stupid enough to accidently go into -ve closure (unless sett to target retrograde sub mode...sheesh...we need a manual;! )