Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XBox 360 Controller: Connection issue

XBox 360 Controller: Connection issue

Hi,

my XBox 360 wireless controller turns off after around 15 minutes of inactivity.
    Sometimes I reach this threshold because of research related to the game or it's tutorials.
    At that point the game doesn't recognise the controller, after turning it on again.

Is there something I can do against that ?

P.S.: my BMS 1/2 is fully charged, so it should have enough energy to bring my controller back into the ship computer network :-)

P.P.S: in the meanwhile I will try to get my Hotas (Warthog) up and running but at my first attempts it felt very awkward while flying a spaceship with that setup. The XBox controller feels far more comfortable to me ;-)

Administrator
    Hmmm. I don't have that issue here with my X-Box controller. I'm not sure if there's a setting for something like this, honestly. Perhaps another x-Box controller user can help out. In the meantime, when I have a few moments to spare, I will try to duplicate the issue with the current build I'm working on.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    Hmmm. I don't have that issue here with my X-Box controller. I'm not sure if there's a setting for something like this, honestly. Perhaps another x-Box controller user can help out. In the meantime, when I have a few moments to spare, I will try to duplicate the issue with the current build I'm working on.
    I've tested it again while disconnecting all my other input devices (except keyboard + mouse), without further success.

1.The controller turns off
    2.I turn the controller on.
    3.Flight Control Systems does not recognise my X-Box controller

Don't spend to much time on this: Your game is fantastic as it is right now.

I think I have to get even better (faster, within 15 minutes) with my "in mind" startup/navigating/landing procedures and then I will master this game by keyboard.

P.S.: Please contact me if you are need further information while troubleshooting.

Administrator
    Ah--wireless. I was just doing a little googling and this is a design feature for wireless x-box controllers (mine is not wireless, hence no issue). From what I can see, there is no setting to extend/cancel the auto-shutdown.

I'll have to check the API for SLD2.0 to see if they have a method that can catch the controller when it wakes back up. I'll add this to the to-do list (not sure when I'll be able to get to it yet).

Sorry for the trouble...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    Ah--wireless. I was just doing a little googling and this is a design feature for wireless x-box controllers (mine is not wireless, hence no issue). From what I can see, there is no setting to extend/cancel the auto-shutdown.

I'll have to check the API for SLD2.0 to see if they have a method that can catch the controller when it wakes back up. I'll add this to the to-do list (not sure when I'll be able to get to it yet).

Sorry for the trouble...
    Yes, that auto-turnoff "feature" is intended by controller design.

Keyword SDL: First that came into my mind was Tuxracer. Opensource, is using SDL and has controller support. I did a test with the Windows version and it worked.

1. start a race
    2. hit (p) pause key
    3. wait until the controller turns off
    4. hit (p) to unpause the game
    5. turn on controller
    6. grab some fish

Maybe this could help.

Administrator
    yeah, that means there's obviously some way to catch the wake-up. I'll take a look when I can--hopefully won't be too big an issue to fix.

Any news on this, Michael ?

Administrator
    The last time I checked, I couldn't find anything that would help resolve this issue. I have another controller/binding update planned for the either update .09 or .1 -- I will have another look then to see if I can find a fix.

Thanks for the update. Again, Tuxracer is using SDL too and there the gamepad state is checked correctly.

I've read a bit at the source code. They have some is_joystick_active logic which checks if SDL_JoystickOpen is true and if so it does a call to SDL_JoystickUpdate . Maybe that could lead to something.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by robberer View Post
    Thanks for the update. Again, Tuxracer is using SDL too and there the gamepad state is checked correctly.

I've read a bit at the source code. They have some is_joystick_active logic which checks if SDL_JoystickOpen is true and if so it does a call to SDL_JoystickUpdate . Maybe that could lead to something.
    Thanks for the research. I looked at that previously, and it didn't seem to help. Perhaps my implementation was incorrect though, which is possible as I only had a very short time to look at the issue previously. When I get to the next scheduled control pass I will be able to give it my full attention and hopefully get the issue sorted out.

Thanks for you patience!