Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alien's Narcissus mod WIP

So long as they can break down to triangles without going insane. Everything will end up in-engine as a triangle. It is best practice to convert it all to quads or triangles before exporting to the game, just to ensure you have control over what is happening. Else, you're just trusting that the exporter will do something smart.
    Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!

Oh man, if anybody caught me saying this they would probably kill me but n-gons are perfectly fine on flat static surfaces. Nothing will break because of an n-gon on a flat static surface but it's not advised to have n-gons. I would try and completely avoid any and all n-gons.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie Ray View Post
    Oh man, if anybody caught me saying this they would probably kill me but n-gons are perfectly fine on flat static surfaces. Nothing will break because of an n-gon on a flat static surface but it's not advised to have n-gons. I would try and completely avoid any and all n-gons.
    Caught you I'll say that even on static meshes n-gons are not the best approach. Again, the hidden edges are the problem. On export (and even in the modeling software) they may not be handled the best way possible, and could cause lighting oddities. You'll even find that with quads you may have to turn hidden edges from time to time to get the lighting/shading to look correct. Not to mention that an edge turned the wrong way can cause the shape itself to look "wrong"...

I avoid n-gons...

For Blender users: I am new at it. And before I start messing with it, is there anything I should keep in mind so that I don't have to delete all my project and start over?
    For example: do I have to take care of those "n-gons" from the start or can I design my ship and "compile" it with certain settings?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    For Blender users: I am new at it. And before I start messing with it, is there anything I should keep in mind so that I don't have to delete all my project and start over?
    For example: do I have to take care of those "n-gons" from the start or can I design my ship and "compile" it with certain settings?
    Like I said n-gons are not the end of the world but like Michael said, avoid them.

An n-gon is a face with 5 sides, you'll see an edge just sort of end when it should flow. I would give a bunch of images and long explanation but it's 4 am. Hope I helped somewhat.

Also Michael I broke the quote but please no bully and what's the suggested triangle count for exterior and interior stuff? Can I go full Crytek and do pic related?

http://i.imgur.com/KTwhgtA.png
    And yes this is an actual thing that actual Crytek did, please nobody do this.

Administrator
    Often, I find material count is FAR more important than tri-count. The fewer materials, the better.

The FireArc prototype has around 15k tri's for the interior, and maybe 6k for the exterior. Of the two, I'd say exteriors are more important since you'll see the entire, multiple, hulls all at once. They should be kept as low as possible while still looking good (always a tough balance).

Interiors are "less" important because they can be broken up by sealed rooms, and you'll only see the interior you're currently standing in. So as long as any two adjoining rooms don't exceed an reasonable count you should be ok (two rooms because at some point you'll open a door and go from one room to another).

Really the key is that n-gons are not supported beyond export. They must be decomposed into triangles at some point, and unless you model with just quads (which decompose predictably) or triangles, you have no view or control over how that happens.

Use n-gons while building the thing, sure - but you're going to need to rework the mesh topology before exporting it at some point.
    Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!

Thanks for the advice, here's some more WIP

edit: corrected link

I know nothing of programming or texturing, but I hear good things about voxel engines. It may not be feasible now, but eventually setting up games with that kind of tech made for handling trillions or more "atoms" will outclass anything made so far. Perhaps this is a discussion for elsewhere? Let me know what you guys think.