Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How will we stop people from "escaping" in combat?

And don’t even think that with better engines you could go away, you will die with the G (I am no expert but I think so).
    Our current FLUX drive manage to push us at 4.3g for hours. I'm not sure if it's healthly, even if we imagine anti-g functions. That could be an interesting parameter.

very good post

Quote Originally Posted by Tryss View Post
    Our current FLUX drive manage to push us at 4.3g for hours. I'm not sure if it's healthly, even if we imagine anti-g functions. That could be an interesting parameter.
    just in case you were wondering, the FLUX is OP on purpose to allow us to test the transfer functionality ...MJ has said it will be about 1/4 of the current output (I guess around 1 - 1.5 g) in the game...but..he'll need to fully get the SAN working for longer periods (need to consider the underlying simulation needs to be "sped up" to simulate SAN).

Quote Originally Posted by Nemises View Post
    (need to consider the underlying simulation needs to be "sped up" to simulate SAN).
    That's actually not much of a big deal - when you no longer have to render stuff, the CPU can do these orbital mechanics ridiculously fast.
    Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!

This is interesting to me and I enjoy the thoughts I have read on the topic. I am not sure how many people come from Aerial combat sims (Ie. Birds of steel, war thunder or DCS)vs. Space sims like Kerbal space program. For those who come from "Dogfighting" games they probably know that real turn and burn dogfights were not as common as we think. Indeed shooting at someone and then running for your life was pretty much the favored tactic of most of the great aces. Erick Heartmann (352 highest scoring ace of all times) once said that he would make one attack at an enemy and if he missed he would just fly away. Basically it is safer to get away than get lured into a dogfight.

So many of these methods described(while the orbital mechanics are much more complicated) are not tactically or strategically dissimilar to successful aerial tactics in WWII. In particular Tryss's contact Trajectory idea could be described as the "Boom and Zoom" for space combat.

Orbital mechanics complicate things. I mean in a plane you want height so you can turn altitude into energy but in space a higher orbit makes you slower. I would think the best tactical position would be as low as you can get so that anything faster than you would have an orbit that dips (deeper) into the atmosphere. Your velocity vector and your facing don't matter so I'm not even sure if being ahead of someone in orbit wouldn't be better.

Trying to missile someone on the other side of the planet would be...difficult. If you launch in the direction of your orbit the apo goes up and the missile slows down, shoot it the other way and the peri gets pretty low. If your both close enough (or have enough dV in your munitions) then I guess it wouldn't matter.

There is also a realism vs fun factor and until we have more pieces in place it's all up in the air. For instance I'm sure there are folks who would have no problem playing "NASA tracks New Horizons" for a decade but I'll take FTL, SAN or time acceleration myself.

I think I was trying to make a point about something but I don't remember what it was...
    Lazy and willing to work hard to stay that way

Sherpa- We may, or may not, be agreeing or we might be talking past each other? Maybe I should clarify my point and that would help. There is an assumption in this thead, "How do we stop people from escaping combat," that this issue is somehow unique to orbital combat. I am just saying that that is not the case. Escaping combat is nothing new to an aerial "dogfight." If a IJN Zero jumps a USN Corsair and misses that Corsair would then hit the gas and hit the deck and the fight is over. The plane uses energy derived from thrust and altitude instead of thrust and orbital trajectories to make this happen, but the tactical effect is the same.

I have read on this and other threads several ideas that orbital combat might be more akin to submarine warfare than aerial warfare. Indeed the grand tactics of a submarine ace vs. a fighter ace were never all that different really. Position yourself for a surprise attack, make the attack, flee the battle space.

I wasn't specifically aiming at you Cooper, I've been AWOL for a while so it was more like a brain dump? I needed to get that stuff out of my head so someone else could poke at it. I'm sure there is a logical 'whoops' in there but I've gone round and round and can't see the forest from the trees.

The original poster may be thinking about games like EVE where you can web, scramble, energy neutralize, warp bubble and probably a few things I've forgotten to keep the target from bugging out.
    Lazy and willing to work hard to stay that way

No worries I did not take it that way. But it did help me think about my point a bit more. There are a lot of thoughts on different aspects of orbital combat scattered on various threads. I have not read them all yet but I am still exploring for the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC_Sherpa View Post
    I wasn't specifically aiming at you Cooper, I've been AWOL for a while so it was more like a brain dump? I needed to get that stuff out of my head so someone else could poke at it. I'm sure there is a logical 'whoops' in there but I've gone round and round and can't see the forest from the trees.

The original poster may be thinking about games like EVE where you can web, scramble, energy neutralize, warp bubble and probably a few things I've forgotten to keep the target from bugging out.
    You are cool. EVE is cool. That is all.