Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How will we stop people from "escaping" in combat?

How will we stop people from "escaping" in combat?

When fighting someone, how will the combatants prevent the other from simply using their flux drives (or MTS booster) to get away? Will there be some way to disable the flux drive of nearby ships?

Good question.

I wouldn't want to see equipment that disables flux drives.
    I think cat and mouse will be part of game play, until combat takes its toll.

Ships will probably be in trouble after a few hits, systems will be damaged.

In the future we will be able to board ships, that will be good.

But you have raised an interesting aspect. I'm sure others have answers.

If you've driven your enemy from the battlefield to rearm and re-maneuver, you've arranged the same for yours -- and you've got more control of the actually important local space. Now they're coming in on a goal with fewer forces and lacking surprise.

Well.. I would stop them from running away by shooting them and actually hitting them. . But I'm the "take no prisoners" kinda guy..

I would say there would be a two-fold issue to give a ship pause to fleeing. First, at longer ranges, tracking weapons that self-propel would have more time to determine the path a retreating ship is taking and account for any patterns in its evasive maneuverings, increasing the likelihood of striking and causing further damage. The second issue is the matter of objective; whichever ship leaves first leaves the area open to control by the remaining ships; on the defensive side, the value of the assets being guarded (stations, offline ships, civilian populations, commodities) give weight to remaining in the battle even if the ship is losing function, while the value of the pilot's ship and the fact that experienced combat pilots will be difficult to replace gives weight toward disengaging from a battle instead of committing to destruction of a side. On the offensive side, they have to counterbalance the long-term advantage of completing their objective and the danger of potentially leading the defenders to their staging point (likely a tender ship or a command & control relay) verses the cost of their vessel and the expenses involved in beginning the offensive.

Retreat is likely to be based on calculations between how important success is and what will maximize preservation of war assets; sometimes falling back will gain a tactical advantage, such as leading an attacking fleet into following into an ambush point, while running your ship until it's disabled may be worthwhile if you need to bide time until reinforcements arrive.

But, from my understanding, if someone runs away from you with his Flux drive/MTS booster, given that you have the same equipment on your ship, what stops you from following the coward with the same acceleration shooting him from the back? It seems to me like running away from your opponent would only put you in an inferior position, as long as he can follow you. By the way, please excuse my typos.

Very interested in see how the fighting will go. I agree I don't like the engine jamming devices.

I think submarines are a better comparison for combat that airplanes. In my mind the game will not be about dog fighting at all. You don't see the enemy ship, which may be several light seconds away. Instead you'll register them on your sensors, fire and maybe wait several minutes or even hours until you know if it hit or not.

Continuing with the submarines comparison, I think it'll be very easy to one shot or be one shotted (unless the game ends up having some sort of shielding). So the strategy will be to not be detected until you can have a firing solution. Depending on the weapons and how sensors detect an incoming attack, the enemy may have some sort of countermeasures / evasive maneuvers. Even if the enemy doesn't instantly die when hit, I would think that the engines / navigation would be the most likely to be affected, so running away wouldn't be so easy. And there is so many systems a ship needs to safely travel in space that even if you get away, the chance of getting alive to a station for repairs is quite small.

I'm already starting to imagine some strategical approach for space combat. Here is an exemple of possible trajectory, that may be possible (or not depending on your acceleration) :

Attachment 19010

The goal is to attack a target in orbit around a moon by surprise. You park yourself in a mirror orbit of the moon, and you wait the right moment to start your move : you'll always have a body between your target and you, until the last moment.

If your ship is slow, it's only possible if the moon is close to the planet, and the faster (as in acceleration) you are, the farther the moon can be.

You'll also want to calculate the best encounter speed in regard to your weapon system, and if you want a hit and run or stay on your target after the move. The faster you are, the more options you have

We currently have the tech to protect our phones screens from falling or being hit by hammers. That same technology could help ships absorb impacts, spreading the stress across the entire hull. Perhaps the ship is designed with some little spikes that cause enemy projectile detonation a little too early? Or it coats the ship with an electromagnetic field that fries electronics as they pass through..

As for stopping someone from getting away, I see warefare as being more cat & mouse than dogfight. Strike & run. Prepare for next strike as your orbit comes around. It just requires too much energy to do a dogfight in space.

Good point for energy consumption. Unless you have a mothership or whatever near you, you won’t be able to restore the energy you lost (harvesting your opponent maybe? :P).

Moreover, dogfight means "close" combat, which looks cool in movies, but seems impossible IRL. Because ... space …
    I mean you can’t maneuver as fast with your little engines (top/bottom/left/right) and since you can’t use drag to make crazy stuns it will look ridiculous for your enemy.

Imagine your enemy 500 meters away looking at a fly trying to move. Add to that the fact that you need to “undo” the delta-v you produce, meaning your maneuvering is very predictable.
    With a hypothesis where a weapon travel faster that your little engines, like 100 times faster for example, you won’t come even close to 200-300 meters distance, because dodging reaction time will be ridiculous at this point and the one who shots first wins.

And don’t even think that with better engines you could go away, you will die with the G (I am no expert but I think so).

This said, the submarine is a clever comparison, in Silent Hunter (submarine “sim”), when you play in hardcore mode you do tons of thinking about how to approach your target at a safe distance, then you try to detect a pattern in its movement, and only when you are sure that the ship will go straight for the next X minutes you launch your torpedo. (With a little of geometry and simple math).
    With this comparison, I think Tryss’s image is showing very well what combat in space wil be.