Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Design a ship

Quote Originally Posted by TMC_Sherpa View Post
    I like it a lot Psypher. The center of mass might be a problem but I really like how it looks. As far as the name, I was using Maori so personally I have no problem with Brazilian (not that my vote counts :P).

I've spent the last few days thinking about containers and mass distribution.
    Using ballast to insure all the containers have the same mass seems wasteful but dirt simple.
    Having fuel tanks in each container sounds better but adds a lot of complexity.
    I want to say spin stabilization might be able to do the job but I'm not sure how much of that is "It would be cool" vs "That would actually work." A quick search pointed me to the PID controller wiki page but I haven't followed it from there. It's probably more of a you have a thousand containers strapped to the ship solution anyway.
    Just use the up/down thrusters (and maybe modulating the back thrusters if you have multiple) so that you thrust through the CoM. You wont go exactly forward, but you will thrust in a constant direction without inducing rotation to your ship. Of course that would be automated by the SAI (is that what it is called now?).

Quote Originally Posted by Psypher View Post
    Vessel Name: Jabuti (in honor of a Brazilian species of turtle).
    Role: Cargo, transport and service.
    Crew: 1, 2, (3 with H.A.B module)
    Ports: one utility and two service ports.
    Years in service: 70.
    I like, a lot. Well done.

Thank you all for the support.
    I'm really terrible with names, probably I'll change the ship's name, by the way, I like a lot the way that "Moebius" sounds (that guy from L.O.K. games).
    About center of mass, I came up with some solutions, but I really don't know if those are enough to solve the problem, first: before departure, the pilot needs input the layout and mass of the cargo in the ship's computer (or install a system that "reads" the state of any container attached to the ship). This computer will use this data to fine tune pilots input, it's more like in the Mi8 chopper, the stabilization system has only a few degrees of authority (it's not an auto-pilot function), an inexperienced pilot still can destroy the clamps. If I'm getting all this right, this computer can manage the thrust of any nozzle independently, delivering more punch where it's needed, of course, in maneuvers, and fully loaded this ship will be a fuel eater, it will be very common for newer pilots use the service port 1 to attach an extra fuel container.
    I really want this ship to be very challenging to fly when fully loaded.
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.

Remember that the Flux Drive is available. Especially for freighters that would probably make more sense than massive main thrusters at the back.

please please have physical strain gauges in the cockpit for the various mount points...must be as analog as possible!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemises View Post
    please please have physical strain gauges in the cockpit for the various mount points...must be as analog as possible!
    Love it

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by K-R View Post
    I also had a few thoughts on space tug, but in my idea the cockpit/crew compartment would be more inline relative to the cargo pods (Think X3 Mercury but smaller, broader and with detachable pods).
    We'll need a good number of these "background" ships, so just start tossing out ideas regardless of if it's been "done" already.

What are the cargo pod specifications in the RS universe? Is there a standard set of cargo pod size to aid rapid handling/loading? Are the clamps/access ports to the standard discussed before?
    I haven't worked out a specific design for these yet. Technically, my thought is that there are three standard sizes--"small, medium and large" for sake of argument--using the service, bulk and cargo docking ports respectively. This way, ANY ship other than "tiny" could theoretically transport cargo. Also, using the port system, the crew could enter cargo containers and inspect the cargo directly during flight (there's a gameplay reason for this later). Finally, this allows for different types of cargo pods ( refrigerated, pressurized with atmosphere, etc). So, Psypher's idea of chaining them and having a cargo extension module fall in line with what I had in mind.

Now, all that said, a large ship with internal cargo bays is STILL relevant. I kind of image all these pods mounted to "dummy" service ports within the cargo bay for stability. They'd still be accessible, etc.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vandrid View Post
    Here is my quick sketch, again all my digital stuff is down so I've really just been doodling.

Anyway this is a passenger vessel holding up to 200 people (not including personnel). I wanted to work off of the alcubierre drive as the main mode of transportation. It has four main engines for getting around in orbit, one bulk port on the upper dorsal section and two service ports as well. The cockpit holds two crew, seated above and below one another. likewise the passenger cabin is two storied, leaving plenty of room for cargo in the back of the hull.

The concept isn't fully fleshed out, I wanted a way of landing the thing with skids, somehow folding the alcubierre drive up, but I haven't come up with a good way to do that yet, so for now it stays in space. Also haven't come up with a name for it so if anyone thinks of a good one just shout it out.

one more thing, I am an artist (of sorts) so critiques are welcome, want to make something truly worthwhile for the game

Attachment 18346
    Looks like it's off to a good start. I love the idea of the crew sitting above and below each other. I can see some cool interior design elements from that coming into play (thinking ahead).

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    Looks like it's off to a good start. I love the idea of the crew sitting above and below each other. I can see some cool interior design elements from that coming into play (thinking ahead).
    Thanks, I'll keep on working on it. Is the Alcubierre drive something you are thinking of putting in? Or is that essentially what the flux drive is?

Quote Originally Posted by K-R View Post
    Remember that the Flux Drive is available. Especially for freighters that would probably make more sense than massive main thrusters at the back.
    Agreed! But I still think that this ship needs a powerful thrust system to maneuver properly, mainly for braking and accelerating purposes, but of course, I'm probably wrong. Another thing with the Flux drive is that I don't know the background history behind Rogue System, originally I was thinking about more than a hundred years of service for this ship, if this is practicable the flux drives on this ship will be very primitive, so, this vessel will have low Flux accelerations rates if compared to modern vessels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemises View Post
    I have something in mind for the cockpit, first, no vms, it's pure reinforced glass, all those screen informations will be delivered by a system similar to those we see in fighters jets (in a monochromatic way), but in a bigger curved transparent glass in front of the pilot's chair, this chair will have two positions, one for navigation and another for cargo delivery maneuvers, unfortunately, this cockpit needs to be very clean, so I think only those essentials gauges will have a place, but yes, all analogue stuff, and an electronic system can be consulted in the ships monitor for double checking those values, this ship will have a dedicated place for an engineer, this place could be a heaven for those that love gauges, switches and steams (if you remembered about the Nostromo your in the right direction) =)
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.