Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Design a ship

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    I mean, obviously things like welds and joints have stress limits, too; but my immediate concern would be destroying the clamps by stressing them out--not the entire port.
    I'd think the clamps would be the low hanging fruit when the force is pulling the ports apart, for sure. There's no way the clamps would be able to handle more force than the bulkhead it's attached to. But, in the case of pushing the ports together, then I'd expect the port seals and bulkhead attachment points to take the force, as the clamps wouldn't be stressed in that direction.

So, long wind cut short, I'd think ports could handle more pushing force than pulling, and shear the least. Wonder what would happen if you tried to rotate? It would be interesting if the ports had some kind of bearing system to allow "free" rotation when desired.

Pilot G-force effects should be accounted for also. Example, if the cockpit is quite some distance from the center of rotation, the pilot will experience more G-forces from roll pitch and yaw than if they were centered. The same goes for passengers I guess.
    If cargo was also allowed to break it's clamps that would be interesting. Will cargo change the CoM?

The "realm of plausibility" is vague, honestly. It's going to have to end up meaning, how detailed do you/we want to be, and how many physical concepts are/will be modeled? Every mass has inertia so anything that is not "part" of a ship should be subject to inertia? If we say no, then the realm of plausibility becomes something like, when a ship is docked it's part of the station, so there's no risk to that bond being compromised. But if we say yes, everything is subject to inertia, then it's going to be a matter of defining how many objects to lump together and simulate. And when we talk about objects in programming, then things get interesting, and quite quickly also :lol:

Administrator
    CoM can get offset based on attached equipment location and mass, but it is currently locked until I'm sure all physics are working correctly under "normal" conditions. To test it though, I unlocked it when you dock to another ship (hence why it's difficult to move the station once attached). Considering this, balance should be something to keep in mind.

At the very least, I want to model parts/docked ships becoming detached by force.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    CoM can get offset based on attached equipment location and mass, but it is currently locked until I'm sure all physics are working correctly under "normal" conditions. To test it though, I unlocked it when you dock to another ship (hence why it's difficult to move the station once attached). Considering this, balance should be something to keep in mind.

At the very least, I want to model parts/docked ships becoming detached by force.
    A system to compensate for changes in CoM based on available thrusters would be the best thing possible. I can imagine it happening something like, two ships connect, give each other the information they need like CoM coordinate and thrusters availability, and from their various challenges and responses for any course of action taken. The weak link would be the docking clamps I guess, and also objects sensitive to higher G-forces. These should be included in the calculations between the two ships as to how best operate while docked. And what if objects aren't attached, like people not harnessed or cargo on the move?

First of all, bear in mind that I'm presenting here an idea, I'm in no way a designer nor an artist, so, you can expect very simple drawings. Nothing is definitive in this project, not even the ship's name, so, any suggestion is very welcome.

Vessel Name: Jabuti (in honor of a Brazilian species of turtle).
    Role: Cargo, transport and service.
    Crew: 1, 2, (3 with H.A.B module)
    Ports: one utility and two service ports.
    Place of operation: Space only (maybe can make emergency landings in airless low gravity bodies, but it can't return to space by itself).
    Years in service: 70 (Originally I thought in more than a hundred years in service, but I dont know if this is practicable).

I had in mind when designing this ship a vessel that can be very ordinary to maneuver (low cargo) but extremely challenging when fully loaded, a ship that can be unforgiving if you exceed it's limits, but very rewarding if you respect it.

As time allows I will present a more detailed sketch.
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.

Administrator
    I like where this one is going The idea of both the habitat module and cargo extension module fall in line nicely with a few ideas I had.

Definitely keep working on it!

I like it a lot Psypher. The center of mass might be a problem but I really like how it looks. As far as the name, I was using Maori so personally I have no problem with Brazilian (not that my vote counts :P).

I've spent the last few days thinking about containers and mass distribution.
    Using ballast to insure all the containers have the same mass seems wasteful but dirt simple.
    Having fuel tanks in each container sounds better but adds a lot of complexity.
    I want to say spin stabilization might be able to do the job but I'm not sure how much of that is "It would be cool" vs "That would actually work." A quick search pointed me to the PID controller wiki page but I haven't followed it from there. It's probably more of a you have a thousand containers strapped to the ship solution anyway.
    Lazy and willing to work hard to stay that way

Here is my quick sketch, again all my digital stuff is down so I've really just been doodling.

Anyway this is a passenger vessel holding up to 200 people (not including personnel). I wanted to work off of the alcubierre drive as the main mode of transportation. It has four main engines for getting around in orbit, one bulk port on the upper dorsal section and two service ports as well. The cockpit holds two crew, seated above and below one another. likewise the passenger cabin is two storied, leaving plenty of room for cargo in the back of the hull.

The concept isn't fully fleshed out, I wanted a way of landing the thing with skids, somehow folding the alcubierre drive up, but I haven't come up with a good way to do that yet, so for now it stays in space. Also haven't come up with a name for it so if anyone thinks of a good one just shout it out.

one more thing, I am an artist (of sorts) so critiques are welcome, want to make something truly worthwhile for the game

Attachment 18346

Quote Originally Posted by Psypher View Post

Vessel Name: Jabuti (in honor of a Brazilian species of turtle).
    Role: Cargo, transport and service.
    Crew: 1, 2, (3 with H.A.B module)
    Ports: one utility and two service ports.
    Years in service: 70.
    Wonderful stuff!
    I also had a Tug in mind, your design far exceeds what I had in my head!!..keep running with this one, I'll back you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nemises View Post
    Wonderful stuff!
    I also had a Tug in mind, your design far exceeds what I had in my head!!..keep running with this one, I'll back you!
    I also had a few thoughts on space tug, but in my idea the cockpit/crew compartment would be more inline relative to the cargo pods (Think X3 Mercury but smaller, broader and with detachable pods).

Also it would be for short hauls (e.g. from station to big tramp freighter), so it would have only one crew with the possibility to cramp in a second person.

A question that came to me while contemplating that idea was:

What are the cargo pod specifications in the RS universe? Is there a standard set of cargo pod size to aid rapid handling/loading? Are the clamps/access ports to the standard discussed before?