Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Design a ship

Design a ship

We all have ideas on what our ships will be like. Some are fantastical and others more practical. Our ship designs won't ever end up in Rogue System (Not until there are more mods), but that doesn't mean our designs can't contribute. Whether it's a small 1 man ship idea, or a larger cruiser, submit your ideas for your ships here. Fret less about what your ship actually looks like and focus on the ship itself and how it operates. The systems needed and the requirements for it's functioning. Perhaps this kind of thread might help Michael get some new ideas (despite him already overflowing with them :P).

What information do we need?
    *What systems does your ship come fitted with? Which systems tie in together?
    *What is the rough layout of your ship? A design description (or a drawing for the artistically inclined) would be cool, but the focus is on how your ship works.
    *What fuels, resources or other requirements does your ship have to function?
    *Explanations or even Links to articles regarding the technology your ship uses (eg. FLUX drive is based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RF_res...avity_thruster)

SIDENOTE: Let's try to keep the systems within the realms of plausibility. The idea is to help Michael with some ideas from our knowledge.

Administrator
    Actually, your ideas not ending up in RogSys is not entirely accurate I was going to announce something similar anyway, so might as well fold it into this if you don't mind The idea being to get some additional assets in the game AND start to promote the modding aspect (which is tedious right now as data files have to be hand-edited, but not impossible because I use this same system to add the ships I create). Obviously I don't have the funds to do a big design competition (watching Star Citizen pull in in one day what I need to make early access a complete success can be frustrating sometimes ), but if your design/mod is used for the Core Module you'd obviously get an "Additional Art" mention in the credits (at least).

I AM working on a "style guide" for possible art hires later, but I don't want to post that for this--I don't want to restrict your thinking. Do keep in mind, since we're working with proper Newtonian physics, a proper distribution of mass, and balanced thrust forces, are very important. Basically, if it would work in KSP, it would work for RogSys.

Specifically for the Core Module, I'm looking for exterior designs only for civilian traffic--freighters, ferry and passenger liners, that sort of thing. These would mainly be used for "filler". For now, simple concept art is fine visually (shoot--maybe I'll even sell them or something <jk> ). However you want to visualize them is fine with me.

But absolutely, yes, if you are inclined to go deeper and flesh out a ship down to its functionality as NovusNecrontyr suggests go for it. I'm fairly certain that there are a lot of good ideas to yet be explored that I haven't thought of yet (I'm not THAT clever ). I can offer a few technical items to keep in mind.

--While not all ships need to have landing skids, they MUST all have at least one "utility" external docking port or greater. Docking ports come in 4 flavors--utility: 0.5m radius; service: 1.0m radius (the Flying Fox has these); bulk: ~3.0m radius; and cargo: ~6.0m radius

--external docking ports also serve to mount crewed components (escape pods, cockpit modules, etc).

--Much like external ports, there are also equipment mounts where standardized components can be attached to a ship, and these also come in 4 increasing sizes. The Flying Fox has four of the "small" type.

--Nothing comes without a cost, and this falls into the mentioned "realm of plausibility". If something is powered it generates heat and that must be managed, etc., etc.

Very interested to hear and see some of the ideas that come out of this...

Wish I hadn't called in sick.. I drew a small drawing of a large-ish cargo type ship design I could have uploaded...will have to wait till I get back to work Monday. 😕

Time to start up my designs! Sadly all my digital ways are down at the moment but I still own plenty of paper and pencils!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    --While not all ships need to have landing skids, they MUST all have at least one "utility" external docking port or greater. Docking ports come in 4 flavors--utility: 0.5m radius; service: 1.0m radius (the Flying Fox has these); bulk: ~3.0m radius; and cargo: ~6.0m radius
    Someone can describe what each port can do? I'm designing a ship and I'm in doubt if I need a service or bulk port. Thank you
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.

Administrator
    Utility ports are just enough to craw/crouch through, and pass small pieces of equipment. (tiny/small ship access)
    Service ports are just big enough to walk through without crouching (small to medium ship access)
    bulk ports would allow a few people through at one time (medium to large ship access)
    cargo ports obviously would allow large bulk containers to be moved (large to huge access)

So, you're not planning to add some "stress limit" in those ports? I mean, I can design a vessel that can drag a station, or a bigger ship connected to an utility/ service port without damaging those ports, right? (like in the tutorial mission).
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.

Administrator
    It would depend more on the mass of the ship you're trying to tow, in relation to how fast you're trying to accelerate it--more a situation of overstressing the clamping mechanism. I mean, obviously things like welds and joints have stress limits, too; but my immediate concern would be destroying the clamps by stressing them out--not the entire port.

But still, it's totally valid to have a bunch of utility ports on a station exterior to allow a bunch of small ships to dock...

You know, now I kind of want a bunch of OBJ files with textures to use to stick into my own designs for fixed modular pieces.

Because I'm perverse like that, you see.

Administrator
    I actually had every intention of putting together some .FBX or OBJ files of common elements. The only thing holding those up are the "final" designs; but I may be making a bit of progress on this in the near future...