Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet more checklists

I knew what you meant, I just wanted to poke you a bit :P

I'm sure NASA has a pdf somewhere. When I was looking up panel labeling I came up with a spec sheet for getting stickers approved for flight.

*Shrug* The only reason I worry about these things is documentation.

L1 BMS
    Power - ON L1-01

VS

BMS
    Power - ON BMS-01

and I think it looks a little cleaner especially if you use the tool tips rather than the physical text.

BMS
    BMS: Battery Enable to ON BMS-01

is pretty gross.

Anyway it looks real good man, I can retire now that I know things are in capable hands.

Ex-Sherpa
    Lazy and willing to work hard to stay that way

Quote Originally Posted by TMC_Sherpa View Post
    What would NASA do? That's a great question. It's such a great question that I sent an email in to them asking how it works on the ISS and if the other countries do things differently. Unfortunately they didn't get back to me before they got to Pluto so I suspect I've been sent to the back of the line
    I can help here!

NASA would (and did) number the panels rather than try to use notional descriptions—this was done for the Apollo CSM and shuttle (see, for example, this excerpt from the Block 2 Apollo CSM Operations Handbook. Each panel got a number that the astronauts were expected to simply know (though the panels were also grouped by names—the "Main Display Console" was panels 1-10, 12, 13, 15, and 16, for example). Each panel was then subdivided into an "area" of grouped controls. Finally, for fine reference, the big main display had horizontal and vertical grid references inscribed if you needed to tell someone where a specific control was ("Damn it, Bean, hit SCE to AUX! It's panel 3, group C, switch P-46!")

Maybe rather than worrying about describing where the switches are in the panels, you could borrow a page from the "real" way to do it and simply overlay the panels with a grid—ABCD for columns, numbers for rows. Then we'd know that the maintenance power cutoff position is on the ECS panel at switch position D15 or whatever.

NASA did get back to me. They sent me a link the the ISS website...as if I didn't look there first. Ah well.

My question is whether the documentation should reference the label on the button or the tool tip. With AR it would be possible to see tool tips in real life so I can't even say they don't exist, use the label.

R1 (Main Engine Systems) has 16 buttons and 3 displays which makes it the most complicated panel we have so far. While I would really dig having Panel/Cluster/Switch labels written out, the buttons are kinda chunky and they would eat a lot of space. I think numbering them left/right top/down is probably OK? I've drawn each panel (by hand, unlike JD McCheater up there ) a couple times now and I can't see the forest from the trees anymore. I know where the switch I'm looking for is so I'm not reading the label or the tool tip.

Sherpa

Quote Originally Posted by TMC_Sherpa View Post
    NASA did get back to me. They sent me a link the the ISS website...as if I didn't look there first. Ah well.

My question is whether the documentation should reference the label on the button or the tool tip. With AR it would be possible to see tool tips in real life so I can't even say they don't exist, use the label.

R1 (Main Engine Systems) has 16 buttons and 3 displays which makes it the most complicated panel we have so far. While I would really dig having Panel/Cluster/Switch labels written out, the buttons are kinda chunky and they would eat a lot of space. I think numbering them left/right top/down is probably OK? I've drawn each panel (by hand, unlike JD McCheater up there ) a couple times now and I can't see the forest from the trees anymore. I know where the switch I'm looking for is so I'm not reading the label or the tool tip.

Sherpa
    I posted this on "Alternative Checklists" thread, but isn't this sufficient? http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/...ightdatafiles/ or at least give enough details as to the checklist?

The datafiles are amazing, I used them extensively in the lists I made, however they only show how things are done from one space agency. What I was asking NASA for was information on the Japanese or Russian sections of the ISS to see if they use different systems (As a hypothetical, an Israeli design might number the panels from right to left). I know I'm the only one banging on about panel positions and numbering but there is a method to my madness. At some point we'll be able to fly several different spacecraft and I'm hoping there are some differences in the cockpits and flight manuals between them. The story takes place far enough in the future that Boeing probably merges with Airbus and everything comes out of the same factory but a boy can dream right?

Sherpa

At the least, there would surely be a difference between a modified civvy shuttle and a fully militarized one (see a bell UH1 (Huey) and AH1 (Huey Cobra)for eg...same chassis / engine (well..I think a dual engine in the Cobra ..), but lots of extras in the AH1 cockpit)

I did a quick shutdown checklist for the Firearc, it's nothing fancy, but I think that do it's job.
    It is still a WIP, may contain some errors, so if you can link them, I would be grateful and would correct to post again.

Thank you all.

Attachment 18139
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.

Very Nice!
    Some erratum:

- two t'2 in Battery (several instances all throughout)
    - Battery 2 Shutdown: Depress LENR ENABLE
    - BATERYES (should be Batteries) shutdown complete

Quote Originally Posted by Nemises View Post
    Very Nice!
    Some erratum:

- two t'2 in Battery (several instances all throughout)
    - Battery 2 Shutdown: Depress LENR ENABLE
    - BATERYES (should be Batteries) shutdown complete
    Thank you Nemises, file edited...
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.

Thanks a lot! This is extremely helpful!