Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yet more checklists

Yet more checklists

Inspired by tanner's checklist, and TMC_Sherpa's cockpit line drawings, allow me to throw my efforts at you all.

I have created a checklist/flight manual based very loosely on the Space Shuttle's manuals. The checklist will take you as far as undocking, but more can easily be added. What's more, I have made it publicly available on GitHub: https://github.com/MerseyViking/FireArc-checklist

It's created with XeLaTeX, uses a minimum of packages, and the fonts are available from Google's font library. If you are unwilling to futz about with XeLaTeX (and who can blame you), the compiled PDF is there too. If you don't know what GitHub is, then you can find the PDF attached to this post.

The line-drawings were created with a little bit of scripting, and a bunch of Blender-fu; and were taken from the in-game models, so they are, for now, accurate (a few 3D to 2D rendering issues notwithstanding).

Administrator
    Hi. I only had a moment to take a glance at the pdf version (I'll give it a better look tomorrow after the update is squared away)--looks very nice. Well done...

Ooh, this is exactly what I need. Thanks! I very much hope you feel like adding pre-dock, dock and shutdown.

Nice! Gotta include the document revisions page and some classification markers.

Dude, that is so cheating... I wish I would have thought of that.

Anywho looks good. One column with plenty of white space is the way to go based on the comments from the other checklists. I probably should have listened myself.

So now the real questions can begin.

Is the BMS panel L1 or L1U? L1 makes the RCM panel L2 but L1U makes it L1. From a pedantic standpoint L1U and L1 is probably correct but I'm not sure if anyone else will go with it. Heck I'm not sure I've convinced anyone that MTS should be R2 because it's "up" from COMMS.

Sherpa

PS LaTeX? Really? I thought I was the crazy one :P
    Lazy and willing to work hard to stay that way

Really nice ! Thanks ! Can you add the docking & shutdown procedures ?

Thanks Sherpa. Yeah, I'm a big geek, so think nothing of scripting this sort of stuff and wrapping it in LaTeX I did think about using a more modern form of markup like ReStructuredText (as a Pythonista this is my preferred choice) or Markdown, but I'm not sure whether they would be powerful enough to get the layout I want. I have nothing much to do today, so I might make a start on that and see what I come up with. Either way, my aim is to make it so that anyone, regardless of OS (I'm mostly on Linux), can enhance it and fix bugs. I feel very strongly about word processors being poor tools for anything other than writing letters

As for panel positions, yes, I'm no expert so I figured I would just use the names of the panels rather than their position - that's easily changed though if we can come up with a consistent naming scheme. If the -U suffix represents the laterodistal* panels relative to the pilot (that is, ones furthest from the left and right of the pilot, which would make BMS L1U and RCM L1), then MTS must be R1. WWND? (What would NASA do?

-JD

* If you were struggling with dorsal/ventral, then you'd better start reading about distal and proximal... See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatom...ms_of_location TL;DR: http://www.mt911.com/site/term/direction_position.asp

The moderation system on this forum is odd: my first ever post with links and attachments went up without a problem, but a simple reply to a post gets eaten by the arbitrary moderator approval system... So if this appears twice, then blame Skynet (I, for one, welcome our robotic overlords). The gist of what I said was:

I didn't relish the thought of drawing my own panels from scratch, so I do what I do best and got the computer to do the heavy lifting. Of course, the time it took me to write conversion scripts and clean up the 3D was probably longer than TMC_Sherpa took to draw them by hand...

The one column thing was inspired by the shuttle manuals, but also my very first job after leaving school at the tender age of 17 was re-writing the documentation for the Harpoon missile, which was originally done in one ancient and archaic system, into another obscure and obsolete system (it was the late 80's, obscure military systems were the norm - I would love to track down the software we used, just out of professional curiosity). The practical upshot is that I noticed the documentation ran to many many pages, mostly because there was so much white space, and I figured the US government (and UK government in my case) wouldn't waste resources unnecessarily...

As for naming the consoles, not being an expert (apropos my first job), I went with naming the panels by function rather than position - but if that is the convention, then it's an easy change on my part. My feeling is that the BMS panel should be named L1U because the -U suffix represents the laterodistal* panel wrt the pilot, and the rest of the console is divided fairly neatly into a mostly rectangular grid. But based on that, there's no way MTS should be named R2!

I went with LaTeX because a) I'm a massive typography nerd, and b) it gives me the control I want without having to resort to proprietary platform-specific software. Also I feel very strongly about word processors being used for anything other than writing letters! I've poked around with Markdown and ReStructured Text, and they just don't give me the control I want, so for now at least I'll stick with LaTeX. Of course that doesn't mean I won't find a way to hide the horror of LaTeX behind some neat Python-fu...
    -JD

* if you struggled with dorsal/ventral, you should read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatom...ms_of_location TL;DR: http://www.mt911.com/site/term/direction_position.asp

What would NASA do? That's a great question. It's such a great question that I sent an email in to them asking how it works on the ISS and if the other countries do things differently. Unfortunately they didn't get back to me before they got to Pluto so I suspect I've been sent to the back of the line

MES would be R1. The panels are at an angle which puts MTS above COMMS but if BMS is L1U then MTS would be R2U. Page 1.1-9 has the codes listed but honestly I'm not sure it matters all that much on the Prototype because there aren't that many places to stick panels. I could use the airlock codes from 1.1-11 but I think that would be cruel.

Libreoffice is not great for making a book type thing. 90% is a right click away but the other 10% is in a menu somewhere dumb.

I'll send you a hint about links and posts. I'd come out and say it but I'm not sure why the forum works the way it does and I don't want to get hassled about it.

Sherpa
    Lazy and willing to work hard to stay that way

Apologies Sherpa, I got my MES and MTS panels mixed up when I replied to you... It is a tricky situation - Michael, can you redesign the panels to make documentation easier to write?

Shame NASA didn't get back to you, but there are other space agencies we could ask, they're not at all busy

Anyway, for those who are interested, I have uploaded the latest version of my checklist to GitHub, with much improved panel drawings - now with text! I have used the font used in the game, but as it is a commercial font I have converted it to outlines in the PDF versions of the drawings, and kept it as a reference in the SVG versions. If that doesn't make sense, don't worry, just look at the new finished document attached.

-JD