Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to back up your activation data...

Administrator

How to back up your activation data...

Tim Wheatley from ISI put together this video that explains how to back up your activation data...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMVuqsqowmA

Thanks, Tim

Thanks for the link.
    For those who can't be bothered to watch a video, or like me have to pay for data, just back up the rogue system folder you can find in the roaming subdirectory of your %appdata%

Thanks, this will be handy when I upgrade to Win10 soon.

Is activation one-time only?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by skuripanda View Post
    Is activation one-time only?
    No. From what I understand the default is 5; but more can be requested. Backing up will keep you from having to use them for simple things like re-formats and such...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    No. From what I understand the default is 5; but more can be requested. Backing up will keep you from having to use them for simple things like re-formats and such...
    Does that mean that I can activate it on my laptop as well as my desktop? I wouldn't suspect so, just curious. Since I'm currently dealing with a bug that makes it pretty annoying to play on my desktop I was going to try on my laptop, however this makes it sound like if I do that I wont be able to play on my desktop anymore. Seems like what it's doing from basic understanding I can glean from the video is that it's taking the mac from the hard drive and some other system details to activate.

If so, that's unfortunate... I am most definitely not against DRM. But it certainly can be frustrating in certain situations/configurations.

Indeed, I didn't realize this was a thing, here, and it makes me feel not so good*.

What are our options if we should run into this limit? Can we de-auth stuff?

* - While DRM in software (license enforcement) is certainly different than DRM on multimedia (fair-use rights removal), I am strongly against DRM in any form, generally.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by draeath View Post
    Indeed, I didn't realize this was a thing, here, and it makes me feel not so good*.

What are our options if we should run into this limit? Can we de-auth stuff?

* - While DRM in software (license enforcement) is certainly different than DRM on multimedia (fair-use rights removal), I am strongly against DRM in any form, generally.
    I know, I'm honestly not a fan myself, but it is what it is--one of the conditions of ISI providing minimum funding was to use their purchase system obviously. If you run into the limit you can contact me, or ISI support, and new activations can be obtained. My eventual hope is that I'll be able to release a DRM-free Release-version of RogSys on GoG. We'll see how it goes...

One good bit of news is that if anything were ever to happen to ISI (although they've been around since the 90's IIRC), I retain all rights to RogSys. Meaning with one update I could pull out their purchase system and replace it with whatever I saw fit to best continue forward. Of course, the next step for RogSys is a Steam option, too. Not that this matters so much to the topic, just saying...

Administrator
    By the way, just so everyone is aware, an internet connection is NOT required to launch RogSys, only to authorize it. The only reason the launcher hits the ISI server at launch is to check for a new Message of The Day. If one isn't found (no new message, server down, etc), RogSys launches regardless. Again, just some general FYI...

I will wait for the steam version. I used to hate STEAM, but they finally have improved its performance on your computer now. Works pretty well. So once its on steam, I will definitely get a copy. Thanks for that info. I was hoping for the STEAM version eventually.