Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Thread: Current Change Log

Excellent work on the update Michael. Maybe (for me) the only thing to refine is that orbital data information on the right side, away from view while manuvering, that is a little bit unconfortable.. The CAW It's perfect! I feel at home with alarms and warnings up now.

I found that if you are traveling at constant speed, when you accelerate the timespeed to 5x, the autopilot after a few seconds goes crazy rolling and pitching the ship randomly.. maybe a bug here?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Maisobrio View Post
    Excellent work on the update Michael. Maybe (for me) the only thing to refine is that orbital data information on the right side, away from view while manuvering, that is a little bit unconfortable.. The CAW It's perfect! I feel at home with alarms and warnings up now.

I found that if you are traveling at constant speed, when you accelerate the timespeed to 5x, the autopilot after a few seconds goes crazy rolling and pitching the ship randomly.. maybe a bug here?
    Yes--AP auto-steering needs some TLC for sure! Up next on the to-do list is moving the orbit data to the main VMS screen when in NAVIGATION mode. I have a few cool ideas for it

Edit: and, Thank You!

I don't think it's random, I just think the autopilot is overcompensing the error and the system become unstable.

The question is : why the parameters of the control loop is correct at 1x and unstable at 5x.

maybe there is a limit in terms of accuracy.. the more time runs fast, the more accuracy lacks..

Quote Originally Posted by Tryss View Post
    I don't think it's random, I just think the autopilot is overcompensing the error and the system become unstable.

The question is : why the parameters of the control loop is correct at 1x and unstable at 5x.
    The issue was discussed last year -- in more than 1x time advance (the higher, the worse) the more there is a chance that the game code's "physics ticks" aren't happening fast enough to compensate for incorrect position, complicated further if you have hot (and even cold) plasma RCS active. With Cold gas mode RCS and 5x time advance, while travelling in a straight line (something I tested out for fun), the autopilot adjustments are much more finer, so the random corrections in 5x speed USUALLY don't cause the ship to go crazy. With cold/hot plasma, one tiny burst of RCS changes the angles much more, so the Autopilot can't keep up (maybe something like that).
    Can cantankerous cans candidly containing cancerous contaminants coexist considering conclusive conspiracies claim canning cantaloupes can cause comically concentric callouses?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sampak View Post
    The issue was discussed last year -- in more than 1x time advance (the higher, the worse) the more there is a chance that the game code's "physics ticks" aren't happening fast enough to compensate for incorrect position, complicated further if you have hot (and even cold) plasma RCS active. With Cold gas mode RCS and 5x time advance, while travelling in a straight line (something I tested out for fun), the autopilot adjustments are much more finer, so the random corrections in 5x speed USUALLY don't cause the ship to go crazy. With cold/hot plasma, one tiny burst of RCS changes the angles much more, so the Autopilot can't keep up (maybe something like that).
    Yeah, this is a new bug that's just popped up. I actually was able to reproduce it today--still looking for the cause though. However, I made some AP steering changes not long ago, so that's where I'm looking first...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    Yeah, this is a new bug that's just popped up. I actually was able to reproduce it today--still looking for the cause though. However, I made some AP steering changes not long ago, so that's where I'm looking first...
    Yeah, that may be so. I do find it strange (or perhaps it's for a realistic reason/side effect after all!) that this happens with simple Attitude hold modes, not just the navigational A/P controls. One would think if the ship is sitting put then nothing *should* cause a need for attitude adjustment (though, I can believe there may be a minuscule angular momentum always present, that shows itself after a large amount of time passes and triggers the A/P to compensate?) or perhaps while boosting / MES scooting, the ship *might* be nudging over a tad due to tiny imperfections in the engine/engines' thrust(-line)? Answered my own questions maybe? Hehe.
    Can cantankerous cans candidly containing cancerous contaminants coexist considering conclusive conspiracies claim canning cantaloupes can cause comically concentric callouses?

Administrator
    No, this should NOT happen with the holds, and it does (which is how I can tell this bug is entirely new). The holds never had a problem in the past (at least not to my knowledge)...

LOL it was always an issue for me, (I think as far back as August with update 2 maybe, before the Transfer interface and its A/P were implemented on the FireArc) all I had were the AP yaw/pitch/roll holds ON, and out of the blue, IF I RECALL correctly, at 2-5x time advance the ship would start jumping around trying to compensate while traveling with the then MTS booster brute forcing to another moon, etc. Meh, something like that.

At least you're able to get it to happen on your side so we can finally squash this fun sucker!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    No, this should NOT happen with the holds, and it does (which is how I can tell this bug is entirely new). The holds never had a problem in the past (at least not to my knowledge)...
    Technically speaking, angular momentum can be induced IRL on orbiting craft when the reference body's gravity is non-spherical, not to mention the effects of other gravity sources. Sounds like you haven't yet implemented that level of complexity into the sim, though.