Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Checklists

thx will be using this, very handy
    i7 920@4.2GHz, 12Gig ram, GTX 780Ti, 3 monitor set-up 5760x1080

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    I'm well aware it doesn't translate completely well to spaceship flying given that there is no night time in space and the fact that space is so vast and empty and we have ship radar as well as tracking brackets meaning the odds of ever spotting anything with the Mk1 eyeball first is close to nil. So it all comes down to personal preference whether you like it on or off, I just turn it off because of tradition.
    Yep, this was my thinking of it. I know why it's done in aircraft (in fact I do it in my car at night - screens go off, if I'm using cruise control I even shut off my dashboard (problem lights would still show). I was really questioning the utility of it in space - if you're in visual range you're already absurdly close :P

This is really cool, thx for this!

As a complete space sim noob or flight sim noob in general I can tell what I am strugeling most with currently and the in game tutorial as nice it is just doesn't help me much with that particular thing. Maybe it is just a personal thing, dunno. I just do not understand how all the ship systems work together and their dependencies.
    If I learn the in game tutorial stuff I just learn to press the buttons in a particular order but I do not really understand yet how it all works togehter which makes learning a bit slower than what I am used to and it is not my usual approach to things.

If something unexpected happens to me in the space I'd be completely lost.
    I suppose there might be a slight language barier aswell with the tut bc all the new scy fi tech stuff is just....well that.....new and english is not my native language.

Was thinking about opening a thread about this, where we could discuss all the ship systems and their functions but makes me feel even more noobish

hehe,
    I'm no expert either, but, just think of it this way.
    Everything in the ship needs electricity to run.
    Some stuff runs off low voltage (think your car stereo in your car)
    Some stuff runs off high voltage (think your car's starter motor)

So, we have 3 power "busses" which distribute power to the various systems
    2 of the busses (Pri and Sec) are "low voltage", and one of them "main" is high voltage

So, now consider that everything needs to draw power from one of these to function.
    This includes Pumps, solenoids, basically anything that is mechanical or electrical.

So , looking at the startup sequence...
    We have batteries to store power for "low voltage" stuff, so we need to turn those on...as they are charged they can start to power the low voltage stuff, so lets now turn that stuff on
    - Radios
    - Pumps and so on for Fuel Cells (which are themselves a backup power generator to the main Nuclear reactor), the LENR (Car Engine), the Reactant core (which is like your fuel tank).
    - cooling system (TMS) (think radiator and fan in your car)

Once the pumps and fuel flow are all working we can supply fuel and containment on the Big engine, the LENR (low energy nuclear reactor)...so we need the low voltage stuff to power the equipment that runs the High voltage stuff.

Once the LENR is on, it generates a ton of power, and allows us to run a High Voltage main bus (as well as charging the batteries that are running the low voltage busses)

With the Main bus on, we can turn on the High Voltage stuff such as the Plasma heaters for the Main Engines, and the weapons

So,
    Don't know if that helps, but, at least 50% (probably more) of the stuff you are turning on is for generating power...
    Power is needed to pump fuel, run containment fields (for the nuclear reactor), power coolant pumps, radios, etc..so a lot of the work in the start up is to generate the right amount of power (low voltage and high voltage) and also have redundancy (Fuel Cells vs LENR, Primary and Secondary Bus balance mode)...

Just pointing out your radio and starter both run off 12 volts. The amps on the other hand...

for sure! ..I'm no sparky

Nemises, you explained that exceptionally well.
    -Bart

Talking about checklists, how viable would these information be for Rogue System? http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/...ightdatafiles/

Wow. That's awesome!

Would take a ton of work to turn it into something useful though, as you'd expect for being the minutiae for shuttle-specific work. It's also absolutely full of acronyms and abbreviations that are probably lost on most of us.

These are great! I will definitely be using these from the get go!