Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Checklists

Alternative Checklists

Hey,

I made some alternative checklists. I wrote them in the style of military fast jet checklists.

Added a couple sections on limitations and emergency procedures. Not much to say on limitations at the moment so I added what I could. Emergency procedures are also a little thin, just a couple of possible emergencies and a table with a couple of warning lights causes and corrective actions. Nothing too fancy. That section along with the cover were rushed just so I could show how the finished product might look.

I've got pieces of a flight manual, technical drawing ideas but I think that's something the developer will end up having to handle.

Corrections, criticisms all welcome.

Really good thanks, particulary the warnings
    facilis descensus averni

Administrator
    I'll sticky this if you're planning on updating it...

Edit: very cool though...

This is great, tanner! I printed it right when I opened it. Love the emergency protocols as well.
    -Bart

Great! Thanks for this.

perhaps a suggestion if this is something you will keep up to date, take a look at the Falcon 4 BMS Main Checklist. Look at that spacing/format, its a little easier to read.

Or even just keep them all in the format of your Emergency Procedures section

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy
    Maybe I'm a sucker for the graphic design (who are we kidding, I know I am) but this is my favorite so far, I think. The troubleshooting protocols at the end are great.

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    I've got pieces of a flight manual
    I look forward to seeing what you have. Thanks for the work, it's much appreciated.

Question: why does everyone turn the cabin lights off? Is there a legitimate reason, or is it just habit? I prefer to be able to see the hardware.

(I can't imagine the lighting tech we have in the future is very power hungry. Look at what we have today.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by draeath View Post
    Question: why does everyone turn the cabin lights off? Is there a legitimate reason, or is it just habit? I prefer to be able to see the hardware.

(I can't imagine the lighting tech we have in the future is very power hungry. Look at what we have today.
    It does consume SOME power, yes. Beyond that though, the shadow system is not fully optimized yet, so turning the lights off does buy back a few FPS as a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    I'll sticky this if you're planning on updating it...

Edit: very cool though...
    Most definitely. I absolutely love what you have created so far and I'm very excited to see where it can go from here. Unforunately for me I'll be moving interstate for the next 4 months due to work which itself is going to keep me incredibly busy. I've been informed that I'm going to have very little spare time.

I'll still keep an eye out and update as best as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovenmit View Post
    Great! Thanks for this.

perhaps a suggestion if this is something you will keep up to date, take a look at the Falcon 4 BMS Main Checklist. Look at that spacing/format, its a little easier to read.

Or even just keep them all in the format of your Emergency Procedures section
    I'll take a look at it and see how it could be improved. Looking back at it I do sort of get that wall-of-text feel from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Osric View Post
    I look forward to seeing what you have. Thanks for the work, it's much appreciated.
    There's really not much. I'm certainly not a developer so I don't have access to a lot of details and I don't want to completely fill my checklist and manual with incorrect information.

For example the TMS COOL PRESSURE warning light section was just all guesswork mostly. I'm a bit clueless on the specifics of that system. Which systems it effects and how, isolation mechanics and the relation to temp warnings or coolant level. It's really mostly just to illustrate the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by draeath View Post

The main reason is due to human biology. For a human eye to be able to see well in the dark our eyes contain a light sensitive protein, rhodopsin, which is a combination of opsin and retinal. Upon exposure to light the rhodopsin bleaches which separates the retinal from the opsin with the end result being that we lose our sensitivity to low light. It is for this reason that all aircraft crew operating at night fly in dark cockpits with only instrument lighting and very little ambient lighting.

I'm well aware it doesn't translate completely well to spaceship flying given that there is no night time in space and the fact that space is so vast and empty and we have ship radar as well as tracking brackets meaning the odds of ever spotting anything with the Mk1 eyeball first is close to nil. So it all comes down to personal preference whether you like it on or off, I just turn it off because of tradition.

An additional note on the checklists is that it contains nothing on communications. Aircraft operating manuals never contain checks on communication as this is a matter handled by the relevant governing body of airspace who issue their own publications containing communication procedures. The comms modeled are also currently very simplified but I still might add it in its own section just to be complete.

Thanks for all the kind words so far.