Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Boeing 737 Inspired Checklists/Flows

Cool Thanks for the check list, going to print that

Quote Originally Posted by Ayakano View Post
    Port and Starward were intentional
    This brings to mind the dorsal/ventral radiators. In a spacecraft, wouldn't the correct terms for this be zenith and nadir? (think of it this way - we use fore/aft, not bow/stern)

Quote Originally Posted by draeath View Post
    This brings to mind the dorsal/ventral radiators. In a spacecraft, wouldn't the correct terms for this be zenith and nadir? (think of it this way - we use fore/aft, not bow/stern)
    you'll have to explain that one, in my mind zenith means something completely different and i've never heard of nadir

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by draeath View Post
    I thought those would be even more "alien" than dorsal/ventral. But yes, they would be more fitting terms.... Oh well, it's good to learn new things

Quote Originally Posted by Ayakano View Post
    you'll have to explain that one, in my mind zenith means something completely different and i've never heard of nadir
    Have a good read (PDF warning)

Check page 135 (PDF page 137). Here's a screenshot of the page.

I don't think you should worry about alien terms as long as they're correct. Helicon Ionizer? Gotta know what it means.

I feel like the terminology should be:
    Fore/Aft
    Port/Starboard
    Zenith/Nadir

And then when you need to refer to directions that might be different but relative to what you're docked with, somthing like Stationward and Antistationward.

EDIT: Actually, don't Zenith/Nadir actually refer to away and toward the orbited body? It's only because the ISS maintains orientation relative to the Earth that they can refer to those directions. I think Dorsal/Ventral might actually be more correct.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousepic View Post
    EDIT: Actually, don't Zenith/Nadir actually refer to away and toward the orbited body? It's only because the ISS maintains orientation relative to the Earth that they can refer to those directions. I think Dorsal/Ventral might actually be more correct.
    Complete noob here, I'm not sure if it's the most technically precise term but the term "dorsal" seems to be the intuitive choice to me. I know where dorsal fins are on sea creatures so referring to the dorsal and ventral docking port allows me to assume that the ventral one's the one that isn't dorsal (if that makes sense?).

[edit] Thanks much to Ayakano too for the checklists. Now I can throw away my hurriedly scribbled upon envelopes and print out real ones.

Quote Originally Posted by curiousepic View Post
    I don't think you should worry about alien terms as long as they're correct. Helicon Ionizer? Gotta know what it means.

I feel like the terminology should be:
    Fore/Aft
    Port/Starboard
    Zenith/Nadir

And then when you need to refer to directions that might be different but relative to what you're docked with, somthing like Stationward and Antistationward.

I'm not sure - a good option is to dig up what they called the directions on other non-station craft such as the Shuttle and such. Wikipedia however does state that it is relative to a particular location - doesn't seem to require that said location be the orbited body.

As far as the orientation of the object you're on - I'd say just use the same directions but prefix them, eg "station-aft" if you need it to be fixed relative to the structure, else you could just use the orbital directions prograde/retrograde, normal/antinormal, radial/antiradial.

Quote Originally Posted by PMC View Post
    hold on I haven't drank any PORT that isn't red, and yes it is on the LEFT , but your green text confuses this saying . your 'left' should be red the colour of port.

I was taught the same saying , PORT is red and how much is LEFT

that's why I drink beer which is AMBER and tells me to speed up and make the lights
    You present a valid argument good sir. Colour changed to suit. :-) Never let it be said that the roguepossum is reluctant to a schooling. ;-)

LOL no worries Rogue or is it really Zapp Brannigan
    Anything and everything is possible, it's just a matter of finding out how.