Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman Track Creator

Okay. My comments in red.

* Moving a node's control points. If you plan to allow the user to use nodes and control points to manipulate the spline, bear in mind that in BTB it's very difficult to move a control point without accidentally rotating it about the node. So an attempt to modify a corner can easily un-straighten the preceding straight. - Already anticipated control nodes problems related to splines because of 3DS Max/gmax modeling.
    * The undo system is very slow. I think BTB just copies old versions of the track file and loads them when Undo is used. - I'll keep this in mind and find a way to keep the undo's as fast as possible.
    * File duplication. Object/texture packs (XPacks) are stored in a folder, and when imported into a project they are copied to its local folder. - I haven't planned on any object/texture packs. However, I already have a plan in place for pre-done textures/objects. It has to do with unpacking what the simulator has and putting it into a directory that can be referenced by the projects.
    * Importing objects. We have to use BTB's separate XPacker program to import a new object. It's okay if it all goes to plan the first time round, but updating the object requires re-importing to XPacker, then updating the XPack file. XPacker only updates what's in the XPacks folder, but not the project's folder. - I haven't planned on any object/texture packs per-say. But I do have plans for shared objects which will not require you to go through the process that you have described.
    * Track merging. BTB tracks are spline-based, so it means two tracks cannot just be joined together. My preferred method is to align the polys in a certain way, and then use an external program to delete/move vertices and remap textures if necessary. It gets good results but is very time consuming, and cannot be imported back into BTB for further use. Changing the track layout requires the merging to be done all over again. I think a good solution would be to allow some polys to be extruded from the end of one track to the side of another, but leaving the tracks under the control of splines or whatever other parameters you would use. - I've also noticed this issue in BTB. My editor will use a spline for the shape of the track, and additional splines for each surface. Also, in addition to defining the "centerline" (or the primary path) of a segment, you can define "sub-paths" to those segments as a means to seamlessly branch-off a new track.
    * Cross sections. Each track has a default cross section with 5 points. Multiple cross sections can be used at different parts of the track but they all have to have the same number of points. If one part of the track needs a lot of points, say to make a smooth curved banked corner, the whole track will have extra polys. - Because I'm expanding off of the concept used by the sandbox track editor, you won't have this problem.
    * BTB has a skydome/horizon template but it's within a .mas file and we cannot see it in BTB. This makes it quite hard to customize these elements. - The skybox objects (that you define/model) will be a property of the track.

And here's an idea:
    * Drape a track and terrain over an object or heightmap image. BTB can import kml/gps data but the generated tracks are often too jagged. We can reduce the number of points processed but then the track loses its profile. A while ago I found a set of heightmaps and was able to make a 3d object out of it. I imported it into BTB and began draping my track over it. It was a tedious process, especially when it came to the terrain where I had to do one node at a time. I've never done a complete track that way but I think it has potential. - Something similar to that had crossed my mind. But it might be a bit difficult to implement.

The following tasks on the TODO list are complete:

• Move the new track dialog call to the window that comes up when "File->New" is called.
    • Modify the new track dialog to request the simulator that the track is being made for.

Also, the following tasks are important and have been added to the list.

• Implement the 3D accelerator.
    • Implement text editor window for text files related to the track.

First post updated.

Very interesting. However, people working independently and not altogether is not desirable IMO.

We have Mario Morais and his track making tools.
    Dave Noonan and his 3dsimed.
    Brendon Pywell and BTB.
    And now you.

The first three programs are quite different conceptually between them.
    The only complete track making tool
    Is BTB but is quite limited in some aspects especially regarding geometry and texture editing because the development stopped.
    3dsimed is nice for solving some of the issues of BTB (shader editting) but is not actually a track making but editting tool.
    Marios tools work under 3dsmax so its not properly a track making software IMO. Scripts are not user friendly and should be avoided from this type of sofware.

I will give you later on my list of things that would make BtB the perfect tool. Some of them have been already mentioned.

enviado mediante tapatalk

Looks like a great project, Mr. Chapman. #1 on my wish list would be Linux compatibility (wine is fine) as I spend most of my time in Linux these days and could work on a track I've been thinking about for a long time at leisure there. What language / dev environment will you be using for your project?

Keep up the good work,

Uwe

Quote Originally Posted by TChapman500 View Post
    Okay. My comments in red.
    Sounds good. Thanks for replying.

Quote Originally Posted by SPASKIS View Post
    Very interesting. However, people working independently and not altogether is not desirable IMO.

Brendon Pywell and BTB.
    And now you.
    Don't know if it was intended but that comes across as a bit insulting. Personally, I thank you TChapman500 for attempting this. It would be great to have a more user friendly track creator. Best of luck with it.

Brendon Pywell and BTB.
    And now you.

The first three programs are quite different conceptually between them.
    The only complete track making tool
    Is BTB but is quite limited in some aspects especially regarding geometry and texture editing because the development stopped.
    3dsimed is nice for solving some of the issues of BTB (shader editting) but is not actually a track making but editting tool.
    Marios tools work under 3dsmax so its not properly a track making software IMO. Scripts are not user friendly and should be avoided from this type of sofware.

I will give you later on my list of things that would make BtB the perfect tool. Some of them have been already mentioned.
    Not sure how to interpret this. The funny thing is that this track editor is being based more on the sandbox track editor than BTB.

Quote Originally Posted by hoover View Post
    Looks like a great project, Mr. Chapman. #1 on my wish list would be Linux compatibility (wine is fine) as I spend most of my time in Linux these days and could work on a track I've been thinking about for a long time at leisure there. What language / dev environment will you be using for your project?

Keep up the good work,

Uwe
    Thanks. I have no experience programming with Linux or this "wine" thing. The track editor is being developed under the C++/MFC environment.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Sounds good. Thanks for replying.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw View Post
    Don't know if it was intended but that comes across as a bit insulting. Personally, I thank you TChapman500 for attempting this. It would be great to have a more user friendly track creator. Best of luck with it.
    Thanks. And you're welcome.

I am attempting to implement the 3D accelerator.

Quote Originally Posted by TChapman500 View Post
    Not sure how to interpret this. The funny thing is that this track editor is being based more on the sandbox track editor than BTB.
    I just wanted to say that it is a shame people working on different projects and none of them provides a global solution to modders. I shouldn't be using so many different programs to build a track for rf2.

enviado mediante tapatalk

My dream would be proper Blender modelling support being available both for rf2 tracks, assets and cars. We have such a powerful, free and open source modelling tool available it's a shame we're not making better use of it.

Cheers, Uwe

I just wanted to say that it is a shame people working on different projects and none of them provides a global solution to modders. I shouldn't be using so many different programs to build a track for rf2.
    It is possible to make it so that the time you spend in other programs is reduced, but I just don't think that a "global solution" is possible. The primary goal of this track editor is to make it easy to create tracks with absolute precision and seamless transitions between different "tracks" on multi-course tracks. However, I have given some thought as to how certain objects like grandstands would be built (since grandstands usually inherit the shape of the race track).

Quote Originally Posted by hoover View Post
    My dream would be proper Blender modelling support being available both for rf2 tracks, assets and cars. We have such a powerful, free and open source modelling tool available it's a shame we're not making better use of it.
    Now there's a thought. Make my track editor just a Blender plugin/extension. I'm not sure that that's such a good idea. None-the-less, I will consider it.

First post updated.

I should point out that Traveller is already making good progress with a Blender plugin:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...-%281%29-GMT-s

Having used BTB for a while I think it's fair to say there are advantages of dedicated track programs. Blender/3dsMax can be quite daunting whereas BTB or CTC can omit irrelevant materials settings (for example) and provide things like cross sections which Blender doesn't have (not sure about 3dsMax).

BTW, another issue with BTB was that Brendon stopped communicating. It's understandable since there's a real world out there, but given BTB's potential, the lack of info has caused a bit of aggro.