Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Chapman Track Creator

Long time, no update: I can fix that. Here's the status update.

Apparently, the rFactor 2 forums has been deleted as well as the CTC thread in that forum. So I will post updates to the track editor here. I'm currently working on a video progress report. But there's not much to report since the editor has been on hold for the last few months.

Here's the video report.

I've been mostly making progress reports on the rFactor 2 forum thread. But I will also try to update this thread in the future. I have a live stream scheduled for tomorrow at 2:00 PM here.

I have updated the first post of this thread with new, up-to-date links.

Progress Report Time:
    This week was spent debugging a few quarks of the MFC framework that was causing the track editor to misbehave. The good news is that it was just a single line of code that mapped a message to a function that the track editor was never going to use. This line of code is placed there for every "MDI" project using the MFC framework. That single line of code (and the corresponding function) has been removed.

It pleases me to report some very good news concerning the compiler that I'm using. Visual Studio 2017 recently got an update that fixed a problem that forced me to use VS2015. So now I don't have to use two different compiler versions on this project. Oh, and I finally got the old version of the track editor working again after trying desperately to figure out what was wrong with the new version. It's coming to the point where I could just delete the old version and it wouldn't affect the project at all. I've kept it all this time more as a reference in case something goes wrong. But now, because the new version has all of the features of the old version, I almost don't need the old version anymore.

The API got a major update as well. There are now more functions and more options to configure. Plus there's a brief tutorial on how to use the API on the GitHub page. I also have been using NR2003 to test the API functionality and it appears to be working perfectly.

The Chapman Track Creator now has multi-threaded rendering implemented. That said, I'll be implementing a way for the track editor to update and send the generated mesh data over to the DLLs to be rendered. Now that the API seems to be working fairly well, I have been adding stuff to the UI to allow the user to change how the track is presented to them. Also on the topic of mesh generation, I've made a few changes to the event system that will make it easier for me to get the various objects to communicate with each other. I guess I should also implement a way for users to add stuff via the viewport now that the new rendering system is working. But first, I'm going to finish-up the mesh generator.