Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ATI and Nvidia

Quote Originally Posted by SCampbell View Post
    The 6850 and 6870 aren't even in the same ballpark...
    Say whaaaat?

AMD has released 13.1 WHQL driver. It fixes the ugly frame-time high latency for their Radeon cards.

Full report: http://techreport.com/news/24231/cat...rivers-are-out

Change Log (number based on AMD tests for HD7000 series cards):
    Enhanced performance in Far Cry 3 (up to 25% with 8xMSAA, SSAO enabled @ 1600p, and up to 15% with 8xMSAA, HDAO enabled @1600p) (AMD Catalyst 12.11 CAP2 must also be installed)
    Enhanced AMD CrossFire™ scaling performance in Call of Duty Black Ops 2
    Up to 10%-15% more performance in Battlefield 3 in most cases
    More than 20% in certain missions and sequences (Comrades)
    Up to 7% more performance in Metro 2033
    Up to 10% more performance in DiRT Showdown
    Up to 8% more performance in Sleeping Dogs
    Up to 12% more performance in Civilization V
    Up to 10% more performance in StarCraft II
    Up to 8% more performance in Sniper Elite: V2
    Up to 5% more performance in Max Payne 3

Quote Originally Posted by taufikp View Post
    AMD has released 13.1 WHQL driver. It fixes the ugly frame-time high latency for their Radeon cards.

Full report: http://techreport.com/news/24231/cat...rivers-are-out

Change Log (number based on AMD tests for HD7000 series cards):
    Enhanced performance in Far Cry 3 (up to 25% with 8xMSAA, SSAO enabled @ 1600p, and up to 15% with 8xMSAA, HDAO enabled @1600p) (AMD Catalyst 12.11 CAP2 must also be installed)
    Enhanced AMD CrossFire™ scaling performance in Call of Duty Black Ops 2
    Up to 10%-15% more performance in Battlefield 3 in most cases
    More than 20% in certain missions and sequences (Comrades)
    Up to 7% more performance in Metro 2033
    Up to 10% more performance in DiRT Showdown
    Up to 8% more performance in Sleeping Dogs
    Up to 12% more performance in Civilization V
    Up to 10% more performance in StarCraft II
    Up to 8% more performance in Sniper Elite: V2
    Up to 5% more performance in Max Payne 3
    Holy ****.....

Is this ON-TOP of the performance gains we have seen from the 12.11 beta drivers? or just that 13.1 is the "made official" drivers of 12.11 beta?
    Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to driving in the zone/flow

Most likely it will give you smoother animation (and possibly higher FPS as well), since the high frame-time latency is fixed now. As reported in my thread GeForce vs Radeon Captured In High Speed Video.

Edit:
    Oops sorry, this version (13.1 WHQL) does not include the latency fix yet. Get the 13.2 beta version instead, it contains the more important frame-time latency fix.

Quote Originally Posted by taufikp View Post
    Most likely it will give you smoother animation (and possibly higher FPS as well), since the high frame-time latency is fixed now. As reported in my thread GeForce vs Radeon Captured In High Speed Video.

Edit:
    Oops sorry, this version (13.1 WHQL) does not include the latency fix yet. Get the 13.2 beta version instead, it contains the more important frame-time latency fix.
    The so called 'latency fix' in the 13.2 beta only applies to the 3 DX9 based games that gave trouble in the TR test, the tweaks seem to be on a per application basis. There was already a rewrite of the software memory manager in the pipeline which was also going to address issues for DX10/11 games, seems it'll only apply to the 7000 series though.

If I recalled my memory correctly, AMD does planning to release CAP updates after fixing its driver's basic problem, to fix the frame-time latency per application. If this really is the case, then rFactor 2 will be in trouble, IMO, since AMD has no support for rF2 yet.

Tim has mentioned in the past that AMD has told them that rF2 was responsible for making things work with their drivers, not the other way around. This might change in the future, but we will have to wait and see.
    I don't know what I don't know, but I know EVERYTHING else!
    PC System Designer|Student of Graphic Design

Hi guys, need a hand, I was thinking about change my 6870 ... and don't know if I will buy AMD or Nvidia. I was always a user of Nvidia but I've decided to change sometime ago to AMD, I'm happy with the gfx performance but I heard a lot about the poor support of driver and the sttutering problems with AMD, is this going to change in future?
    Now this is my question, which has better price/performance AMD or Nvidia... and which is the best model?. Money is not a problem, but if I can spend less and have a better relation price/performance I'll go for it...
    What do you think?, 670?, 680?, 7870?, 7970?, 7990? ...

Stuttering is already solved with the beta 13.2 driver, there is already a thread about this in these forums.
    7870 is pretty good in the price/performance and so is 660 TI. But since you already got a 6870 I don't think it is worth to replace it with cards that are not that much faster. But if you say money is not a problem then why not go for the best?

When it comes to best bang for the buck, I always refer folks to toms hardware. They do unbiased reviews and the information that they provide is invaluable when it comes time to start shopping around.

In that regard, here is a link to what you are asking: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3107-6.html

BTW, if you actually read the review you will see that the monster GTX 690 performs like a pair of GTX 680's at about twice the cost. Given that information, if you have the slots available, it would be less expensive to get a pair of HD 7970's running in crossfire and you would have the same performance or more.
    I don't know what I don't know, but I know EVERYTHING else!
    PC System Designer|Student of Graphic Design