Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A few newbie questions

Hello,

I'm going to have to install Windows 7 on one of my computers, to replicate whats going on as Windows XP doesn't suffer from these issues. It's all to do with how Wndows 7 protects the programs in C drive.
    It'll take me a few hours, I'll probably answer you on Wednesday.

Thanks so much for your help Mango'

Out of desparation I clicked on something I found on my desktop called 'shortcut to rfactor' .....and it turned out to be my 'old' install with all the mods and tracks!!

So I suppose now that I can access this I'm back to square one and need to remove the tracks and mods which don't work, although as I mentioned originally the list of mods and tracks which don't work is changing all the time.

good to hear its back up and running.

Usually when a car or track doesnt work, is because something is missing like a shape or a texture or has a wrong file link. changing display settings from full to high, medium or low will be a tell tale sign. It should also say what the file is called whats missing when rfactor crashes because it cant find it.

Hi Mango,

Interesting. When it crashes it's usually seconds after I select a track and all I get is a 'beep' before the loading bar begins to fill. I don't usually get a message emplaining what's missing.

However..... occasionally the loading bar is half full before I get a message about textures missing. All I do it hit 'enter' and the bar continues to fill and the track works with no discernable problems!

I take it that now I need to add tracks on-by-one to rfactor lite? How should I do this?

Thanks again,
    Andy

When you hear the 'beep', does rF minimize to the desktop so you can see the error message? If not, hit Ctrl+Esc to force it to minimize. Usually it will be errors for missing textures and stuff like that. It is hard to track down these problems sometimes. You can turn on the trace log and get more hints on what you are missing too. I would follow your own advice and load a new fresh rF Lite install and add your tracks one at a time. Also, be sure to run rFactor as admin. Just right click on your rFactor shortcut and select properties. Then click the compatibility tab and then put a check in the run as admin box. The other option is to just disable UAC. To do that just click start, type UAC in the search box, then hit enter. Then drag the bar to the bottom and hit ok. rFactor likes to store settings (config.ini and UserData) in the Program Files directory which is off limits to non-admins. In XP most people ran on admin accounts so this wasn't a problem. On Vista/Win7/Win8 Microsoft forces all users (even admin accounts) to run without admin rights. This is what UAC is all about. It was a way to combat viruses but it creates a lot of confusion on older games.

I think Noel is better experienced to help you better then me 65GTO, as he uses Windows 7 and I use XP.
    I also dont know much about this rFactor lite, as I use the full version. If there are any specific tracks you desperately want to drive on but wont load, post a link to were you downloaded it, and let me know the circuit detail and texture detail setting. I wil try and download it and work out why it wont load for you.

I hope everything goes well for you now

Hi Noel, hi Mango'

Thanks for your help. Sadly I have a much bigger problem right now in that I bought a Fanatec Carrera wheel............................................. .....but rfactor can't 'see' the brake and clutch and the throttle doesn't work correctly!

I've posted something in the technical section, but until I can get them to work I can't really progress with getting the tracks and mods to run properly.

I'm not going to give up, by man is this all a giant pain in the proverbial!!!