Thread: Common startup issues

Common startup issues

Common rFactor startup issues :
    Keep in mind there are endless possibilities in system configurations. No one solution is going to work for every system and every issue.

A few things to check regarding known startup issues:

Most startup problems are antivirus, or firewall related. Startup problems include not being able to get past the player profile page.

Anti-Virus:

Disable Anti-Virus or exclude rFactor before running rFactor.
    - VET based antivirus is incompatible with rfactor so if you have this you would need to uninstall it.
    - Ensure that your antivirus/firewall software is not resetting some settings after an auto-update.
    - Add rfactor to your antivirus ignore list and your firewall allowed list (see their respective documentation for more details). If this does not resolve the issue, try disabling them (note that they can still blocked rfactor after being disabled since many don't fully disable, this is why it's important to add them to the aforementioned lists).

PC Clock
    Getting a white box error window "Program cannot display the webpage"?
    Check your system date.

Video:

- Using a video driver removal tool to remove the current video drivers and any file remnants then reinstalling the video driver.
    - Using a DirectX removal tool and reinstalling the latest version of DirectX.
    -Video Config Loops (starts over and over) uninstall rfactor, remove registry entries. Purchase rFactor.
    -If you have just re-installed rFactor, or replaced your video card, run rFconfig.exe
    Network:

- To ensure it’s not an intermittent networking issue, try running the game in single player mode by setting the Disable NetComm="1" in your player file.

Sound:-
    -If you have Nero CD/DVD burning software, try uninstalling it (it conflicts with the sound software).
    -Try starting rFactor with the +nosound option on the command line.

Controller:

- Try disconnecting your controller then running the game.

rFactor:

-Player File may have become corrupt. Rename you userdata folder and start rFactor.
    This should prompt you to create a new player.
    - if getting errors on start with new install, possible corrupted download.

- Previous use of a cracked .exe

Disabling Antivirus:

AVG:
    If you need to disable your AVG Anti-Virus program temporarily (e.g if you need to install some drivers for a new hardware ), itīs only needed to deactivate the AVG Resident Shield.

You can do it this way:

* run the AVG Control Center (Start -> Programs -> AVG 7.5 -> AVG Control Center)
    * double-click on the Resident Shield component
    * disable option Turn on AVG Resident Shield protection
    * save these settings using the OK button

Note: please donīt forget to activate the AVG Resident Shield component then because itīs an important part of the anti-virus control on your computer!

The procedure goes as follows:

* please run the AVG Control Center as mentioned above
    * select the Resident Shield component
    * click on the Activate button

McAfee:
    From http://service.mcafee.com/

Disable legacy McAfee VirusScan

1. Right-click on the McAfee icon by your system clock.
    2. Click VirusScan.
    3. Click Disable.
    4. A dialog box appears. Click Yes.
    5. The McAfee icon turns black in color until you enable VirusScan.

Enable legacy McAfee VirusScan

1. Right-click on the McAfee icon by your system clock.
    2. Click VirusScan.
    3. Click Enable.
    4. A dialog box appears. Click OK.
    5. The McAfee icon turns red in color.

avast!:

Right click on the Resident protection icon.
    Select "Stop on access protection"
    in the pop up window , select YES to disable.

Most antivirus software have similar interfaces to disable them.
    Last edited by Bee; 10-09-10 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Incomplete instructions for +nosound option

are there known issues with Comodo firewall on Win 7 64 bit? All of a sudden, i am getting the "cannot connect to web page screen when I try to start Rf, i fixed the system clock...updated bios, everything suggested here. Comodo has a window pop up sometime about running in "sandbox" mode, before, i would just click "skip" then rf would start, but now I am getting the cannot connect to web page screen..I am running Avira free AV also....

What you're describing here is typically different from common startup issues as this is related to the activation software which runs prior to rfactor startup. Follow the instructions in this thread here as well. There are more specific instructions there on deleting the trymedia folder, how to change the system clock (when rfactor is running), and running as administrator.

There were some problems with Sunbelt/Comodo about 3 years ago that caused some issues with the activation process, however an update by Comodo reportedly fixed the issue.

Additionally, I tested this extensively at that same time with numerous AV/FW software and also found that problems would arise when prior AV/FW software did not fully uninstalling itself, then installing other AV/FW after that (or the newer one installing an update) would create an unstable environment in some way (and thus the activation software would no longer be permitted to run).

The only other thing I can suggest is to fully uninstall the AV software, then the FW software and see if you still get the error (after deleting the trymedia folder). If it works fine with them uninstalled, install them one at a time to see which one is causing the issue.
    Please see the FAQ section for solutions to common issues

Well, apparently, my rfactor.exe was corrupted somehow, I copied the exe from another install, and now all is well, very very strange. Thanks for the help!!

Also make sure you don't rename the rfactor.exe
    Please see the FAQ section for solutions to common issues

It was not renamed, I have no idea why it happened, but I did notice the .exe from my Win 7 install was smaller than the one from my XP install. The XP .exe is 3.07 mb, the one from my Win 7 install was like 2.2 mb or something. Just copied and pasted the XP .exe over to Win 7 install, and now it is working well.