NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 515 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Infra-red vision in screens

Infra-red vision in screens

I searched the forum an didn't find this one, feel free to point out if it was.

I thought of this when trying to dock to the ring in the rescue mission and I got in the shade of the planet. Pitch black. I first missed the ship lights pointing to the docking port so that I could see where I was docking, but lights don't seem illuminating it.

I know you should be able to dock with instruments, with the HUD clues as the only hint, but I thought we are in an advanced and future enough to have infra-red vision available. I doesn´t make sense that viedo-screens let us see outside but only in the human eye range.

So my proposal is to extend the range to the infra-red spectre so that we don't need sunlight.

ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    This sort of thing is planned, yes. The first step was getting the VMS working properly so I can apply filters to it. I have a few ideas in mind; but feel free to share more if you have them.

Another couple ideas :

1) a "distance view" where the color of each pixel is function of the distance of the light source (basically a kind of z-buffer)
    2) a "redshift view" where the color of each pixel is function of the movement of the light source

Would be interesting to have a mode sensible to the wavelengths emited by the MES "exhaust fumes" that way enemy spaceship maneuvers could be detected by eye.
    Basically the Star would most likelly still be visible but the planets and stations would look dimmer and with different colors. Fumes would look like bright spots.

Personally, I'd settle for getting some decent maneuver lights hooked up on the station's exterior. Send some guys out with an extension cable and some klieg lights and light that sucker up.

Or they could hold flashlights; I'm not picky.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryss View Post
    1) a "distance view" where the color of each pixel is function of the distance of the light source (basically a kind of z-buffer)
    Not possible without multiple cameras (for parallax detection) and the effective resolution would be quite small, as your ship itself is small so the camera offset is likewise. It COULD do something with the LIDAR scanner though, but that would only help for items you target (which you already get rate-of-closure and distance information for). More reading here.

Good idea though, could maybe pull it off with a statement of some kind of as-yet-undiscovered optics processing? But handwaving and woo is something I personally would prefer be kept minimized.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryss View Post
    2) a "redshift view" where the color of each pixel is function of the movement of the light source
    This would work for sure, if the spectrum of the light is known (eg, the spectral lines for known stars). This might actually be a way to explain how your ship knows it's absolute velocity relative the local star system?
    Last edited by draeath; 06-25-16 at 01:26 PM. Reason: formatting hilarity
    Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!