NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 542 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Better ways to rendezvous

Lightbulb Better ways to rendezvous

Right now if I use KSP as an example the way you dock is you have to align your orbit with your target's orbit and either catch up to the target or slow down. I am wondering that if in Rogue System something like this will be implemented. Because I was trying the rescue mission and it was quite difficult to get to the target without its orbital data, I don't know if this was becuse the station was meant to be dark or whatever but it might be easier to know the target's orbital data.

There's going to be a sensor suite (re-)implemented soon. You'll be able to "see" targets beyond visual range.

As far as rendezvous goes, you kind of don't need 'proper' rendezvous techniques that modern spacecraft use (and what you need to use in KSP unless your rocket is horribly overpowered). Rogue System's engines are MUCH better than real-life, allowing you to more or less brute-force your way to matching speeds with the target.

Also you may be interested in some additions that Michael mentioned very recently that are going to help with rendezvous:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...l=1#post424766
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...l=1#post424806

Oh, and there's going to something like a network of 'registration and positioning satellites' that will let you see where other well-behaved ships and stations are in the system. One assumes one will be able to see proper orbital parameters for those objects.

Thanks

Hopefully I won't go off on a long ramble session here but I had some thoughts on the *current* implementation of the FireFox and its available sensor data as it has to do with approaching orbiting targets. Once we have the working sensor suite this may be obsolete/irrelevant:

As OP mentioned, we would 'normally' want to use known orbital data to then set our orbit lower/higher to reach close enough to our intended rendezvous target (like in KSP). However, in RogSys, at least for me, even if I know the station's orbital data (Ap/Pe) the issue becomes TIME. Right now we can't go faster than 5x time advance, which means depending on your situation, it might take a LONG TIME to simply approach the station the "traditional" way by drifting in our lower/higher orbits without the ability (currently) to say, time advance even faster than 5x, or "sleep" in chunks of 5 or 10 minutes instead of just 3 hrs (or simply set a timer for Pe or Ap). I know we'll be getting those "time management" features in future releases when Michael gets to them, but for now, I do think we have to kind of "brute force" our way using experience and guesses to reach our targets. OR maybe some of you guys are way more patient than me and can drift around at 5x time speed and rendezvous properly. Then again, depending on the game's mission time requirements (like the current rescue mission) we may have to employ the "brute force" method now and then (to save on "in-game" time).
    Can cantankerous cans candidly containing cancerous contaminants coexist considering conclusive conspiracies claim canning cantaloupes can cause comically concentric callouses?