NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 552 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: [VMS] - unique render layer for VMS symbology

[VMS] - unique render layer for VMS symbology

I've a suggestion for the VMS. This is under the assumption that the following path is what's actually happening: Camera + Symbology -> Buffer -> Projection Texture

It looks like the VMS symbology (nav symbols, trace brackets etc) are all rendered on top of the camera before being rendered to a texture target. This results in an appropriately blurred camera display, with in some cases illegible symbology. I suggest that these be separated out and drawn separately, the VMS as it's own texture alpha-blended with the camera one. This accomplishes a few things:

1. Potentially simplifies various filtering or render mechanisms (eg, thermal) - you no longer have to figure out how to keep the VMS data legible during image processing
    2. Allows VMS more fault modes, such as absent camera feed (or distorted/malfunctioning) yet with VMS symbols intact. Supports the concept of "instrument flight."
    3. The big one: allows VMS symbols to be drawn at a much higher resolution than current with minimal performance impact. One could keep the 'camera' texture resolution low but still be able to read the symbols.

I believe this is what's happening already with the orbital information display on the right - it appears overlaid on the VMS screen yet is obviously of a higher resolution than the rest of what goes on the VMS.

Also, I personally feel that a lower camera resolution (like we have now) a feature. It's camera data displayed on a screen, and it feels that way now. It's believable, and I don't think it would feel quite as much so if the resolution was cranked up.
    Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!

ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    Correct, only the trace brackets still use the old system and still need to be updated. All the other symbology has been updated, and now renders AFTER the outside camera buffer.