NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 551 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Shouldn't the Fuel Cell Bus Tie work on Emergency power?

Shouldn't the Fuel Cell Bus Tie work on Emergency power?

Hi,
    I'll double check tonight, but, I managed to accidentally undock without the LENR fusing and promptly ran out of battery juice running the RCS's..
    I tried to tie the running Fuel Cell's to the Bus's, but it didn't do anything...I expected to be able to charge the batteries and maybe get the LENR warmed up and started.

pretty much all panels were cold and dead ..

Anyway, I thought maybe the Fuel Cells should be able to feed the ECS when on emergency power

ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    If you can use the battery power to enable the fuel cells and RCM, pressurize the RCM, and get the fuel cells to min operation temperature, then yes, when you tie them they will feed.

If they were actually producing power at the time the batteries dies, then that is a bug, yes. Can you confirm power output when the ship went dark? Also, "pretty much all panels were cold and dead .." -- if you had emergency lighting in the ship, then you still had emergency power. Those lights run on emergency power only. When they go out, your ship is completely out of power....

will reproduce if I can tonight and get back to you

Hmm, I think maybe just my mis-understanding .... once Battery 1 power goes out, you no longer have RCM, and without RCM there's no way to enable Fuel Cells....
    I guess I thought of the fuel cells as an ...alternative power source to the LENR, which I suppose they are as long as you tie them to the system bus's before the batteries run dry!
    In my mind though, I thought the emergency bus would hold enough energy to run the fuel cells (which would mean also running the RCM) , which means you at least have a chance of charging the batterys.

I'll try tying battery 2 to sys bus 1 after battery 1 goes dead to see if I can then quickly get RCM back and the fuels cells engaged..

anyway, not a bug, just my misunderstanding of the bus's

Right. The fuel cells still need fuel and reactants, which currently come from RCM tanks. This won't be an issue when solar panels are added (sooner rather than later)--they will feed directly into the emergency bus, as well as recharge the batteries.

Nice one
    Ok, just to validate...I didn't realise you could feed the batteries to both sys bus's as well (like the bus tie in the fireArc), but, at least if you are an idiot like me and leave the station without LENR running, and 30 seconds later Battery 1 goes dry, you have about 1 or 2 minutes of life in Battery 2 to feed Both sys1 and sys2 and get the Fuel Cells switched on and tied, which then has just enough power to charge both batt's and get the LENR warmed up and on.

So, as an emergency procedure (perhaps LENR problems), if Batt 1 goes dry, but batt 2 still has charge:

1) set Batt 2 to Sys 1 and 2
    2) power back on RCM (tanks still pressurized)
    3) power back on Fuel Cell 1 (fuel cell 2 still on)
    4) re-validate tank for Fuel Cell 1 and 2
    5) tie Fuel Cell 1 and 2 to sys1 and 2 respectively
    6)* trigger beacon

Yes, exactly that procedure.

When the batteries are fully charged, there is enough power to do an accelerated cold start. So if they are managed well there's no reason you can't get the fuel cells up and running when things go wrong

Love this game XD

I played around a bit with the bus tie-ins last night. I too found out that FCS needs to have some sort of power available before it can start reaction and produce power, and if the batteries are switched off (or dead), things don't work out so well. Very interesting to play with the power system to see just how they work together. I will try a few more things tonight and see what system works off each other.
    Can cantankerous cans candidly containing cancerous contaminants coexist considering conclusive conspiracies claim canning cantaloupes can cause comically concentric callouses?