NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 431 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultrawide single or triples?

I had 3 screen setup probably before this tool came out so I calculated correct FOV (and setting side monitors at correct angles) by myself and just set that in the sim.
    If the tool makes all the neccessary corrections, then great. Enjoy and as you said - it's "naturally awesome" but you would be missing it, if you go back to 1 monitor
    The rig: Win 7 x64 Pro; Intel i3 540; Intel DH57JG; G.Skill 2x4GB; MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB; be quiet! Straight Power CM 600W; 2x Dell 22" U2209WA + 1x Dell 22" P2210; The gear: T500 RS + CSPv2;

Having used both solutions and still owning a 21:9 50" panel I can say that the gain you will experience in your peripheral view from these "ultrawide" screens is pretty marginal even when comparing it to regular 16:9. And certainly nothing even remotely comparable to that of proper triple screens, regardless of its actual dimensions.

Another thing to consider when talking about those extra wide screens is the hit you'll end up taking regarding your vertical field of view which will be much lower, therefore causing an even bigger impact in your whole experience than the small gains you'd think you'd get horizontally.

I see iRacing is getting nvidia's SMP
    (Simultaneous Multi-Projection) this is the fix for triple screens performance, it's probably only directx 11 though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6NbyEmPalA

imho SMP is what ISI called multi-view which has been in rF2 from the beginning. it can be done in directx9 like our sim shows. only downside is the performance hit it takes. But hardware is getting to a point where performance isn't an issue anymore for the games we play today. The games from the future (we don't call it rF3 ) Will stretch the hardware of today again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    imho SMP is what ISI called multi-view which has been in rF2 from the beginning. it can be done in directx9 like our sim shows. only downside is the performance hit it takes. But hardware is getting to a point where performance isn't an issue anymore for the games we play today. The games from the future (we don't call it rF3 ) Will stretch the hardware of today again.
    SMP is not multi-view as such, did you see the video, basically you can have as many as 16 projections from one viewpoint with no loss in performance, so for us triple screen user that could be as high as a 30% increase in performance.

I think we have a language issue here Cookie. We don't dissagree. All i wanted to say was: rendering multiple images isn't new, hence my talk about isi doing it with multi view. What is new is the hardware becoming capable of doing it without the need of using multiple gpu's but with only one and not loosing on performance. I hope my cracky English was good enough to explain what i mean

And yes i've seen the video [emoji6]

All's good Eddy, iRacing is getting the update today we should be able to turn off render three screens separately and let SMP do it's stuff, then see what the real world performance gain is.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellySkidmark View Post
    I got a Acer Predator X34 about a month ago and love it. I've got a GTX770 with almost everything on max and it runs great. It's a GSync panel and was very expensive. My FPS are way down on what I used to get with a 32" TV 1920x1080 @ 60Hz, about 80 - 100FPS, now I have a much higher resolution 3440x1440 @ 95Hz I get maybe 40 -70 FPS but I never notice when the frames drop, and everything is much nicer to look at. I have it less than an arms length away from my face so it's very clear.
    There's a great comparison site to check your how your monitor compares with similar models, here's mine ... http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/...edator_x34.htm

SS
    Hi SmellySkidmark, just saw you upgraded your GTX 770 to 980, can you tell us about your gains in rF2 @3440x1440? I have exactly the same card and i'm desperate to know from a owner how it was. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Santos View Post
    Hi SmellySkidmark, just saw you upgraded your GTX 770 to 980, can you tell us about your gains in rF2 @3440x1440? I have exactly the same card and i'm desperate to know from a owner how it was. Thanks!
    Hi Rui, I just sent you a reply PM, here's a copy for anyone else that may be interested.. or not :B

Hi mate, yes I still have the x34, great screen.
    I've upgraded the GTX770 to a GTX980 4gig, and I've gotta say I was a bit disappointed at the level of increase I got grafix upgrade. The 980 had a very small increase over the 770, I think I turned up the AA to 8x from 4x & Texture Filtering from 8x to 16x & Shadows from Medium to High. I still get about the same framerates at around 60 to over 120, depending on the track. I'll just check what I get at Silverstone ... Ok 87 in pit lane, 91 on the start/finish line and up to 132 ontrack.
    Anyway my thoughts on the screen, it's chalk & cheese really, I had a 32" TV @60Hz 1920x1080, so this is a massive improvement, the clarity of 3440x1440 @95Hz is amazing, I know it's also a faster refresh rate at like 4ms too so I would have to say that my overall driving has improved from the immersion and high detail.

I did struggle to get the best drivers for the card and ended up using a benchtest site for speed results.
    Here's the results with the 770 before the upgrade ... http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1382919
    Here's 980 after with driver test complete ... http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1387712
    I think you'll need to check yours aswell as the newest driver for me was SLOWER.
    Let me know how you go with the drivers.

SS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12