NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 548 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Temperature in Celsius

Temperature in Celsius

Can we have an option to select between Celsius and Fahrenheit for displayed temperatures? Some people don't use Fahrenheit.

ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    planned, yes

Yay!

Actually there's only 5 countries using Fahrenheit. Same countries that don't use metric system

Quote Originally Posted by magicfr View Post
    Actually there's only 5 countries using Fahrenheit. Same countries that don't use metric system
    <sarcasm mode ON> Because it's SOOO much more complicated, don't you know <sarcasm mode OFF>

Yeah, Physics coding is ""TOO"" simple using Metric system let's measure with foots and inches

I have a weird and stupid request.

If we're going to support Fahrenheit and Celsius, can we also extend this to support Kelvin and Rankine? I'd think these units would fit the setting and contexts more appropriately than C or F.

The quick and dirty for those unfamiliar is that they are based off of 0 = absolute zero (eg, no thermal energy whatsoever). They tend to be used more often in the contexts of astrophysics and high energy science (like fusion reactors), as well as cryogenic stuff (basically the opposite of high energy science). One might say Kelvin/Rankine are to Celsius/Farenheit as Metric is to Imperial...

In all cases implementation shouldn't be too difficult. Use a sane measurement in the backend, and just use a public method/function to convert from that to the desired display unit based on a preference setting somewhere... or even better allow dynamic selection within the ship's interface! Similar to how some aircraft allow the pilot to change the display unit used in the HUD - the A-10C for example allows meters/feet to be configured when the IFFCC switch is in the TEST position, using the up-front controller).
    Last edited by draeath; 03-14-16 at 07:06 PM.
    Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!

Quote Originally Posted by draeath View Post
    I have a weird and stupid request.

If we're going to support Fahrenheit and Celsius, can we also extend this to support Kelvin and Rankine? .
    You're not alone, I almost suggested the same thing (at least with Kelvin scale), but I thought that I was the only one who wants something like that, fortunately I was mistaken
    Last edited by Psypher; 03-14-16 at 01:48 PM. Reason: revised
    I apologize in advance for any grammatical error or misuse of words, unfortunately my english is not good, but I've been working to improve it. Thank you all.

Kelvin would probably make more sense in a spacecraft.

You're much more likely to have to deal with temperature ranges way outside than those of Earth biomes(Fahrenheit) or water(Celsius), after all...

I'm not so familiar with psi either. Pascal or bar would make a lot more sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hungmanmoojoo View Post
    I'm not so familiar with psi either. Pascal or bar would make a lot more sense to me.
    noted

1 bar = ~14.5 psi (pounds per square inch) if that helps for now.

So the coolant lines are running at around ~6.9 bars (100 PSI) when you're following the Start-up tutorial, for the TMS portion. Totally "safe" to stand next to them (assuming one would be curious enough to) haha.
    Can cantankerous cans candidly containing cancerous contaminants coexist considering conclusive conspiracies claim canning cantaloupes can cause comically concentric callouses?

Do NASA use metric system?

They do since about 2007 or so, mostly due to their partnership with other space agencies I think.

Quote Originally Posted by hungmanmoojoo View Post
    Iirc Pascal is the SI unit

I vote for barye (1 dyne/cm^2). cgs for the win.