NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 610 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Real-Life Seat Console

Question Real-Life Seat Console

Hey, I didnt even buy the game but I definitely will when I have the money next month.
    I only saw videos on youtube, but these lead me directly to the idea of rebuilding the console with buttons and rotary switches and an Arduino.
    This is why i registered myself in here, to ask a dev if the code will be open enough to do so.
    I only ask for an input into the game, not for an output out of the game. Self-re-setting switches would be nice though, but would make the cablework such more complicated.
    Didnt find anything similar to this in the search.
    Thanks in advance

There is a USB gamepad/joystick module you can attach your own axes and buttons to (from Germany, I'm afraid they don't ship internationally): http://r.ebay.com/UkGMRF

Well, I am from Germany, so there wont be a problem. Thank you very much, this helps me a lot. This is exactly what i'm looking for.
    If it would be a real IO for any switch, that would be incredibly nice. (So that the arduino knows if a button is pressed in a certain state or not. One could realize that cheaply with a LED over/in that particular button, because I only found switches wich kill themselves without re-setting em up again - like this, the problem with the batteries i guess? to the left could be solved, wich results because of the rotary switch for example: You turn the rotary switch, the buttons go off, you turn it to the first state, the buttons turn on again, I guess you know what I mean.)
    But rayx suggestion would also work for the start.
    Thank you very much, guys. Cant wait to start with everything

This should help you out software-side. Mouser and Digikey are good places to get knobs, switches, and so on. Not sure about their international shipping, though.

I'd look around locally for a hackerspace or makerspace
    Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!

Sounds like a great idea. I am interested in this as well but that will be far in the future for me. But if you do get started on that project post some videos of your progress!

BTW, those guys also have a version for buttons only (21). I didn't find it on eBay but I know they have it. You'd probably have to contact them.

So this might be a dumb question but forgive me I am used to Console sims like Birds of Steel and this is my first full on computer sim. I am thinking of a "simple" cockpit idea of using my Hotas(already using for throttle and steering) and buying a split keyboard. Then mapping most of the switches and dials to the keyboard(eliminating most of the mouse clicks) and just putting appropriate stickers on the buttons I have mapped. Would this work for a simple cockpit? Basically allow me to shy away from buying a bunch of Saitek panels or other specialty panels.