NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 644 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: How Big Is The Sim? In Term Of Map Size (Comparing to Elite:Dangerous Horizons)

How Big Is The Sim? In Term Of Map Size (Comparing to Elite:Dangerous Horizons)

I'm just curious as to how big the whole game is, I want to know if there are planetary landings, factions/mini factions, random generation of planets, galaxies, super nova's, black holes, and so on.

http://www.exploreuniverse.com/ic/glossary.html

-At the moment it spans one realistically sized solar system. And as far as I understand it, most of the initial game will also play out on that scale. Interstellar travel won't be a thing in the core module but might come up later on.

-Planetary landings are not implemented and aren't a priority, largely because the core module won't include any ships that are capable of atmospheric flight and the game's primary focus is spaceflight.

-There will be at least two factions from what is known about the plot so far.

-I think the planet surfaces are randomly generated but the planet types, sizes and positions are fixed. Anything beyond the "Rogue System" itself might come later on, so don't expect anything that couldn't typically be found in a solar system, like black holes, in the core module release.

All that said, the developer is currently working on the "Core Module", which will focus on detailed ship system simulation, interplanetary space combat on a realistic scale and a military campaign. Once these major design aspects are realized, there are many features that the developer would like to implement in subsequent modules. This includes more open ended gameplay and non-military occupations like trading.
    Elite is a very different game, and thus has a different scale on which it is played. As said before, Rogue System's focus is the ship system management and comparatively realistic spaceflight simulation. There are many posts containing information on planned features and their priorities on this forum that explain in more detail what the game is about.

For a brilliant and detailed portrayal of astronomic objects but no gameplay, I suggest looking at Space Engine.

ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    As Devastian notes: things are limited to one realistically scaled star system (based on our star system's scale), and the core module gameplay will take place within this system (or one like it). If I could increase the team size there are a few missions that would take you outside the solar system; but being just myself at the moment I have to keep goals realistic.

All that said, code is already in place for multiple star systems, and there IS a galaxy generator that can create new galaxy data.

-I think the planet surfaces are randomly generated but the planet types, sizes and positions are fixed
    This is not quite correct--the positions of all celestial bodies are NOT fixed. Everything follows proper orbital trajectories. Some planets far out away from their star can, literally, take hundreds of years to complete their orbit. Orbits are not faked--Rogue System uses an n-body gravitational system (up to three bodies per object currently) and orbits are updated every frame.

Especially since I'm working pretty much on my own right now, I have to proceed logically and thoughtfully. I KNOW I can't do everything I want all at once. Even huge teams that try to do too much at once can fail; so, even if I had a few more team members the scope of the core module wouldn't increase much. This is the reason for the expansion modules--to add the other things I want in manageable layers. The primary gameplay of Rogue System's Core Module centers around the pilot and ship, and how they interact with each other. To that end, ship system functionality, pilot reaction, and a realistically functioning environment (proper orbital mechanics) is key; and so that's what the majority of my time has been spent on thus far. With the current round of ship system functionality revisions, and the first of the three flyable ships coming online, development will soon start to transition to developing the gameplay in which you'll find yourself operating.

Kind of weird comparing it to ED, honestly. RS seem to be more like the "Orbiter with battles and missions" type, which is a hugely overlooked concept.

Also, why not ditch the whole "another solar system" idea from the start and just go with our own system instead? If the light speed barrier is impenetrable, chances are we're never leaving the system anyway. That would also make the sim more realistic and easier to populate with all the assets.

I always dreamt of an orbiter with battles (and so far way better design), and the idea of another system is also cool, you should check out the background story of the game Michael posted in the website.

it is all explained in the full back story of the game : http://imagespaceinc.com/rogsys/p/backstory/

Quote Originally Posted by EasyDriver View Post
    Kind of weird comparing it to ED, honestly. RS seem to be more like the "Orbiter with battles and missions" type, which is a hugely overlooked concept.

Also, why not ditch the whole "another solar system" idea from the start and just go with our own system instead? If the light speed barrier is impenetrable, chances are we're never leaving the system anyway. That would also make the sim more realistic and easier to populate with all the assets.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyDriver View Post

that is quite interesting. and a familiar playground to fly through.
    i7 920@4.2GHz, 12Gig ram, GTX 780Ti, 3 monitor set-up 5760x1080