Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on buying a new PC for rF2

Advice on buying a new PC for rF2

Hello guys, i have a laptop that i use for my studies and also for play. But now i would love to have another PC only for playing rFactor 2.
    The problem is don't have many knowledge in computers, so i would love to have some advice on a new pc.
    The PC need to be build when i receive it and i also need a new screen, mouse keyboard.
    I can't put too much (big maximum 800euros).
    Thanks in advance!

I don't know EU shops but this is a touch more then 800 I think.

I would spend 200 more and add a GTX970 and up to 600watt PSU would be perfect.

P.S. If you got the GTX970 allow a little more for tower.

Steam specific computers are available and begin around $500 usd. If you were to go that route I would suggest getting a monitor, mouse etc and what ever is left in your budget spend on the PC. Upgrade in video card and memory is money well spent.

Buy a cheap name brand mouse & keyboard (logitech for example) their just for pressing buttons and clicking on things - basic and simple will do the job. Get a good size monitor, there are good 27 inch 1080P monitors on the market. A small monitor (22") may be bigger than the laptop screen - but it won't take long before that starts to feel too small.

I would recommend a quality PSU (power supply) that exceeds the specifications of whatever video card you choose - going for something that is just adequate means in the future any upgrade of the video card (because we always want MORE POWER - we are racers after all) will also mean a PSU upgrade - basically wasting the money you spent originally. A good 750w or 850w PSU now will save you money later.

Depending on where you live - how hot the climate is - you probably don't need an after market CPU cooler. The stock heatsink & fans are good enough if you aren't overclocking the CPU. Save some money there. My last build (i7-970) used the stock cpu cooler for 5 years, and I live in Australia, with absolutely no problems at all.

How you fit a 750-850w PSU with 800 euros

...........and what is it going to run. lol

edit:

600.00 GBP = 800.00 EU = 1,262.32 AUD

Funny seems I build a better system here then the one above I specced for 590 quid and even though our dollars sucks.

edit: lol
    ah no its about the same can't build GTX970 for $1300 without skimping a little.
    Last edited by DurgeDriven; 01-19-16 at 08:03 PM.

Wired keyboard and mouse for 20 bucks, make every effort to get that 970.

Mate, I go over budget every build. I learned a long time ago that the PSU is probably the most important component in the case. Everything depends on it performing perfectly all the time. Put money into critical components, they will last a virtual lifetime. My current 750w Corsair is now 6 years old and has done stellar service with 3 video card upgrades as well as 2 complete builds. It's worth every cent of the AU299 I paid for it originally. It's just my personal bit of advice to ANYONE building a targeted PC, in this case a dedicated sim rig.

Quote Originally Posted by DurgeDriven View Post
    How you fit a 750-850w PSU with 800 euros

...........and what is it going to run. lol

edit:

600.00 GBP = 800.00 EU = 1,262.32 AUD

Funny seems I build a better system here then the one above I specced for 590 quid and even though our dollars sucks.

edit: lol
    ah no its about the same can't build GTX970 for $1300 without skimping a little.

Try to buy some of combo offers. You can save 10-20% by doing that, just make sure, there are reasonable quality components included.
    Scawen: "It MUST be optimized as a racing simulator, not a screen shot generator."

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Mate, I go over budget every build. I learned a long time ago that the PSU is probably the most important component in the case. Everything depends on it performing perfectly all the time. Put money into critical components, they will last a virtual lifetime. My current 750w Corsair is now 6 years old and has done stellar service with 3 video card upgrades as well as 2 complete builds. It's worth every cent of the AU299 I paid for it originally. It's just my personal bit of advice to ANYONE building a targeted PC, in this case a dedicated sim rig.
    I know I was only being practical ( 800 euros ) and funny ( about what GPU for 750watts you buy with 800 euro ) hehehe ....... .anyways

I did say add 200 euro and buy a GTX970 and a better PSU.

Course I know about quality, my Seasonic 700M is so old I forget, still runs a GTX970 G1 fine.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article676-page5.html
    Last edited by DurgeDriven; 01-21-16 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kimikaze View Post
    Try to buy some of combo offers. You can save 10-20% by doing that, just make sure, there are reasonable quality components included.
    Sorry I never even read it properly. ...doh

Build cost + Delivery + Monitor + Keyboard/Mouse + Operating System puts a big hole in 800.

http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/d4sLt6

Even that still needs Build, Delivery, OS, speakers/headphones and maybe DVD.

I run something like this

AMD FX-6 Six Core 6300 Processor (mine is earlier 6100)

8GB DDR3 1600Mhz Memory

Radeon R7 370 2GB GDDR5

2TB SATA Hard Drive

SanDisk 120GB Solid State Drive

Novatech ATX Gaming Case

22x DVD Writer

Novatech PowerStation 500W PSU (Non Modular)

GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P

Its been good. You will need a screen!

But at £500 there is probably room in your budget.

Oops i thought i answered.
    And with such pc settings, how you're running rF2?
    I've heard from some than it's more important to have a good CPU than a good GPU. Is it true?

So AMD 6350/ R9 380 OR I5 4460 with a GPU ? What would you advice me?
    Thanks in advance

More important, I wouldn´t say so. More important than for other sims: yes.
    On the graphical side you need more power per eye-candy in rF2.
    So if you can effort this, get you an i5 + good GFX (go Nvidia), but this AMD 6-core will do it too...

Ok ok, i think i will go for a I5 4460 & GTX 960 (or 970 if the money allow it ^^ ).
    Thanks for the advices

New GTX 1000 series nvidia gpu's coming out very soon. Might be worth waiting a little?
    Guide: Optimal FFB settings for rFactor 2 - The key to driving in the zone/flow

Quote Originally Posted by DrR1pper View Post
    New GTX 1000 series nvidia gpu's coming out very soon. Might be worth waiting a little?
    I'm really hoping ISI get access to the new projection methods as well, circumventing multiview as it were, including a vastly minimized performance impact (I saw 40%-60%) No more need for SLI and dialing down options when using multiview?

DrR1pper: Yes but i'm sure those cards will be higher price?
    But if they down the GTX 970 & GTX 960 prices, yes i should wait.

1070 will be no braíner.. the buck per FPS ratio will be unheard of according to everything that has been said.. almost the worst possible time to buy new GPU right now... wait for 1070 and get 1070

Yes but has prices estimation been announced? I don 't have unlimited budget sadly lol.

1070 is announced for 379USD, shortly after its release there will be factory overclocked pieces (with warranty on overclocked card and imporved cooler) and those will be roughly between 450-550 USD i reckon

But since you dont have virtually anything (not even case, screen, periherals) you will struggle to fit that one in, but man, trust me, i think it would be silly not to get it, save an extra 100 euros and you will be able to enjoy the reference 1070, mid-end CPU with low end Motherboard..

Things would be easier if you could build it yourself... its rather easy, you will find endless list of videos how to on youtube. Everythink essentially just clicks in...All you need is an HDD/SSD or combo of both, 8GB RAM, mid-end i7/i5 CPU, GTX 1070, case with power supply 450-600W, crappy keyboard with crappy mouse and minimum of 24" screen with minimum of 1080p resolution (Admitably, 1070 is an overkill for 1080 so i would more recommend 1440p with high refresh rate but the price goes up quickly with screens)
    Last edited by MikeeCZ; 05-09-16 at 02:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast