Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Random ideas and suggestions post

  1. #1
    Registered SpaceTrucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    100

    Random ideas and suggestions post

    I searched and found nothing on this idea so am starting a new thread.If possible Micheal can you sticky this thread that allows just quick random thoughts to be posted without having to start a new thread?I would feel better knowing I am not clogging up the forums.

    For communication its the usual press TAB and then choices pop up scenario.Since RS wants to strive for realism I think a real button you press would be good for sending messages and possibly on the comms screen itself.Click on comms then click on the channel you wanna use wherein a button on bottom of the comms screen appears.You press this button and the TAB comms menu appears but instead of in upper left of screen its overlaid on top of the comms screen and allows you to use the mouse to choose the choices.

    One other thing is an actual HOTAS.Being that HOTAS became the norm on planes for a reason I think this should also adapt to space ships.When flying towards an objective and you wanna switch to the deflector you need to look down to the buttons and I think this should be on a HOTAS.

  2. #2
    ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,492
    Sure, I'll give this a stick...
    __________________
    "There is no spoon..."

  3. #3
    Registered SpaceTrucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    100
    Great thanks.

  4. #4
    Newer Member bluephoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceTrucker View Post
    I searched and found nothing on this idea so am starting a new thread.If possible Micheal can you sticky this thread that allows just quick random thoughts to be posted without having to start a new thread?I would feel better knowing I am not clogging up the forums.

    For communication its the usual press TAB and then choices pop up scenario.Since RS wants to strive for realism I think a real button you press would be good for sending messages and possibly on the comms screen itself.Click on comms then click on the channel you wanna use wherein a button on bottom of the comms screen appears.You press this button and the TAB comms menu appears but instead of in upper left of screen its overlaid on top of the comms screen and allows you to use the mouse to choose the choices.

    One other thing is an actual HOTAS.Being that HOTAS became the norm on planes for a reason I think this should also adapt to space ships.When flying towards an objective and you wanna switch to the deflector you need to look down to the buttons and I think this should be on a HOTAS.
    HOTAS sounds great, but how would you go about implementing it? I mean, isn't it more dependent on the users input devices ( joystick, keyboard etc) and whether or not they have easily accessible keys? In fights, you would certainly use hotkeys on the keyboard or the joystick instead of hunting for the buttons with your mouse.
    Or do you mean placing the most used buttons (e.g boost deflector) on a new, easily accessible panel near the VMS, so you don't have to look all the way to the left for it? Because that's a great idea, it would certainly make the game more immersive.

  5. #5
    Registered SpaceTrucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    100
    I was thinking more for the ship model in game.If you notice in the firearc we have no buttons for the translastional thrusters which could be buttons on the throttle etc.You have a HOTAS its great as you can bind these controls but keyboard works just fine.

  6. #6
    Registered draeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    361
    Consider the pit we have currently as more of a stand-in prototype. Good point, that there are no apparent controls on the two "sticks," but MJ's noted in other threads he'd like to take notes on such things and fix them later with the proper ships, instead of reworking prototype art.

    This is true for many things - there's no weapon trigger that I was able to see anywhere. Presumably the HMD is a touch-screen device (based on the styling, but also because there's no visible cursor controls) so that stuff is OK, but the rest is laid out more like an airliner instead of a precision flying craft. That said, it is a repurposed shuttle, so that's probably not too far off the mark.

    (SpaceTrucker's point seems to be that the pilot (not the player) would have to remove a hand from the controls to toggle the deflector)

  7. #7
    Registered SpaceTrucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    100
    Yes Draeth,deflector,translation thrusters,pitch and roll,weapons select etc on controls.I was thinking though that maybe the throttle could be taken out of combat mode.When you put the MTS system into combat mode I think that using your fore translation thruster tied to the rear thruster would work better.Throttle would still be important for other modes.All said Micheal is the deciding factor on how the ships behave and control and thats in good hands.

  8. #8
    Registered SpaceTrucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    100
    Just a random thought I had today.Will space combat be all about very light ships to keep maneuverability up or I wonder would space combat ships be very heavily armored instead.Space battles I think play out less about getting on the tail of the enemy and more about boom and zooming.Think the zero,lightly armored and highly maneuverable compared to P47,highly armored flying tank.The zero was the answer and then the allies come into the mix with huge highly armored tanks and we all know how that went.

  9. #9
    New Member Hadrien Dubosq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    4
    hi

    -tablet companion and a option to replace the hard monted display. I think that can be awsome.
    whith an app like Roccat it is esay to give a command. But it's impossible to have information from the game.
    i imagine that could replace all the side-butons in game by tablet and phone conected by wifi.
    yes i m dreaming but i think it will be very versatile

    -acceleration on the hud (not only the relative speed).

    -a shortcut to focus the HMD,to center the view,to focus left and right side table of button.

    -an autopilot: match velocity whit target who use translation.


    thank you again for what you do. it s awsome.

  10. #10
    New Member RzTen1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3
    I was playing around with breaking things and I ran both the batteries completely flat. It occurred to me it might be interesting if you could manually open the fuel shut off for the fuel cells, since when you've killed both batteries there really isn't any way to power back up. Maybe there could be a panel or something you could open elsewhere in the ship. I'm not sure how well that'd work since the pumps also need power, but since I imagine the tanks are pressurized many some sort of minimal flow could at least give the ship enough juice to restart the pumps.

  11. #11
    Registered Nemises's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    219
    Michaels definitely mentioned basic maintenance options both internally AND externally to the ship are planned.
    Having said that, I believe there are emergency backup batteries in place (hence the emergency lights on the ship when there are no batteries, power bus or maintenance power on).
    I dare say these could be used to tie into whatever bus powers the fuel cell cutoff mechanism?...but yeah, a manual cutoff would also make a lot of sence

  12. #12
    New Member Sharkeem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3
    Hello everybody!

    One question I had: Was it ever mentioned if certain things on your ship necessitate leaving the pilot seat? Particularly since manual valves were mentioned with the fuel cut-off, this would be interesting... Of course a one-person ship would be designed to handle everything from the pilot seat, but when systems fail or batteries run empty, it would be interesting to run to the back of the ship to try to get MTS back online before crashing into that planet...

    Relating to this, I was also wondering about SAN. In my mind SAN is a thing more suited to a "cryochamber" or similar device, and a pilot seat like the one in the firearc certainly seems to not include that functionality. It would be cool if, again, you had to go to the back of the ship and enter the SAN-pod there. Particularly if an emergency wakes you up and you try to race to the cockpit to figure out where that collision alert is coming from Maybe there would also be the possibility that "emergency wake-ups" are rather hurried, and leave you with blurred vision or similar problems for a few minutes...

    Just a few ideas...

  13. #13
    ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkeem View Post
    Was it ever mentioned if certain things on your ship necessitate leaving the pilot seat?
    As someone who doesn't like needless "fluff", the best way I could answer this is to say that I wouldn't have put in an FPS mode if there wasn't a need to leave your seat
    __________________
    "There is no spoon..."

  14. #14
    Registered Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Germany, Hamburg
    Posts
    277
    At the latest when Maverick Module is introduced, you will have to leave the seat in order to conquer another ship or defending people which try to conquer your ship. (Is "conquer" the right word for taking control of an enemy ship?)

  15. #15
    Newer Member Kabouik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    25
    This will be very immersive, stressful in case of emergencies, deep, and the experience will be very different between one-man ships and multi-crew ships. Can't wait!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    At the latest when Maverick Module is introduced, you will have to leave the seat in order to conquer another ship or defending people which try to conquer your ship. (Is "conquer" the right word for taking control of an enemy ship?)
    This is for the FPS expansion pack if I remember well, not necessarily for Maverick. By the way, I am so eagerly looking forward to experiencing the Maverick + Multiplayer combination. It's off-topic, but I'm so eager that I just have to say it, even out of the blue. Now give me my pills.

  16. #16
    Registered Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Germany, Hamburg
    Posts
    277
    Oh your are right, confused the planned expansion modules.

  17. #17
    Registered SpaceTrucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    100
    Please Michael,give us a music player in cockpit that we can add our own mp3's into a folder.Space trucking screams for music blasting in the background as long distance space travel can wear on the mind,even with SANS system installed.

  18. #18
    Registered draeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    361
    I'm for that really, only if the audio was positional. Else, why not just play it through your system?

    But, it would be something else entirely to have it blaring from the cockpit while you're digging around out back.

  19. #19
    Registered Raistlen007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by draeath View Post
    I'm for that really, only if the audio was positional. Else, why not just play it through your system?

    But, it would be something else entirely to have it blaring from the cockpit while you're digging around out back.
    Or maybe an excuse to implement a PA system? Wouldn't be useful until the multiplayer module, though.
    -Rasi

  20. #20
    Registered Vantskruv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkeem View Post
    Hello everybody!

    One question I had: Was it ever mentioned if certain things on your ship necessitate leaving the pilot seat? Particularly since manual valves were mentioned with the fuel cut-off, this would be interesting... Of course a one-person ship would be designed to handle everything from the pilot seat, but when systems fail or batteries run empty, it would be interesting to run to the back of the ship to try to get MTS back online before crashing into that planet...

    Relating to this, I was also wondering about SAN. In my mind SAN is a thing more suited to a "cryochamber" or similar device, and a pilot seat like the one in the firearc certainly seems to not include that functionality. It would be cool if, again, you had to go to the back of the ship and enter the SAN-pod there. Particularly if an emergency wakes you up and you try to race to the cockpit to figure out where that collision alert is coming from Maybe there would also be the possibility that "emergency wake-ups" are rather hurried, and leave you with blurred vision or similar problems for a few minutes...

    Just a few ideas...

    The cryochamber idea is very good indeed! I've though about it too. Though I think the FireArc is too small for something like that, as cryochambers may take quite much place. I think the FireArc should be more used for locally transport between spacestations around one planet, i.e. engineer team for spacestation services locally.

    It would be cool to have a bigger ship made for longer transportations, which can hold smaller fighter and service aircraft.

    I.e. an uprising is on the merge, or pirates is frequently seen around, at a moon or planet. And the forces need to transport there way to that body with the small mothership holding i.e. maximum of 4 fighterships and a small service drone. You have only limited tools and resources on the mothership.

    Hmm, I think Michael needs help with some 3D artists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •