Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Random ideas and suggestions post

Not sure if this was already discussed. Possibly, so just a quick question in the random thread:

Will procedure checklists be ingame eventually?

ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    I would like them to be, yes.

That's good to know. Would be great for immersion

Oh! I just accidentally found out that there *is* a mouse sensitivity control. That should really go under Controls Options, not Gameplay.

Music

I love the loneliness in space feel, the space game I have been waiting for. The one thing I feel is missing based on my fantasies, is music playing. Now I know I can boot up something and play it alongside the game, but I would love to hear it in environment, lonely music bouncing of the cold hull. Just a quick idea for the scratch book. A way for the game to play files we have in a folder through ship speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I love the loneliness in space feel, the space game I have been waiting for. The one thing I feel is missing based on my fantasies, is music playing. Now I know I can boot up something and play it alongside the game, but I would love to hear it in environment, lonely music bouncing of the cold hull. Just a quick idea for the scratch book. A way for the game to play files we have in a folder through ship speakers.
    Surprise! Music playing is already supported over the COMS system. Don't remember the frequencies you have to set but you may take a look at the change log of the last update.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    Surprise! Music playing is already supported over the COMS system. Don't remember the frequencies you have to set but you may take a look at the change log of the last update.
    Took me awhile to find the option (Update 3 I think it was). But awesome, not exactly what I was thinking but on the right path. Its a radio station broadcast from the station, not playing from the ship. But as I left the moon, it got more eerie and weaker. Which really brought on the loneliness. Now we need a less angelic music selection.

ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    I WANT to allow you to play MP3's from a folder. The "issue" here is that MP3 use requires paying for a license. Last time I checked, that didn't come cheap :S Now, I CERTAINLY could do it with .ogg files, but that would require conversion on your part. Tedious...

I definitely have the idea on the wish list...

(and yes, we plan on having a variety of music and information stations to pick from--again all a matter of time and resources)...

I've seen a workaround used by Audacity - support the loading of LAME if it's present, and noting where users need to drop a copy of it. If not present, you could just support items like ogg, flac or so on - but the option for mp3 is there for a little effort on the end-user's part.

Also note that the last of Thomson Multimedia and Fraunhofer IIS-A's MP3 patents expire in the US in 2017, so you might consider leaving framework in place and add it in an update down the road. (note they expired everywhere else in 2012)
    Last edited by draeath; 02-04-16 at 11:05 PM.
    Volunteer Rogue System Wiki Moderator
    Come visit the Rogue System Discord Server!

Maybe it is possible to add a Plugin interface which provides the game with an already decoded audio stream?

Any kind of in game audio playback would be awesome. It seems to be a desired function, any file converting wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12