NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 189 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: What about time? How will time be handled? Long distance travel? Time?Time?TIME?!?!?!

What about time? How will time be handled? Long distance travel? Time?Time?TIME?!?!?!

I don't even know if I can post here, but I keep seeing time related questions so here:

Q: How will time be handled in singleplayer/multiplayer?

A: tl;dr: In singleplayer you can travel in real time to and from your destinations, or you can enter SAN (Suspended ANimation), which will wake you up at a preset (by you) time or automatically before a braking burn, when you arrive, or when an anomaly occurs. For multiplayer, from what I gather, going into SAN will teleport your ship (or at least greatly speed the process up) to where it would be at one of the points listed above.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    Rogue System is single player in the Core Module, and I have already explained the different modes of transportation, and how you'll use those in conjunction with SAN (Suspended Animation) to "shorten" travel times. That said, if you wanted to fly a trip in real time you CAN. I leave that to the player. Obviously in multiplayer, you HAVE to have ALMOST instant travel simply to keep all the players in synchronization. My thought for this is to use the same mechanics as in Single Player, but "remove" the skipped time while in SAN. This will change the gameplay mechanic a bit, but the bulk of the experience will remain intact.
    hehe...

For single player:

SAN: Suspended ANimation, will be used in conjunction with "long" duration travel. The FLUX drive is a constant multi-g drive, which will cut travel time WITHIN a system to days. You COULD let the ship fly without SAN if you WANTED to travel the whole thing in real time, of course. The way it would work is this:

Calculate your trajectory
    Begin your constant burn
    enter SAN when you decide to.
    You will be woken from SAN when:
    --You instruct the SOI (Ship's Onboard Intelligence) to wake you, which could be any time you set
    --when it's time to start the braking burn (if you want to do it manually)
    --when you arrive at your destination
    --if something goes wrong, or something unexpected is found

For short-duration maneuvers there is an acceleration feature already (current up to x4)

When inter-system travel is introduced, the Dark Drive will be added. Again, travel will not be instantaneous from one system to another, so SAN will be required.

For Multiplayer:
    My current thought is to "ignore" the time that passes while in SAN, thus making travel time NEAR instantaneous. This would change the mechanics a bit of course. But as you say, all the players HAVE to be kept in sync, and this is normally the way it's done...

That said, if all the players on a server were playing cooperatively on the same ship, then of course they could all enter SAN at the same time, the time would pass, and they'd all remain in sync. So perhaps then there could be a server flag to allow SAN time, which would force all incoming players onto the same ship? This could let a group of friends work cooperatively in their own little persistent server...

Edit: As Blackphidora said, small ships won't have the Dark Drive. It would be feasible to force a group of players onto one ship, as all ships that could carry something like this would be multi-crewed...

ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    Perfectly fine to add FAQ suggestions if you see a subject popping up again and again--the reminder is always nice. There's already a few I need to add

Smile

Perfectly fine to add FAQ suggestions if you see a subject popping up again and again--the reminder is always nice. There's already a few I need to add
    i soo this problem