NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 530 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: public bug tracker?

public bug tracker?

Is there any merit behind such a thing? Instead of having to constantly patrol the forum for issues, it might make more sense to open up a public tracker for folks to search and submit to. Doesn't need to integrate with anything internal you have, but would kind of corral things into something you can work with a bit easier than random forum posts

Bonus points, you can use the same authentication system you use for the launcher (perhaps?) so that only folks with early access entitlements can submit and/or read.

The utility of this may feel small now, but the more and more people you have testing things out the feedback will explode

ISI Staff Staff Michael Juliano's Avatar
    I know. I've been thinking more and more about it. I'll talk with ISI and see if we can hash something out...

Trac and Mantis are good relatively simple options from my undertstanding. Bugzilla is a great choice but I've not personally seen what administration of it looks like. I also saw someone mentioning a wiki - might be a point in Trac's favor as it also stands in for that. Guess it depends on what ISI can do for you - I'm sure you don't want to administer web applications on top of working on the sim, but perhaps they have someone who'd pick up the torch.

Heck, I'd volunteer of I could promise any kind of reliability in my being there to manage the thing (systems engineer with an RHCE) but I don't think I could honestly lay down any commitments.

Let's discuss including a wiki in here. I'm a web developer, mainly work with PHP and MySQL, but I use Python from time to time for small tools and such.
    I volunter too. I can give it at least a couple of hours a day (at night GMT time and weekends).

If you all want to set something up I will support it as best I can. I know it's a lot of work...

Where are we in terms of hosting? I have a server with about a GB left of space and 20+ GB of available monthly traffic that I barely use (and I don't want to get rid of it, so I'm going to be paying it anyway), but it doesn't do Python, just Perl and PHP.

Again, I can talk with ISI and see if I can get a foundation arranged (or at least get them involved in the conversation)... I'd hate for you to have to use your own assets. I can give them a shout tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Juliano View Post
    Again, I can talk with ISI and see if I can get a foundation arranged (or at least get them involved in the conversation)... I'd hate for you to have to use your own assets. I can give them a shout tomorrow...
    My assets are currently gathering dust :P

But of course it makes sense for you guys to control the infrastructure of anything official anyway. Do talk to them.

I could have a talk with the web dev/admin from the community I'm in. We already have a wiki for our own community on a box with no data cap (I'm pretty sure atleast). Let me know if you can work it out with ISI otherwise I'll have a talk with him.

I should mention that I own the domain roguesystemwiki.com. I will gladly provide it towards the effort of a proper wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by cipherinthesnow View Post
    I should mention that I own the domain roguesystemwiki.com. I will gladly provide it towards the effort of a proper wiki.
    You just *happen* to own it? :P

Actually it is bad idea to let these thing being hosted by a random person.
    You never know when or where he will disappear and in worst case all access codes (login + passwords) are then gone, too.
    Then nobody can edit the data anymore. Or even worse the site goes down at the same moment.
    The new site has to build from scratch then. Problem gets bigger as longer the site is in use.

A random hosted site might even have a traffic limit on it. Which can mean that the site goes down every middle of a month.
    Sys specs: http://i.imgur.com/vwV4116.png|| Just tell me if my ideas / questions are getting too annoying. I tend sometimes to get lost in millions of new thoughts / ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizz Keryear View Post
    Actually it is bad idea to let these thing being hosted by a random person.
    You never know when or where he will disappear and in worst case all access codes (login + passwords) are then gone, too.
    Then nobody can edit the data anymore. Or even worse the site goes down at the same moment.
    The new site has to build from scratch then. Problem gets bigger as longer the site is in use.

A random hosted site might even have a traffic limit on it. Which can mean that the site goes down every middle of a month.
    Yeah, that's true. Specially for the bug tracker. That should be totally official and hosted by ISI/Michael.

As for the wiki, that can be a community effort no problem. Many games have more than one unofficial wikis. Although I find it a bit uncomfortable that someone went ahead and bought the domain right away before there had been barely any discussion as to how we were going to do it. But perhaps that's just me, I'm fussy like that

In any case, I'm available for volunteering as a moderator (but not on the forums), maintainer, editor of articles or whatever is needed. Until Michael has time to get back to us about all this I guess there is not much else to discuss.

For now I'd love to get some spare time to start documenting what each RGO does somewhat systematically. That way new modders won't have to figure it all out all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sallen View Post
    Although I find it a bit uncomfortable that someone went ahead and bought the domain right away before there had been barely any discussion as to how we were going to do it. But perhaps that's just me, I'm fussy like that
    I actually bought it years ago after the kickstarter failed for exactly this purpose. MJ can vouch for that as I emailed him about it at the time. No worries guys.

Quote Originally Posted by cipherinthesnow View Post
    I actually bought it years ago after the kickstarter failed for exactly this purpose. MJ can vouch for that as I emailed him about it at the time. No worries guys.
    Confirmed

Domain Name: ROGUESYSTEMWIKI.COM
    Registrar: GANDI SAS
    Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 81
    Whois Server: whois.gandi.net
    Referral URL: http://www.gandi.net
    Name Server: A.DNS.GANDI.NET
    Name Server: B.DNS.GANDI.NET
    Name Server: C.DNS.GANDI.NET
    Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Updated Date: 20-feb-2015
    Creation Date: 04-mar-2013
    Expiration Date: 04-mar-2016

i hope you guys know we live in 2015 there are thousands of FREE bugtracker services online, no one needs to host stuff. as example : https://trello.com/

just make an account and go
    Last edited by pin-lui; 06-24-15 at 01:01 PM.

Been using Trello for a while now, I think this is the perfect choice.

Simple and easy, but gives you enough possibilities to do what you want.

+1

Yeah I know Trello from Subnautica, it's really easy to understand and clear how it works.
    facilis descensus averni

I've never thought of Trello as a bugtracker. Always thought of it as an office collaboration platform/

Well there's no reason you couldn't use a card for each bug, and move the bugs around based on state (new, confirmed, fixed, invald, etc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast