NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 794 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.

Thread: AIW Editing

AIW Editing

AIW Editor:
    Creating a AIW file is relatively simple using the AIW Editor, yet does take some time and patience.
    Quality AIW files are not made quickly, be ready to spend some time.

I'll suggest creating a separate rFactor install for editing.
    This will keep your development files separate from what you use online.

Vista users may want to consider installing a copy of rFactor directly to C:
    You may run into issue with UAC permissions in writing the AIW files in C:ProgramFiles/rfactor

Download the 1255 AIWCAM Editor kit HERE.

The kit contains the AIWCAM Editor.exe, the rFactor AIW Editor Help.chm file and a Dev Folder.
    The dev folder contains images needed by the editors.
    The rFactor AIW Editor help file contains step by step, easy to follow instructions for creating a AIW file from scratch.
    While still learning the process, you'll probably want to run the editor in "windowed mode" so you can view this help file as a guide.
    To run the editor in windowed mode, start the rFConfig.exe and check the windowed mode box below resolution options.

Extract the contents of this kit directly to your rFactor directory.

First lets look at the process before entering the editor.
    Paths positions created:
    center path, pit path, garage path, find corridors, adjust corridors,
    grids, pits, garage, aux, slowdown, fast path, left path, and finally teleport spot.

Below are brief definitions of each action.

-Center path: Basically the center line of the track. Corridors are drawn based on these way points.
    rFactor also calculates fast and inside paths based on distances from the center path.

-Pit Path: Exiting the main track, down the pitlane center line, track re-entry.

-Garage Path : Exiting the Garage area, connecting to pit path.

-Find Corridors: Creates Corridors based of the paths previously run.
    The corridors represent where the AI are allowed to drive.

-Start spots (grid): Marks race start positions. Can be in the pits for rolling starts, or on the track for standing starts.
    Note that start positions are also controlled in the .GDB file.

-Pit Spots: Defines the pit locations.

-Garage Spots: Defines garage locations.

-Aux (pace car)Spots: Where the pace vehicle sits.

-Special Slowdown: Defines pit entrance slowdown point for the AI.

-Fast Path: Fastest path the AI will attempt to follow. (also creates "groove")

-Left Path: Path the left vehicle will take during formation/pace laps.

-Teleport Spot: Where to start when pressing space bar to skip pace lap.

For the step by step instructions with images, read the rFactor AIW Editor Help file.

Hi

Link to AIW editor (including dev folder) is missing from the post.

I would like to add the AIW-Video tutorial from Madcowie.

Download:
    http://mcr.rscsites.org/aiwvideo.rar

Hi Tim Wheatley,

I just downloaded the rFactor AIWCAM Editor v1.255 from the rFactor Dev page (see link below) but the zip file only contains the "rFactor AIWCAM Editor.exe" but no "rFactor AIW Editor Help.chm" file nor "Dev Folder" as you described in your previous post.

http://www.rfactor.net/downloads/uti...Editor1255.zip

When I load a circuit, I see the following error message three times (each time increments by 1 until 3)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AIWCAM_editor_error_1.PNG 
Views:	957 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	181

Then, after I start driving and I have selected "record a path," windows encounters a runtime error. See following screenshot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AIWCAM_editor_error_2.PNG 
Views:	974 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	182

Btw, I am running Win XP SP3.

I would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks.

You can get the missing files here: http://www.filefactory.com/file/agb5...r_DevFiles_rar .
    Not sure why they are not listed in the Dev Corner on the rF website.

A few things that aren't mentioned in the docs (or any tutorials I've seen) that probably should be noted:

Where the pace car "pits" before teleporting to its aux spot appears to be determined by the location of the Pit 1 waypoint when it is generated. This is especially important with short ovals like I've been working on lately, because of an rFactor bug wherein if the yellow comes out on the first lap, the pace car must have reached its "pit" before the leader gets to the point where the pace car should begin moving again. If it doesn't, its lights turn back on while it's still driving to its "pit", then it teleports to its aux spot and just sits there, lights blinking. Fatal error. Race has to be aborted.

Thus the only solution I have found is to start over from scratch and make the pit stalls such that the first pit stall reached is Pit 1, which should ensure that the pace car has "pitted" there (then teleported to its aux spot) before the leader can come around to begin the next caution period.

Another item not mentioned in any tutorials but quite useful is the SafetyCarReleaseDist value at the beginning of the [Waypoint] section. This seems to set a zone in which the leader will be when the safety car begins pulling out of the pits. The two numbers can't be identical, or closer than .01 apart, from what I've seen, but lowering the first number definitely makes the pace car pull out sooner, which can help alleviate problems of the leaders being ahead of the pace car by the time it pulls out. (Of course, it also makes it more likely to encounter the "frozen pace car" bug already mentioned.) And, of course, making the first value (0.850 by default) higher can delay the pace car coming out, if your problem is that the leaders have to hurry to catch the pace car. You may need to increase the second value (0.950 by default) in order for that to work, but it does.

I've been working on a really short track which has created a lot of headaches also in that in order to prevent the AIW from locking up upon loading the track, after I autogen the grid and save, I have to go into the text editor and remove grid spots above 40 or so, otherwise it seems the AIW editor cannot create the waypoints as too many waypoints are trying to share branches (e.g. with the pit path or other starting spots if they've actually wrapped around the whole track). It also seems to lock up after I do any manual change to pit/garage positions once the waypoints are set up, so make sure you set them up right the first time! (Strangely though, the track will load just fine in the actual rFactor application.)

It's also not mentioned that using Pit Extension 1 for any reason introduces the extra-laps-upon-ESC bug. It's best instead to use Pit 2 and then manually change all the wp_branchid=(2) to wp_branchid=(1), to create multiple pit (or garage) paths that work without the extra-laps bug.

Just some things I've had to figure out on my own...

Oh yeah: and you can smoothen the branching between the pit and main paths by grabbing the final or first waypoint of the pit path and several others of it, then using "normalize curve". This will attempt to join it to the main track path. Be sure to do it both when viewing the fast path and when viewing the inside/outside paths (you must do fast path separately from inside/outside). The fast path is what the AI cars will take when coming onto the track and when leaving the track; the inside path is what the pace car will take. No more sudden jinks or wiggles!
    Last edited by Keeper; 03-06-11 at 06:13 PM.

Is there a way to affect the AI's behaviour during the warm-up lap?

My problem is that if the AIs in front have to brake for a slow corner during the warm-up lap, some AIs in the back start catching up to the car in front of them and even crash or try to overtake. Is there any way to prevent that chaos?

Another question: What effect do the following commands in the AIW editor have on the AIW?

• Toggle Linespeeds
    • ForceLine

Here is my extension of Madcowie's video, showing some more detailed AIW editing tips that aren't in the docs.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SHFJ1YVZuE

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeANeto View Post
    When the safety car is deployed afterthe race leader open the lap, the first race car will drive slowly until to reach the SC again. Is there same way to increase this speed under yellow flag without the SC limiting the racers speed?
    Old post, but... I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're saying. Do you mean that the cars are slowing down, waiting for the safety car to get in front of them? In that case, you should adjust the SafetyCarReleaseDist which I explain briefly in my video. You can make the safety car release sooner so that the racers won't have to stop and wait for it.

Hi
    I would like to modify the aiw file with an external script, where can I find information about the structure file .
    I've a path recorded from a pilot and I would like to transfer it to the AI.
    Thanks you

Quote Originally Posted by sdecorme View Post
    Hi
    I would like to modify the aiw file with an external script, where can I find information about the structure file .
    I've a path recorded from a pilot and I would like to transfer it to the AI.
    Thanks you
    Double posting, i've answered HERE

It's compatible with Windows 7 x86? Here i got 2 "missing DLL's". But the third error is "MSS32.DLL not found".
    If you have God on your side, everything becomes clear.
    Ayrton Senna

I use W7 64bit and have no problems.

Did you try installing the latest DX9 version?

But do not use the webinstaller.

Use this one: DOWNLOAD DX9 Setup

I cannot open this in Win 10. I had to reinstall using 1255g to get the game working on win10 but AIWeditor does nothing when I try to launch the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I fear there is no chance to get it working with windows 10, it don't works with windows 8/8.1 also.

Look HERE

I fortunately still use Windows 7.