NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 562 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Project BruteForce2 - IONI-based DIY DD FFB Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by nikdek69 View Post
    Hi, just got an OSW (small Mige + Ioni pro), the behavior is strange, FFB seems to be inverted, VERY strong and exiting pits is impossible, the car wants to turn the other way...
    Is there any magic setting for rf2 ?
    BTW the OSW is ok in iRacing and AC, but in GSCE and R3E no.. maybe because they all use directx input

cheers
    Nicola
    Make sure that in the [your ffb controller filename].json file you have this: "Steering effects strength" : -10000,

Beat me to it nicola- yup [emoji115] you need to invert the ffb and all is well after.
    Marcus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was talking to ollie and he says you only need the PSP-600-48 (600w, 48v) PSU to drive the LARGE MiGe to 27.9 Nm and 25A to the IONI Pro HC because the Discovery Shield capacitors actually hold a lot of reserve power so you only need a relatively small PSU... What do you guys think?

Hello pioneers,

What a great OSW DIY thread this is!

After reading this thread and below linked PDF file, I started my OSW DIY project although I'm a noob for this kind of HW area. I already ordered 1X IONI Pro HC kit and will order small MIGE(seems enough for me), Antek linear PSU(PS-6N50), DISCO board and etc.

http://boxthislap.org/wp-content/upl...BruteForce.pdf

Actually I'm not familar with HW schematic but I got the idea how to wire and connect each other thanks to the detailed explanation and pictures. BTW I'm blocked at using external case. For the external case, I have a mind to use Coolermaster Elite 130 as it seems able to cover bigger linear PSU.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/min...ries/elite130/

Reviewing this thread content, I got to know the following interfaces needs to be exposed for external connection on the case. In case of PC assembly, there is already pre-made connection plate in the mother board and I don't have to worry about it. But for this DIY, I need to make whole things.
    1) Fuse
    2) Main power switch
    3) Power filter 10A
    4) 2 * USB thru connector // Discovery board
    5) D-SUB DB15 2ROW 15PIN // Motor encoder calbe
    6) Industrial EStop
    7) Motor power calbe 4PIN

Q1) First, I have no idea how to cover this empty back plate in the case. Normally PSU is located in upper side and main board's connectors are located in lower side. But I use linear PSU and no PC mother board is used in the DIY project. Firstly I need to know how to cover this back side(using what?) and start considering how to make interfaces for above list.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	box_back.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	18974

Q2) Once back side cover is prepared, need to make holls for 1),2),3) and 4) maybe via drilling. If Q1 is resolved, I think I can make this happen although I don't have skillful hands.

Q3) For the D-SUB 15 pin connection, I find somethig like below but it is not for 15pin(2row) and I couldn't find similar one for the 15 pin. Anybody knows if there is this kind of product(or just bracket) for 15pin(2row)?

Name:	D-SUB.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	18973

Q4) I don't have idea what can be used for industial Estop interface and motor power connection using 4 pins on the case.

As of now, I know the concept of the connection. But I'm a little blocked at finding and selecting interface connectors. Any of your suggestion, guidence or help would be very very appreciated. I'd like to make the back side of the case like something like neat below(captured from MarcusHwang's blog).

Name:	hwang.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	18972

Thanks for reading.

EDIT:
    I see that DISCO board and IONI don't have holes for attachment. I found board edge mounting kit which makes these boards can be attached to plate. But in the case, I also have no idea how these can be attached. I'd like to know or to see how to attach them to the case and how layout in the case.
    Last edited by softslider; 01-06-16 at 07:34 PM. Reason: to add questions

Quote Originally Posted by Spinelli View Post
    I was talking to ollie and he says you only need the PSP-600-48 (600w, 48v) PSU to drive the LARGE MiGe to 27.9 Nm and 25A to the IONI Pro HC because the Discovery Shield capacitors actually hold a lot of reserve power so you only need a relatively small PSU... What do you guys think?
    IMHO a better option would be to buy a 800W/1000W Linear Power supply from Antek.
    AnTekinc

Why not just buying the PSU which is proven to work and avoid the unnecessary fuss about will the smaller voltage PSU work or not. Go with the one that is used in most kits and have no stress about it.

Because I'm buying off Ollie has he has been fantastic with me and I feel he deserves my money...

Quote Originally Posted by hwangm View Post
    Beat me to it nicola- yup [emoji115] you need to invert the ffb and all is well after.
    Marcus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    THANKS i'LL TRY

Quote Originally Posted by softslider View Post
    Hello pioneers,

Q1) First, I have no idea how to cover this empty back plate in the case. Normally PSU is located in upper side and main board's connectors are located in lower side. But I use linear PSU and no PC mother board is used in the DIY project. Firstly I need to know how to cover this back side(using what?) and start considering how to make interfaces for above list.

Q2) Once back side cover is prepared, need to make holls for 1),2),3) and 4) maybe via drilling. If Q1 is resolved, I think I can make this happen although I don't have skillful hands.

Q3) For the D-SUB 15 pin connection, I find somethig like below but it is not for 15pin(2row) and I couldn't find similar one for the 15 pin. Anybody knows if there is this kind of product(or just bracket) for 15pin(2row)?

Q4) I don't have idea what can be used for industial Estop interface and motor power connection using 4 pins on the case.

EDIT:
    I see that DISCO board and IONI don't have holes for attachment. I found board edge mounting kit which makes these boards can be attached to plate. But in the case, I also have no idea how these can be attached. I'd like to know or to see how to attach them to the case and how layout in the case.
    Since earlier questions, I did some web searching and found some answers by myself.

Q1,Q2) I found acrylic plate 5T can be used with laser cutting for the back panel.

Q3) I've spent huge time finding the port bracket but failed. Any good suggestion?

Q4) For the motor power and ESTOP, I decided to use Neutrik 4pole/3pole connectos. The reason for 2 different types is to avoid any mis-plug-in.

If there is OSW owner with CoolerMaster Elite 130 case, it would be very helpful to share how to layout each component and wire in the case.
    Maybe someone can show very nice layout also considering EMI.

I just get to have one more noob question. I have IONI HC drive which is different than IONI PRO explained here.
    In this case, can I use same schematic for wiring? Maybe just FW is different. Correct?

Any news from Granite Devices?

btw. could someone explain me, how it is, than ARGON sends AC current to motors, while IONI sends DC current?

Quote Originally Posted by LesiU View Post
    Any news from Granite Devices?

btw. could someone explain me, how it is, than ARGON sends AC current to motors, while IONI sends DC current?

Since MIGE is an AC servo motor, output from both Argon AND Ioni to electric motor is tri-phase AC with variable frequency and voltage.
    Input is different, with Argon you don't need an external DC Power supply because it is embedded.
    So you can feed Argon with 220AC but IONI needs DC.

In the tech spec. for IONI Pro HC I only see:
    - Motor voltage rating 12-60 VDC
    - Motor current rating 0.2 – 23A

No mention about AC motor voltage, while for ARGON drive you have:
    - Integrated AC mains power supply: single phase 85 – 264 VAC 50/60 Hz, 0 – 16 A

If IONI in fact can output AC voltage to drive an AC motor, why there's not a single word mentioned about that?

Of course, I sent the question to the manufacturer over a month ago and never got any reply from them.

In the tech spec. for IONI Pro HC I only see:
    - Motor voltage rating 12-60 VDC
    - Motor current rating 0.2 23A

No mention about AC motor voltage, while for ARGON drive you have:
    - Integrated AC mains power supply: single phase 85 264 VAC 50/60 Hz, 0 16 A

If IONI in fact can output AC voltage to drive an AC motor, why there's not a single word mentioned about that?

Of course, I sent the question to the manufacturer over a month ago and never got any reply from them.
    Yeah, whatever...that voltage rating is for BLDC or Stepper.
    For IONI specs pls refer to this:http://granitedevices.com/wiki/IONI_specifications

As a matter of fact if you feed MIGE (and Lenze and Kollmorgen) with DC it wont run, since it is an AC motor it needs a "rotating electromagnetic field" to rotate, and you can have that only if you feed it with AC current.

Yes, I was using that site... if you actually look into it, you won't find any information about AC voltage rating.

Yes, I was using that site... if you actually look into it, you won't find any information about AC voltage rating.
    In the "Motor Output" section, the line "Maximum effective motor phase output voltage" reads : "3-phase AC motors: Vsupply*0.775 V RMS (phase-to-phase)"

So in our case (48V DC power supply) the IONI will feed the MIGE with 3-phase @37.2 VAC RMS max.
    Voltage is modulated from 0 to 37,2V in order to feed the necessary current to obtain the requested torque.
    Modulation of rotational speed is obtained through frequency variations.

OK, that's what I couldn't grasp - that "Vsupply", which I was expecting to be as AC output voltage rating provided somewhere, is actually DC input. Thanks for explanation.

Hi all

I've embarked on the journey to build an instance of the OSW using the IONI Pro drive, "Small" MiGe Servo motor and STM32F4Disco controller as well as the wireless wheel buttons side project (nrf51822 BT modules).

An enormous thanks to Beano MMos, Martin Ascher (and many others) for the selfless hours and effort put in to aid commoners like me to stand a chance at successfully completing this project.
    Last edited by Gabriel; 01-23-16 at 05:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by softslider View Post
    Since earlier questions, I did some web searching and found some answers by myself.

Q1,Q2) I found acrylic plate 5T can be used with laser cutting for the back panel.

Q3) I've spent huge time finding the port bracket but failed. Any good suggestion?

Q4) For the motor power and ESTOP, I decided to use Neutrik 4pole/3pole connectos. The reason for 2 different types is to avoid any mis-plug-in.

If there is OSW owner with CoolerMaster Elite 130 case, it would be very helpful to share how to layout each component and wire in the case.
    Maybe someone can show very nice layout also considering EMI.

I just get to have one more noob question. I have IONI HC drive which is different than IONI PRO explained here.
    In this case, can I use same schematic for wiring? Maybe just FW is different. Correct?
    There's so much info on the iRacing forums it's worth being a member just while you do your build.

Name:	20151217_163759.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	19172Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2375783.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	19173Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151217_164749.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	299.2 KB 
ID:	19174Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151217_165321.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	225.6 KB 
ID:	19175
    Last edited by cookie; 01-23-16 at 07:47 PM.

Hi cookie,

Thanks for the pictures. They are definitely helpful. As you suggested, I'll consider being a iracing member for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinelli View Post
    Because I'm buying off Ollie has he has been fantastic with me and I feel he deserves my money...
    Yesterday is arrived mine osw from Ollie, simply perfect! The shipment is arrived in 2 boxes and everything was very tidy and sealed.

So, after dinner, I started to mount this beast, and about midnight everything was ready.
    I only tested for about 10 laps but it's another world compared to my "old" t500.
    Italian Racers Team ||| Andrea Team Club Autostoriche
    La vita un rischio e se non si rischia che vita ?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast