NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 562 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Project BruteForce2 - IONI-based DIY DD FFB Wheel

Thanks for the posts Beano. A lot of good info here.

Has anyone incorporated the use of a slip-ring into any builds?
    Realistic FFB settings with Accuforce (responsive mode): Accuforce settings

Cheers Paul, you're welcome Mate.

I am looking into designing a drum-type slipring, but also playing with wireless button interface and inductive charging. I will post more on that in the near future.

Beano

Quote Originally Posted by wgeuze View Post
    There is truth to that indeed, but you do get what you are paying for. I'd want decent buttons, shifters, clutch, proper display, etc. Not something which still feels (and looks a bit)
    like a toy wheel (despite some cheeky marketing slogans). It just gets expensive pretty quickly and that csw rim, well, it does look good (despite some things I personally don't like about it)
    and is priced really, really well, considering the electronic quick release. But, you generally get what you pay for, the formula V2 rim is creaking already at times, on a V1 base :P

The ability to change settings on the fly, on the wheel, is something I would give up instantly if there is the wheel I would like to have in the $500 range with all the ingredients I mentioned
    above. Is it impossible? No it isn't, but sometimes things cost what they cost and when a company wants to make a living, well..
    I agree. If you're already building something like an OSW, you might as well get a good wheel to go with it, and if you want a decent, modern formula type wheel, it'll get expensive pretty quick. If you're building the OSW yourself, you can probably figure out how to make the wheel too, since you can buy almost all of the components practically ready to go, it would just be a matter of mounting them onto the wheel and hooking up the cables, so you could save a bit by doing it yourself. However, even doing it yourself, the cost of just an SLI pro and a decent rim, would be around $500 USD alone, and you'd still need buttons, dials, paddles, quick release, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Cheers Paul, you're welcome Mate.

I am looking into designing a drum-type slipring, but also playing with wireless button interface and inductive charging. I will post more on that in the near future.

Beano
    Sounds interesting, i look forward to reading about that. The one thing i don't like the thought of, is having cables loose on something like this, it would be much nicer to have a system where cables from the rim aren't needed.

I've had about 2 different types of electronic QR's , both have been a nightmare ( eventually )

I've noticed on the AF forum on Iracing some are now having trouble with theirs, since I got rid of the electronic QR's and simply used a coil wire to USB ( button/paddle connection ) no hassle what so ever & I'll never go back

never notice the coil wire, it's no trouble at all

I realise a very high grade electronic QR is needed in the real world but not necessarily for sim racing

just my opinion

p.s a wireless interface would be even better, if it were zero hassle & cheap, saying that it would need a battery of some kind
    ( I'd still prefer coil cable )
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianstealth View Post
    I've had about 2 different types of electronic QR's , both have been a nightmare ( eventually )

I've noticed on the AF forum on Iracing some are now having trouble with theirs, since I got rid of the electronic QR's and simply used a coil wire to USB ( button/paddle connection ) no hassle what so ever & I'll never go back

I realise a very high grade electronic QR is needed in the real world but not necessarily for sim racing

just my opinion

p.s a wireless interface would be even better, if it were zero hassle & cheap, saying that it would need a battery of some kind
    There are quite a few having problems with the slip-ring on the AF, but i'm not sure of the percentage of owners. I had one issue where the buttons and shifters completely stopped working for several seconds and then came back on it's own. Haven't been able to replicate it since, but i also have driven very much since.

I'd have no real preference of whether it's a slip ring, or some sort of wireless interface, just as long as it works. I'm sure there are very good options available for our application, it's just a matter of finding them.

Question photo's please ;-)

just my opinion

Could you share a photo please Adrian, specially from the wheel with cable mounted on the bodnar?

sure, there you go, hope this shows what you want to see

the coiled cable meets the servo cables & simply plugs into a USB extension straight to the PC,
    when I change steering wheels I simply unplug & plug in new wheel ....takes seconds only

I wear the rift and never bother what the coil cable is doing, no trouble what so ever
    + the beyond money QR is rock solid zero play ....only solution for a servo
    ( other solution is no QR & just bolt on but hassle if you want to change steering wheels )
    Last edited by Adrianstealth; 06-11-15 at 05:50 PM.
    [SIZE=5][/SIZE

Thanks really appreciate it.

I use electronics from logitech wireless joystick for buttons and paddle shifter.
    Downside of the electronics are it uses
    3 AA batteries and it has quite big foot print..
    I still think its safer to use wireless system than usb cable because if something goes wrong and the wheel starts to spin and there are no physical endstops to stop it.. [emoji33]

You could replace those 3 AA's with a small 3.3v lipo, that would probably work a bit better.

I like the wireless kb modules because every time you change wheels you are not changing your controller setup/order and mucking the sims configs up.

Wow thanks so much beano for that guide...
    I'm thinking in buying/making a OSW due my CSW is broken again 5th time tha motors die ( now outside of warrantie).
    Bought a t300 for the moment to play.

Now i will be waiting your news for osw with ionis x1 board, that i think will be the best option..

I dont have acces to iracing forum to compare small mige vs big mige vs lenze, anybody could put their impresions on them? (Lenze not an option for me due its high price...

Any place where we could buy a osw kit with all pieces and i mount it? (With ionis route and possibility to choose x1 or x4 board) no need rim as i will use my bmw rim from the fanatec..(in europe and sending to mallorca, spain)
    Last edited by clock; 06-26-15 at 12:37 AM.
    Cockpit ERS+Fanatec (CSW+BMW M3 GT2+CSP v2)+TH8 RS+Asrock P67 Pro3 B3+I5 2500K 3,3@4,6 OC+8 G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600+SSD crucial M4+Sapphire R9 290+3x21.5" 5760x1080.

Everything arrived to my house, motor, IONI 1x and other components.
    The IONI 1x connectors and pinoputs are different from the IONI4X, I'm trying to sort it out, but, in order not to burn the IONI, I'm waiting for Beano to complete the wiring diagram for the 1X

Thank you in advance!

Hey Beano,

What Rotary encoders or optical sensors do recommend for the steering? i'm going to eventually duplicate all that you've done here on a DIY job, but due to a time crunch I'm under right now, for now I'm adapting a Logitech Driving Force GT board to an old arcade style FFB steering system. I'm looking through the Digi-Key website to order some encoders, but its a bit overwhelming all the options and prices... So any advice along these lines would be a huge help.

My osw loses the power in some heavy spins, it happens to someone?

Dude... O.O
    Learn, Share & Teach @ Modder's Hangout...

sure, there you go, hope this shows what you want to see

the coiled cable meets the servo cables & simply plugs into a USB extension straight to the PC,
    when I change steering wheels I simply unplug & plug in new wheel ....takes seconds only

I wear the rift and never bother what the coil cable is doing, no trouble what so ever
    + the beyond money QR is rock solid zero play ....only solution for a servo
    ( other solution is no QR & just bolt on but hassle if you want to change steering wheels )
    Just saw this pic now...Is there anyway not to have 20 ft of space between the wheelrim and the base? I'm already going to have to lower my FOV of the the game because of the big motor (screens will be further back from me) but, wow, that huge gap is going to make the distance even larger...

Quote Originally Posted by Led566 View Post
    Everything arrived to my house, motor, IONI 1x and other components.
    The IONI 1x connectors and pinoputs are different from the IONI4X, I'm trying to sort it out, but, in order not to burn the IONI, I'm waiting for Beano to complete the wiring diagram for the 1X

Thank you in advance!
    Took a long time but...OSW realised with IONI-Pro and IONICUBE 1x

Everything works as expected.
    Thank you Beano and all the people involved in virtualracing.org, racingfr.com and drivingitalia.net

What's the IONICUBE again?

Project BruteForce2 - IONI-based DIY DD FFB Wheel

Its the board with 1 PCI slot where IONI Pro card goes. There's also IONICUBE 4x board for 4 IONI cards, each card could control 1 motor, but I guess that would be for another purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinelli View Post
    What's the IONICUBE again?
    Post #3

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast