Thread: Can I run rFactor on Windows 7?

Can I run rFactor on Windows 7?

rFactor will run on Windows 7 32/64 bit. We have many users running rFactor on Windows 7 without issue. Most issues running under Windows 7 can be resolved by right-clicking on the rFactor.exe and selecting "Run As Administrator...".

Note that when using Windows 7 with UAC (User Account Control) enabled, your rFactor User files will be saved in a subfolder of your Documents folder instead of the rFactor installation folder.

I am currently running Windows 7 32 bit off my Macbook on bootcamp and every time i go to run rFactor it says that there is a newer or equivalent version of directX already installed.

Bootcamp on a Mac is not a supported environment.
    Please continue with this thread for assistance.
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.ph...rectx+bootcamp
    Please see the FAQ section for solutions to common issues

Perhaps it's useful to add in the first post that windows 7 users can automatically run the application as administrator by right-clicking on rfactor.exe -> select properties -> go to the compatibility tab -> and check run this program as adminstrator at the bottom. (I'm guessing labels here cause I use a Dutch version of windows).

That way people can't accidentally forget to run it as administrator.

Yes, I have tried that and that didnt do anything. Is there any way to uninstall DirectX 11 and install direct X 9. Im just using the windows side for games so whatever gets rfactor to work is fine with me. Before my mac had problems I had windows xp installed in bootcamp and rfactor worked great. Also would anyone happen to know if rfactor 2 will run off direct x 11?

You could try selecting "YES" when prompted to update directx when installing rFactor as this may install files not currently available in the directx release you have. This won't downgrade your directx.

I don't think it's necessarily a directx issue, but rather the environment you are running it in, since rfactor works fine on a Windows 7 PC system.
    Please see the FAQ section for solutions to common issues

True, don't try uninstalling DX11 if your gcard runs that. All higher DX versions include, actually "emulate" previous versions. So you can just skip the DX install portion of a new or stand-alone rFactor install.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    True, don't try uninstalling DX11 if your gcard runs that. All higher DX versions include, actually "emulate" previous versions. So you can just skip the DX install portion of a new or stand-alone rFactor install.
    Windows 7 does not have any DX9 or earlier files, you must install the DX files that come with all software as some of these files are game specific.
    Download the latest DX9 and install even if you are told the file is newer on your computer, it will not overwrite DX11.
    http://www.friendly-online-gamers.net/forum/ CPU: Intel I7 2600K @ 4.6GHz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Memory: 24GB DDR3 OS: 10 Professional 64bit Video: Nvidia GTX980 4GB

Exclamation Not Finding Profile

Hi,

I can't seem to find my player data. In my old laptop it's all fine but I just built my desktop yesterday and this is my first time with Windows 7, so where could rFactor have placed my user data?

I checked under My Documents but only GTR 2 is there, and even that doesn't show the Gui Cramer stuff. Help please, thanks.
    Last edited by Guimengo; 01-30-12 at 01:38 PM.

Please don't skip ANY DX install. It does NOT downgrade anything, but can install missing files which stop older games running...

Quote Originally Posted by Guimengo View Post
    Hi,

I can't seem to find my player data. In my old laptop it's all fine but I just built my desktop yesterday and this is my first time with Windows 7, so where could rFactor have placed my user data?

I checked under My Documents but only GTR 2 is there, and even that doesn't show the Gui Cramer stuff. Help please, thanks.
    So it turns out it was buried in a hidden folder under "Me>AppData>Local>VirtualStore>ProgramFilesx86>rFa ctor", wow! And if anyone else runs into the same problem, here's an alternative solution - paraphrasing John from ISI:

"Windows chooses the storage location based on your user account settings (User Account Control (UAC)). You’d have to change your UAC settings, but some people may not want to do this for security reasons. If you do, though, you’d be better off uninstalling rfactor, setting your UAC settings, then reinstalling rfactor. Otherwise, things can get messy."
    Last edited by Guimengo; 01-30-12 at 09:16 PM.

Upgrading to Latest Version of rFactor

I recently changed my computer from a dual core (Windows XP Pro) to a quad core (Windows 7) so my whole system is new. I'm trying to install rFactor on my new computer but I get up to patch 1081 beta successfully but when I try to run the next patch (1250), it says the version of rFactor that is needed is not found. Can someone please help me to find the correct installment patches to run in the correct order (or if there's "one" patch that will update to the latest from the initial version.
    Thanks,
    Russ

Just install rF Lite. It is slim and already up to date.

http://rfactorcentral.mediafire.com/?90ekn1g93elwj3u

Worked like a charm Noel... THANKS!!!!

I have found on Win 7 64 bit, if you create a partition specifically for rFactor, and install rFactor or rF Lite to it you do not have to play around with Run as Admin, it fires up normally and all user data is in the appropriate directory, not My Documents

I believe the run as admin comes into play if installed to the system partition of your computer, Win7 doesn't trust .exe's it is unfamiliar with running from the system partition.