NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 70 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chapman Track Creator

Quote Originally Posted by TChapman500 View Post
    Okay, I got some help from Traveller on the topic of deciphering GMT files.

@SPASKIS
    You said

Does it count if you replace the "BTB" part of that statement with "Sandbox" (the NR2003 track editor)? Because what I'm doing is pretty much making a much more powerful Sandbox track editor that can also make rFactor 1 and rFactor 2 tracks.
    I'm not into such specific details. What I meant with BTB type tool is something user friendly where typical tasks for track editing have a specific tool for it. BTB has many gaps to fill but the way it works makes it very simple to use.

enviado mediante tapatalk

Okay, thanks.

I'm terribly sorry about not keeping this thread up to date. The first post has been updated!

I have just made a breakthrough in the development of this track editor. Progress has taken-off like a rocket!

Nice to hear! Keep going and TIA

TIA?

It's nice to see that you're still involved with this. What's the nature of your breakthrough? Is the program able to create objects in any race sim formats? I've looked through the first post, the thread, and the links. I can see your planned features, screenshots of the user interface, and a few things about custom data types, but what would get people excited would be something like a screenshot of a track that your program has made (taken from game, not the editor).

The nature of the breakthrough has to do with the coding side of the objects that will be used to construct the tracks. I've been running around in circles trying to figure out my approach to programming those object types so that they can be put to use. And I've finally figured that part out. The plan is to program all of the types of objects that will be used to build tracks for any simulator, then build a race track as I'm programming the UI so that I'm testing the code at the same time that I'm developing the race track AND the track editor. Once I'm satisfied with the results (eg: able to accurately represent the track and build it so that the sim doesn't crash or otherwise fail to load the track), I'll start the open-beta stage.

By "objects", I do not mean the scenery around the track. I mean the components that will be used by the user to construct the actual geometry of the race track (eg: each segment of the track is an object that the user has placed as well as each section within that segment).

There will be screenshots from the simulator of the tracks built by the track editor.

I have updated the first post to give the various stages of development and indicate the current stage.
    Last edited by TChapman500; 01-10-15 at 12:59 PM.

I reformatted the hard drive of my laptop, so there will be a couple of delays as I get everything back online (the editor project is on a separate computer, so it was not affected by the format).

I have just made a breakthrough in the development of this track editor. Progress has taken-off like a rocket!
    Best of luck and hopefully the momentum is sustained! Grand Prix 4 once had a mystique around its tracks and it took a few years and endless hours of work but a wise Frenchman cracked the code and created a track editor. If you can create a tool that'd cause similar "revolution" for rF2 you could be directly responsible for some dream tracks to make their way from dreams to possibilities.

This looks like a fantastic project. Hopefully all goes well and you learn a lot from coding

Even thou I can 3d model I am still keen to check it out. Looks very promising.

Thanks. I've been learning a lot about coding over the past few months, even trying different compilers (though this editor will be made exclusively with visual studio).

I've also been thinking about putting this thing on kick-starter.

EDIT: How's this for code optimization: One object type can be used to represent about half of the total types needed to construct the race track (so far).
    Last edited by TChapman500; 01-15-15 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Addition to prevent double-post.

I feel like I've turbo-boosted into a wall! I made my breakthrough just days before a disk space crisis. So now all progress on the track editor is halted until almost all programs not essential to the immediate development of the track editor are removed.

That's the best kind of crisis, losing data is the worst!

Quote Originally Posted by Guimengo View Post
    That's the best kind of crisis, losing data is the worst!
    How true. It's also better than losing 250 gb off of hard drive capacity, which is what I discovered when I tried to transfer the project back to a recently reformatted hard drive.

EDIT: For now, the disk space crisis is over. Progress has been resumed.
    Last edited by TChapman500; 01-20-15 at 06:04 PM.

It's great that you're paying attention to the behind-the-scenes things. It'll really pay off later on when (not if) you want to update things, and when people are dealing with large tracks with lots of objects and large textures.

How much do you understand the format of gmt files for the two rFactor games? What about the formats used by the other games you intend so support?

For the ISI simulators, I understand a good portion of the GMT file from rFactor 1, but not the MAS or ANM files. I currently don't have any rFactor 2 GMT files to study so I know almost nothing about those file formats. For NR2003, I know a little about the 3DO and DAT files. I also know a good portion of the PTF file and all of the LP file. The SBX file for NR2003 is irrelevant as it is only used by the Sandbox track editor.

I'm focusing more on implementing enough objects with enough features to be able to utilize all of the in-simulator features available for race tracks. Once that is in place, I'll implement a way to save the project files (at the same time, I'll be doing a lot more research on the files that I do not yet fully understand). Once saving of the projects are in place, I'll implement a way to export the project to the selected simulator.

For the ISI simulators, I understand a good portion of the GMT file from rFactor 1...I also know a good portion of the PTF file and all of the LP file.
    Great news. Mas files aren't so important. They only need to be made at the end, and there are existing tools for that.

Another useful feature would be to have a central place where materials and 3d objects are stored, while also allowing modified versions to be stored in the project's directory, which would take priority.

In BTB some errors can make it impossible to load a project, so it would be wise to think about how your program will deal with problems like that. For example, if a material cannot be loaded for whatever reason, use a brightly coloured placeholder instead, along with something to show the user where it is being used.

It would also be nice to allow the user to modify clip planes. People who make large tracks will like this, and if the distances can be reduced it will make it easy to work with the track in side view without other sections getting in the way.

Cool project. This reminds me of when everyone said Nords was impossible and then Preclaire total noob came out of nowhere and had a Nords conversion in game with many improvements in a matter of weeks.
    Professionalsimracing.com - Latest Post = Sim Racing Focus Tool

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    Great news. Mas files aren't so important. They only need to be made at the end, and there are existing tools for that.
    Neither are DAT files (NR2003). But it would still be nice to know them. I just don't have to learn them right away.

Another useful feature would be to have a central place where materials and 3d objects are stored, while also allowing modified versions to be stored in the project's directory, which would take priority.
    I was thinking along similar lines, except that each game-supplied track would be its own texture/object pack as well as whatever directory was referenced by all tracks. While at the same time, allowing users to put their own, track-specific textures/objects. The editor would do all of the hard work of making sure that they don't get confused with each other.

In BTB some errors can make it impossible to load a project, so it would be wise to think about how your program will deal with problems like that. For example, if a material cannot be loaded for whatever reason, use a brightly coloured placeholder instead, along with something to show the user where it is being used.
    This track editor will be designed to be able to open projects with missing textures/objects, as well as being useful as a track debugger if a track fails to load in-game.

It would also be nice to allow the user to modify clip planes. People who make large tracks will like this, and if the distances can be reduced it will make it easy to work with the track in side view without other sections getting in the way.
    I've added this request to the list in the first post. Request accepted.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast