NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread and information may be out of date. The last post was 70 days ago. Please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chapman Track Creator

3DS Max does not have cross-sectioning. That is, not unless you really know how to manipulate splines in 3DS Max.

Updated first post.
    Last edited by TChapman500; 12-05-13 at 06:46 PM.

I'm having trouble implementing the 3D accelerator. So for now, I'll work on getting the file formats up. Here's a little code-snippet (which will vary from the final result).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	code_snippet_01.PNG 
Views:	201 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	11064

Should I copy the first post of this thread and start a new thread on the rF2 forum?

I think you should start a new thread but add a link to this one. That way all discussion can be kept in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by TChapman500 View Post
    I'm having trouble implementing the 3D accelerator.
    Feel free to ask - here or via PM.
    I may not be able to reply immediately, but I could still help a lot.
    SRPL Shader Pack v0.92 is now available for modders: announcements / discussion
    "Be kind whenever possible. It's always possible." - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I think you should start a new thread but add a link to this one. That way all discussion can be kept in one place.
    Already done. There is a thread in "Current Products -> rFactor 2 -> Modding -> Track Modding"

Quote Originally Posted by K Szczech View Post
    Feel free to ask - here or via PM.
    I may not be able to reply immediately, but I could still help a lot.
    Okay.

I'm currently working on the code for the NR2003 geometry. Note that the NR2003 and ISI geometry objects will be incompatible with each other.

Do you think a maximum of 2 billion track segments will be enough?

If you were to build Daytona using 1-foot track segments, you would use only 13 thousand segments.

I am not sure what do you mean with segments. Rfactor uses tris of about 1m by 2m which is 1m2 in area. A 10 m wide by 5000m would be about 50.000 m2 or tris, as you want. More or less that is about 5Mb gmt altogether. You are speaking about 40.000 times more. Right now a 200Gb track surface would kill any computer so I think it is a good number of tris.

enviado mediante tapatalk

The track will be built using splined segments, which will then be used to by the editor to generate the polygons that will be used by rFactor.

It looks like my hard drive is about to break down. So instead of working on the editor, I'll be backing up the project files.

I will (try to) post regular updates to my blog here: http://tchapman500.blogspot.com/

I'm working on a formula to predict the characteristics of D-Ovals, Tri-Ovals and Quad-Ovals. But I need to narrow the number of unknowns down to one or the equation will not be solvable. The trial-and-error method will only serve to slow the program down.

I've posted a few updates on Facebook that I forgot to post here. First off, the track's Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chapm...16403485222139.

To get you up to speed, I've been working on putting in handles for the various objects that will be used to build the tracks. I've decided on having those handles store structures rather than classes for performance reasons. Classes store both data and functions while structures generally store only data and therefore will have a smaller memory footprint than classes. The classes will be used to retrieve and modify the data stored within the structures.

Great thing. Good progress I'm looking forward to try your Track Creator
    alpha-bravo

Thanks.

Here's another update. Because the page has 25 likes, it can now have a URL that is easier to remember. Just type in "ChapmanTrackCreator" after "facebook.com" and you'll find it.

I made a new spreadsheet that you can use to make the more "complex" tri-ovals, quad-ovals, D-ovals and figure-eight tracks. I have a backup just in case, so go ahead and play around with it. I'm going to put a similar system in place for the track editor, though you might not get quite the level of precision that you get in this spreadsheet (depending on the data-type used by the editor for positioning and heading information).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0E&usp=sharing

This update is a bit late, but I've installed a new hard drive on my computer and have resumed work on the track editor. Stay tuned for some new previews.

First post has been updated. Here's a new screenshot of the New Track dialog box.

Name:	NewTrackDialog.PNG 
Views:	154 
ID:	11925
    For rFactor and rFactor 2, the "Full Track Name" is what goes into the "VenueName" line of the Event.gdb file.

The "Primary Course Name" is what goes into the "TrackName" line of the Event.gdb file. For single-course tracks, this is the same as "Full Track Name." For multi-course tracks, it can be the "Full Track Name" plus an appended "Oval" for example. Or the "Oval" example can be put in without the "Full Track Name."

Some Examples:
    Example 1 (multi-course oval):
    - Full Track Name = Daytona International Speedway
    - Primary Course Name = Oval
    or
    - Primary Course Name = Daytona International Speedway - Oval
    Example 2 (single-course road or oval):
    - Full Track Name = Bristol Motor Speedway
    - Primary Course name = Bristol Motor Speedway

The "Track File Name" is the physical name of the file given to the folder containing the track as well as the files containing the track data. The Naming convention for rFactor is typically either "TrackName" or "Track_Name." Examples:

Track File Name = NewHampshire

Directory Result
    NewHampshire
    NewHampshire/NewHampshire.mas
    NewHampshire/NewHampshire_Maps.mas
    NewHampshire/NewHampshire.tdf

Quote Originally Posted by TChapman500 View Post
    First post has been updated. Here's a new screenshot of the New Track dialog box.

Name:	NewTrackDialog.PNG 
Views:	154 
ID:	11925
    For rFactor and rFactor 2, the "Full Track Name" is what goes into the "VenueName" line of the Event.gdb file.

The "Primary Course Name" is what goes into the "TrackName" line of the Event.gdb file. For single-course tracks, this is the same as "Full Track Name." For multi-course tracks, it can be the "Full Track Name" plus an appended "Oval" for example. Or the "Oval" example can be put in without the "Full Track Name."

Some Examples:
    Example 1 (multi-course oval):
    - Full Track Name = Daytona International Speedway
    - Primary Course Name = Oval
    or
    - Primary Course Name = Daytona International Speedway - Oval
    Example 2 (single-course road or oval):
    - Full Track Name = Bristol Motor Speedway
    - Primary Course name = Bristol Motor Speedway

The "Track File Name" is the physical name of the file given to the folder containing the track as well as the files containing the track data. The Naming convention for rFactor is typically either "TrackName" or "Track_Name." Examples:

Track File Name = NewHampshire

Directory Result
    NewHampshire
    NewHampshire/NewHampshire.mas
    NewHampshire/NewHampshire_Maps.mas
    NewHampshire/NewHampshire.tdf
    Hi TC,
    What are your expectations about the time it will take you get the first functional beta version?

I am really interested in dedicated software for building tracks and for sure can help providing feedback, ideas, ...

However, up to today this thread has been something that IMO only a software developer would be interested in reading and where the target end user like myself probably does not undestand anything.

This makes me lose interest in the thread since my perception is that it will take years before anything where I can contribute is released.
    I could be wrong but I have no other input so that I can have a different idea.

I guess that when you open this thread you are pretending to get back something from it. I don't know if you wanted feedback more from IT people or from end user profile people.

Dont take me wrong. I thought you would like to know what your final target public perceives when reads this thread.

enviado mediante tapatalk

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast